E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Adaptive Headlight Error! Xenon light out!

05-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
simmo1985
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
Before i took the bumper and head light off i actually did do the hair dryer trick. It came out great!

The next morning it was all wet inside again

So this time with the extra silicone and all the access panels sealed up nicely, I'm hoping it should be perfect. I do want to also add the silicone packets. Can you buy those anywhere? I usually just toss them when i get them.
Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #24
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Good backup plan, thanks. Didn't think of something like that.

That would be great for very light fogging.
Just for the record, you can get silica gel packets on Amazon. I keep some in my camera bag, cause my expensive lenses don't really love water all that much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Even better than the Philips Ultinon 6000Ks? Oh man Stone, you're tempting me to swap!

If they're a direct factory replacement, I wonder why the guide mentions "cutting involved." Sounds scary!

I usually have the dealer swap out my xenons, so if you do think they're that much better than the Phillips ultimate 6000k D1S bulbs, I will definitely pull the trigger based on your recommendation!
Significantly better than the 6000K Philips Ultinons. No question in my mind. I'm not sure why the guide says there is cutting involved...that doesn't make sense to me. Dimensionally they're just like any other OEM D1S bulb what sets the Osram CBI's apart is the salt mix inside the glass capsule, so I can't figure out where the cutting comes in...

Pull the trigger. DO IT. Just give them 10-15 hours to burn in and get going. The color may seem a little muted at first, but once they burn in, you'll notice that colors really start to pop and that it really is printer-paper white light.
      05-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Done. Thanks Stone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #26
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Done. Thanks Stone!
Nice

Post up a review when you get them. Im curious to see what you think! Im excited for you lol
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #27
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90
Quote:
Done. Thanks Stone!
Nice

Post up a review when you get them. Im curious to see what you think! Im excited for you lol

Thanks!

I hope you get everything resolved bro- you have a hell of a lot more balls and I do, touching those headlights, but it seems like you know what you're doing- just looks like the headlights didn't cooperate for some reason or another...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

So i took off my PS headlight to take a closer look at the projector pointing up way high. I took the rear xenon bulb access panel. I took the bulb out and tried moving the projector assembly and it was able to move freely.

So looked at it for a few secs and saw which motor was for what and i took out the motor for up/down because left/right movement was good and not free-moving.

Turns out, that theres a plastic ball on the end of the servo motor that clips into a track that allows the motor to push/pull making the projector go up/down. It somehow popped out of the track. So i unbolted the servo motor, pulled the projector all the way up making the track closest to the back access panel and popped the ball back into the track. Then i bolted the servo motor back in place, popped the wiring harness back in. Good as new. Took me about 5 mins with the headlight out.

The projector is now solid and isn't able to freely move on its own anymore.

After searching it seems like this is a somewhat common problem and others did the same thing to reconnect the servo to the projector itself. This happens from a big jolt from large potholes.

After all that was good. I took the xenon bulb from my DS headlight which was not lighting and i put it in my PS headlight, which i know is good. Plugged into the car and it lit up. So that tells me that the DS ballast is bad from getting wet/corrosion inside the ballast itself. Most likely the AHL module is bad as well on the DS so ill have to order that also.

I found new ballasts on ebay for $150. They're the same Lear brand as Oem. I also found the AHL module for around the same price on ebay new. Same brand as oem as well. Has anyone ordered these on ebay new? Is it too good to be true? I think the ballast is 400 new from BMW and the AHL around 250-300 from BMW.

Last edited by AWDBooSTIn90; 05-11-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #29
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Heres a thread that goes into detail on the problem that we both had and how to fix it.

Nice writeup w/ pics
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...eadlight+servo
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #30
e92ry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 328i

How do you check if your car is LCI/Pre-LCI? I have an 07 328i with yellow rings on it right now, but I was about to order some MTEC V3's... but this thread makes me worry a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #31
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

2007 is pre-lci

Me changing the yellow halgoen bulbs to leds did not cause a problem.

I think that just me disturbing my headlights, after they've been leaking in water for a while, made the water drip down to the ballast/AHL module below the headlight and caused all my problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #32
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
2007 is pre-lci

Me changing the yellow halgoen bulbs to leds did not cause a problem.

I think that just me disturbing my headlights, after they've been leaking in water for a while, made the water drip down to the ballast/AHL module below the headlight and caused all my problems.
Almost 100% likely.

I'd also just like to suggest another option. I don't like it, but I feel like it needs to be said. Your headlight housings don't match--which means that one of them is probably a junk-y knockoff light. The light housings should be mirror copies of one another. The fact that one projector shroud has writing and another doesn't concerns me.

You *could* replace the housings, but salvage the good electronics (ballasts, xenon control units) and buy the bulbs yourself. But it sounds like at this point all of the electronic components (1x ballast, 2x xenon control units) need to be replaced, along with both bulbs. If the housings are shot too, it might just be best to order new housings and put the new parts on the new housings.

Hell, at this point, you could just go ahead and convert to the LCI front. But still get the CBI bulbs

I'm just not quite sure what your long terms plans for the car are or your current financial situation is. So that's your call. But if the integrity of the housings has been compromised, then maybe it's unwise to put new electronic components into a broken system

Again, sorry you're having such shitty luck with these lights.

One final idea--contact Luis @ OSS. He may have access to good-quality headlight housings. He can even put in the good full-LED rings. You buy the electronics (xenon control units, ballasts, bulbs) and you install the lights. That's certainly more cost effective than a LCI conversion.
      05-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #33
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Jesus, OP is a pretty damn amazing DIYer...glad things are turning the corner for you with this mess brotha- and the best part about it is YOU'RE making it happen!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #34
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

The headlight is not a knock off headlight. Its made by Lear. Which the same brand that is made for bmw. Most likely someone bought these because they're exactly the same as the BMW headlight but without the lettering and bmw symbol. I compared them both back to back and they're identical besides the markings.

Im trying to seal them without replacing it because its like brand new. The lenses is perfectly clear and not a scratch on it. Before all this happened everything was great.

Im definitely going to keep this car for a while. I do, eventually want to do a lci mtech conversion up front and a 335is rear bumper with m3 side skirts. So i dont want to replace the headlights just yet until i figure out what im definetly doing. When the time comes ill most likely buy new lci headlights to get that nice oem bmw led angel eye look.

Either way ill definitely get CBI xenon bulbs. Ill probably get the CBI bulbs when i know the headlights are 100% sealed so they cant get ruined and ill be able to take them and put them into any new headlights i get.

To avoid ruining any new components i get. Im going to reassemble everything the way it is now. I wont drive it at night. And ill see in a week or two if i see any water getting into the inside before i order the new parts.

I have my DD to use when i need it so im not in a rush.

I also have a bunch of other stuff im doing to it.

I bought new 335is motor mounts, oem oil filter housing gaskest, intake manifold gaskets, and e46 m3 transmission mounts. Im also having DR. Carbon come over to walnut blast my valves. So i have a lot of work to do lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #35
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To avoid ruining any new components i get. Im going to reassemble everything the way it is now. I wont drive it at night. And ill see in a week or two if i see any water getting into the inside before i order the new parts.

I have my DD to use when i need it so im not in a rush.

I also have a bunch of other stuff im doing to it.

Ah, I thought this was your DD! So I was thinking about getting your car back on the road as fast as possible--but if it takes a few weeks to resolve it's not the end of the world!

In that case, take your time, and I definitely like the idea of sealing everything up with your new sealant job and seeing how it performs. If all goes well, do the electronics overhaul.

Good luck!
      05-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #36
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Sedan

Quote:
Done. Thanks Stone!
I have been looking for a set for myself too and Stone just helped me make up my mind. I was thinking of the Philips from HPB but will go with the Osram's.

By the way does anyone know what are the inner lights supposed to do on a E90 LCI? I have a 2009 328i Sedan E90 LCI with the Bi Xenon adaptive headlight system and the inner one never seems to come on. Karim, a member of this forum did some coding for me earlier and he told me that he was surprised that they are not on as DRL's even though I have them activated.

Originally back in 2011 I had purchased a set of Angel Eyes and fogs from Alex @ Alpine (a member on this forum, not sure if he is around anymore) and he coded them for me that time. I am not sure if he changed anything or damaged any bulbs or anything.

Any idea's Stone?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #37
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
I have been looking for a set for myself too and Stone just helped me make up my mind. I was thinking of the Philips from HPB but will go with the Osram's.

By the way does anyone know what are the inner lights supposed to do on a E90 LCI? I have a 2009 328i Sedan E90 LCI with the Bi Xenon adaptive headlight system and the inner one never seems to come on. Karim, a member of this forum did some coding for me earlier and he told me that he was surprised that they are not on as DRL's even though I have them activated.

Originally back in 2011 I had purchased a set of Angel Eyes and fogs from Alex @ Alpine (a member on this forum, not sure if he is around anymore) and he coded them for me that time. I am not sure if he changed anything or damaged any bulbs or anything.

Any idea's Stone?
The inner bulbs are cornering bulbs! Ever notice how (when the headlight switch is in auto) when you turn the wheel the projectors swivel with it? When you take a corner, or put on a blinker below a certain speed, the cornering bulbs turn on. When you put the car on reverse, both cornering lights turn on for 30 seconds or so. Easy test, just park in front of a building with a glass facade, and shift in to reverse.
      05-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #38
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
The inner bulbs are cornering bulbs! Ever notice how (when the headlight switch is in auto) when you turn the wheel the projectors swivel with it? When you take a corner, or put on a blinker below a certain speed, the cornering bulbs turn on. When you put the car on reverse, both cornering lights turn on for 30 seconds or so. Easy test, just park in front of a building with a glass facade, and shift in to reverse.
Thanks for the info Stone. I actually tried it today and had my wife turn the steering wheel on either side and i realized that it is a cornering light and came on when the wheel was turned to the right but the DS doesn't come on. I think its time to go to the shop unless you know of a DIY to check it and fix the issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #39
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info Stone. I actually tried it today and had my wife turn the steering wheel on either side and i realized that it is a cornering light and came on when the wheel was turned to the right but the DS doesn't come on. I think its time to go to the shop unless you know of a DIY to check it and fix the issue?
The fix is super simple, takes less than two minutes. It's probably the easiest bulb to change on the car, and unlike the angel bulbs, you won't need your wife's hands to change it! The cornering bulb is an H3 bulb. I used these bulbs because they do a really good job of putting out white light (and I'm okay w/ the higher wattage b/c the lights are on for such little time) but these basic bulbs will do just fine, and since they're on for such little time, it's hard to justify paying more!

Let me see if I can find a DIY on here, and if not, I'll whip up a few pics to make a DIY.

But if I can't find one, the process is extremely simple. There's a slip-on rubber piece that helps cushion the contact between the hood and the top of the headlight--pull that off. On the very top of the headlight, you'll see a triangular-ish access panel held down with three screws. Unscrew said screws. The bulb is held by pressure through a folding mechanism, simply unclip it, disconnect the spade from the bulb. Insert new bulb, reconnect spade, screw on top cover, reinstall rubber piece, close hood, done.

If it still doesn't come on, have her shift it in to reverse at night, both will definitely come on. If it's burnt out it will throw an error.
      05-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #40
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

I think rolling stone is a headlight expert! Very helpful!

So now i have something else to add to the list to buy, thanks a lot stone...always making me spend $$.... Upgraded cornering bulbs. I like the ones you posted up ill get those soon.

It definitely helps that its not my DD, but i enjoy working on it. I put alotta hours in yesterday. Got the DS leaky headlight resealed! Put the fixed PS headlight back in. Then put the DS back in after it sat for a little. Got the bumper back on. Cleaned all the inner fender wells. Put all the shields and covers back on all cleaned up and took for a ride.

So heres my plan. Im going to use the car for a week, mostly during the day and see how the headlight holds up. When im confident that the seal has been fixed and water is not getting in. I will buy the new xenon ballast and AHL ecu/module.

The only drawback to this method is...i cant figure out how to get the AHL module unbolted and out with first removing the headlight. Therefore the bumper must come back off. Now the bumper is very easy and straightforward to remove. Its just a tedious process and i dont want to keep removing and installing the bumper. I dont want to deal with it not lining up and not looking perfect like it is now.

As far as the bulbs. I emailed someone from The Retrofit Source, where they sell the OSram CBI and he was telling me that theres an even better bulb out now called Osram NightBreaker bulbs. Have you heard of them before?

He's also looking into upgrades for the projectors itself. They have better lenses/shrouds available to increase light output
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #41
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think rolling stone is a headlight expert! Very helpful!

So now i have something else to add to the list to buy, thanks a lot stone...always making me spend $$.... Upgraded cornering bulbs. I like the ones you posted up ill get those soon.

As far as the bulbs. I emailed someone from The Retrofit Source, where they sell the OSram CBI and he was telling me that theres an even better bulb out now called Osram NightBreaker bulbs. Have you heard of them before?

He's also looking into upgrades for the projectors itself. They have better lenses/shrouds available to increase light output
Alright! If you pick up those cornering bulbs, you don't need the Luminitics PhP harness. Or at least, I've been running them without the harness since February of 2012 and I have no problems.

I like your plan--that will definitely help determine whether or not you have fixed the problem.

The Osram NightBreaker bulbs are very good--I've been out of the HID game for a little bit and more in the LED game, so I was unaware of those. But the color temperature is the more standard 4300K, not the pure white 5000K. I think the CBI's "look" better than the 4300K bulbs, but in terms of raw lumen output the NightBreakers may have an edge. Keep in mind that the human brain/eye will not do a good job of perceiving an increase in brightness unless it is approximately 20% brighter than the previous state. So in short, both of those bulbs are the cream of the crop. Pick the color temp you like and run with it, but I like the CBI's for their pure white goodness

People have done clear lens upgrades on the projectors, and the cutoff has improved significantly (a sharper cutoff with more blues and purples on the "fringe"). I believe the appropriate lens is the ZKW-R, though the gurus at TRS will know better than I.

A full projector upgrade is probably unnecessary and overly complicated--the only one that might fit without massive headaches (major invasive cutting, modification or disabling of the adaptive headlight system) would be the Hella EvoX-R projectors. That not to say that you couldn't remove the cornering lights and put in another set of projectors, but I would definitely NOT change out the main bixenon projectors--the lens is fair game though

Alright, not to humblebrag, but here's my little project I'm going to get done soon. I want nicely matched white light everywhere (sans turn signals) on the front of my car. HIDs in reflector fogs are crap, they blind oncoming drivers and make driver visibility worse in fog because of all the light scatter. LED PnP bulbs have the same problem. So I wonder what the solution would be...I wonder if it's possible to retrofit the OEM LED reflector fog lights from the F15 X5

Last edited by rollinstone157; 05-13-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #42
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Alright! If you pick up those cornering bulbs, you don't need the Luminitics PhP harness. Or at least, I've been running them without the harness since February of 2012 and I have no problems.

I like your plan--that will definitely help determine whether or not you have fixed the problem.

The Osram NightBreaker bulbs are very good--I've been out of the HID game for a little bit and more in the LED game, so I was unaware of those. But the color temperature is the more standard 4300K, not the pure white 5000K. I think the CBI's "look" better than the 4300K bulbs, but in terms of raw lumen output the NightBreakers may have an edge. Keep in mind that the human brain/eye will not do a good job of perceiving an increase in brightness unless it is approximately 20% brighter than the previous state. So in short, both of those bulbs are the cream of the crop. Pick the color temp you like and run with it, but I like the CBI's for their pure white goodness

People have done clear lens upgrades on the projectors, and the cutoff has improved significantly (a sharper cutoff with more blues and purples on the "fringe"). I believe the appropriate lens is the ZKW-R, though the gurus at TRS will know better than I.

A full projector upgrade is probably unnecessary and overly complicated--the only one that might fit without massive headaches (major invasive cutting, modification or disabling of the adaptive headlight system) would be the Hella EvoX-R projectors. That not to say that you couldn't remove the cornering lights and put in another set of projectors, but I would definitely NOT change out the main bixenon projectors--the lens is fair game though

Alright, not to humblebrag, but here's my little project I'm going to get done soon. I want nicely matched white light everywhere (sans turn signals) on the front of my car. HIDs in reflector fogs are crap, they blind oncoming drivers and make driver visibility worse in fog because of all the light scatter. LED PnP bulbs have the same problem. So I wonder what the solution would be...I wonder if it's possible to retrofit the OEM LED reflector fog lights from the F15 X5
aren't the nighbreakers way cheaper than the CBI's? Why so? Makes me wonder. I prefer a pure white light output and so I was going to go with the CBI's today but now with this new info you guys have me confused!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #43
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Aren't the nighbreakers way cheaper than the CBI's? Why so? Makes me wonder. I prefer a pure white light output and so I was going to go with the CBI's today but now with this new info you guys have me confused!
Well, their price may be lower since they don't use the custom salt mix that the CBI's do. I should rephrase what I said. The Osram NightBreakers are probably the best 4300K-ish bulbs on the market. But I prefer the pure white output (and it seems you do too) and in that case, the CBI's are definitely the best bulbs on the market.
      05-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #44
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Oh man those led fog lights look really cool! So they use all led bulbs for the light output?

They look like they wouldn't be too hard to retrofit into the stock setup. Maybe take apart the insides and put in stock fogs or make some custom mounts.

If you do this, take a lot of pics. Im very curious on how this will come out.

As far as bulbs. It makes sense what your saying about the color. Im deff. going with the CBI bulbs!
Appreciate 0