E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Buying used, high milage 328xi wagon



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

Buying used, high milage 328xi wagon

Hi guys,

I'm a long time fan, never had the opportunity to buy a new BMW (likely will never buy new 8) but with a small budget set aside, I'd like to get a chance to see what it's all about..!

I'm looking for a used car Audi or BMW wagon (preferably..) for under $15K Canadian, I'm eyeing 2 cars at the moment.. a beautiful Audi 2006 A6 3.2 Avant with 125k on the odo, the car's beautiful, but as usual, we can never get the maintenance records when buying used at a 3rd party dealer.. (what a joke!).

And, the other car is this beauty. It's a 328xi awd sport package 2009 navi, etc. But, it's sadly high milage.. 178k. See for yourself :

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions...teLocale=en_CA

Now, I'm a married man, 3 boys, trading in my Honda Pilot as there's no need for such a huge beast, and I miss "driving" a real car.. my daily driver is a (hold your breath), a 2009 Elantra.. Got feels like I've been castrated!

How reliable are the BMW engines, what are things to look for and avoid (yes you'll all say high milage..) but is it common to have good running BMW cars? I'm coming from a Honda/Acura/Subaru/Mazda world..

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
ccraig13
Second Lieutenant
6

 
ccraig13's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ


Posts: 232
iTrader: (0)

Depends If you're into keeping up with maintenance on your cars. I would stick to non-German brands if you feel an oil change interval is just a suggestion
__________________
2007 328xi E92 6MT Jet Black/Coral Red | NJ BMW CCA | Tracks: NJMP
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

I'm usually at every 5000km if i love the car.. lets say this is the first time I let my car go over 10,000 without an oil change. Yes thats how much I love my elantra. =) But yes, if the car treats me well, i'll return the favour.

So, assume best thing is to bring a bmw mechanic to inspect the car for me and go from there?

how good is the nag system in these cars if i compared it to my current garmin/tomtom setup?

thanks for the response!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
3

 
GarlicBread's Avatar
 
Drives: 328xi iDrive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rochester, NY


Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

Great car I have a 07 sedan and have about 100k miles on it now. No issues for me except the valve cover gasket. If you maintain it well you should be good. It doesn't have as many issues as a 335
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
3

 
GarlicBread's Avatar
 
Drives: 328xi iDrive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rochester, NY


Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

As for nav new gps will look much better but I like the convenience of in dash
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Digtlartst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90x 6MT Alpinweiss
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside The Beltway


Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

That is a beautiful blue wagon but wow that car was driven a LOT. The engine may have many more miles left in it but with that mileage I'd be concerned about the auto transmission, the differentials and transfer case. Also the cooling system. Manual trans are bullet proof. The front diff on my 06 touring went out at 65k miles and it's a very expensive fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
joekitch
Second Lieutenant
12

 
joekitch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: massachusetts


Posts: 293
iTrader: (0)

definitely get a "prepurchase inspection" by an indie bmw mechanic. you can get them inspected at a bmw dealer but its much more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

Thanks guys for the feedback. Agreed its a beauty but worried about the possible soon to come repairs. Im used to doing my own work on the past cars I had thanks to good diy's and the used part market. . Subaru and honda were great for this. Hows it on the bmw side? Looks like a good member community here which is comforting

I'll have to go in person and get my gut feeling working.. so far that audi's caught my heart too. And winters are long here in montreal. . I miss my subaru

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Digtlartst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90x 6MT Alpinweiss
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside The Beltway


Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

Audi reliability isn't any better. I've owned enough fun-driving VW's to be burned too many times: Jettas, Passats, 4s, V6s, didn't matter. Every one was utter mechanical crapola in my experience -- never again for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
smithe90
I've been around
United_States
33

 
smithe90's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 F30 328
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Long Island, NY


Posts: 720
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to smithe90
Hell at that mileage everything probably already broke at some point and was already replaced, one way to look at it! hah
__________________

2014 F30 328i XDrive - Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Apps. BSM On Black. M Perf Exhaust

RETIRED - 2007 328xi - M3 LCI Rep Front, LCI Hood, M3 Trunk Lip, 18' F30 397 Rims, Muffler Delete, ECS Geomet Rotors, Brushed Steel Vinyl, Full CIC Retrofit, MULF2 Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
Hell at that mileage everything probably already broke at some point and was already replaced, one way to look at it! hah
haha honestly I thought the exact same thing, at that milage it's probably already been replaced!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digtlartst View Post
Audi reliability isn't any better. I've owned enough fun-driving VW's to be burned too many times: Jettas, Passats, 4s, V6s, didn't matter. Every one was utter mechanical crapola in my experience -- never again for me.
I'm even looking at a few jetta TDI wagons, but the ones `i saw already had major rust coming through. Man complete rust buckets, as bad as Mazda's and honda's.. they just don't last the winters here in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
smithe90
I've been around
United_States
33

 
smithe90's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 F30 328
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Long Island, NY


Posts: 720
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to smithe90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzy View Post
haha honestly I thought the exact same thing, at that milage it's probably already been replaced!
I must say that is a really nicely equipped car, beautiful exterior color, nav and xenon too.

Wait do you mean 178km... meaning only 111k miles...? Thats not nearly as bad as 178k miles. Might have confused some of us Americans. 178k seemed unusually high...
__________________

2014 F30 328i XDrive - Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Apps. BSM On Black. M Perf Exhaust

RETIRED - 2007 328xi - M3 LCI Rep Front, LCI Hood, M3 Trunk Lip, 18' F30 397 Rims, Muffler Delete, ECS Geomet Rotors, Brushed Steel Vinyl, Full CIC Retrofit, MULF2 Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
13

 
Drives: '06 330i ZSP,ZPP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: north of Boston


Posts: 418
iTrader: (0)

Remember folks, this car is in Canada and the odometer reading is in kilometers. 178K kilos is around 110K miles. If this car has been well maintained, it should run well for a long time. I bought my '06 330i 5.5 yrs ago at 107K miles. Now it's at 152K miles and runs great. Over the years, I've replaced a few things (water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket, blower motor, but it has never stranded me and the things I replaced were done proactively, or to stop a leak. Never a big deal and my experience is just one data point. Less than $3000 in repairs over the years. Cost does not include maintenance and tires. This car eats tires!

Good luck with your decision.
__________________
'06 330i MT, sport,premium
'05 XC70 (family truckster)
'05 Sienna XLE LTD AWD (road tripper)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
jcut825
Private
3

 
jcut825's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WA


Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Is it just me or does something look really off with the headlights in the pictures. Its like they are cross eyed? Right side is pointing down?

Edit: Exhaust also doesn't look 100% stock to my eye. Or the brushed aluminum trim on the paddle shifters or gear selector. I thought 328s had chrome and 335s had the brushed?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #16
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
I must say that is a really nicely equipped car, beautiful exterior color, nav and xenon too.

Wait do you mean 178km... meaning only 111k miles...? Thats not nearly as bad as 178k miles. Might have confused some of us Americans. 178k seemed unusually high...
Thats correct, it's 178k not miles. =)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #17
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbuzzy View Post
Remember folks, this car is in Canada and the odometer reading is in kilometers. 178K kilos is around 110K miles. If this car has been well maintained, it should run well for a long time. I bought my '06 330i 5.5 yrs ago at 107K miles. Now it's at 152K miles and runs great. Over the years, I've replaced a few things (water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket, blower motor, but it has never stranded me and the things I replaced were done proactively, or to stop a leak. Never a big deal and my experience is just one data point. Less than $3000 in repairs over the years. Cost does not include maintenance and tires. This car eats tires!

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks, this is good news and hopefully I get as lucky with my choice. I'm going to see a silver 09 wagon tomorrow also, but no bells and whistles.. since its next door, may as well, But they're asking $25k which is ALOT more than the high mileage $14K blue one I posted above fully loaded.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #18
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcut825 View Post
Is it just me or does something look really off with the headlights in the pictures. Its like they are cross eyed? Right side is pointing down?

Edit: Exhaust also doesn't look 100% stock to my eye. Or the brushed aluminum trim on the paddle shifters or gear selector. I thought 328s had chrome and 335s had the brushed?
I will pay careful attention to this, perhaps Canadian models are a bit diff? (for the aluminum part). The headlights I'll need to look into

edit : by the way, the front view is taken with a fish eye lens, distorting the photo so it fits into the frame..

Last edited by jezzy; 05-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #19
19Ambitious335ie92
Enlisted Member
United_States
1

 
19Ambitious335ie92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Cape Elizabeth, ME


Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Don't buy either.
If you cannot afford a car with low miles you are looking outside your price range. Go buy a honda or a toyota with low miles you'll spend less time in the garage
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #20
jezzy
Lieutenant
Canada
6

 
jezzy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E91 325xi Black Wagon
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Montreal, Canada


Posts: 498
iTrader: (10)

been there done that, need something different, I can afford it but used with so-so milage.
thanks for the honest feedback tho!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #21
Mardio
Brigadier General
33

 
Drives: 2013 335is space grey
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF


Posts: 3,114
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Ambitious335ie92 View Post
Don't buy either.
If you cannot afford a car with low miles you are looking outside your price range. Go buy a honda or a toyota with low miles you'll spend less time in the garage
+1 save your cash, both of these are pricey to fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 01:22 AM   #22
jcut825
Private
3

 
jcut825's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WA


Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzy View Post
I will pay careful attention to this, perhaps Canadian models are a bit diff? (for the aluminum part). The headlights I'll need to look into

edit : by the way, the front view is taken with a fish eye lens, distorting the photo so it fits into the frame..
Good call on the fish eye lens. I would just take a quick look anyhow to be safe. When I got my car I did not notice a small headlight issue and that does cost some money to fix.

All the best.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST