E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Nanoskin or Clay bar

06-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #23
DetailersDomain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: FJ Cruiser

I would agree on jet black which is relatively soft paint I would take care, it can leave marring on paint just like a clay bar, plan on doing some polishing after and you should love the results.
DetailersDomain is offline   United_States
      06-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
originalgoods13
Private First Class

Drives: 2014 X5 xLine

I definitely agree that it is highly possible to mar your paint with clay or nano skin. I have Black Sapphire Metallic on my 14 X5 and it left some marring on the body using light Motion with Meguiar's clay
      06-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #25
originalgoods13
Private First Class

Drives: 2014 X5 xLine

...always expect a light polish with a DA polisher after you clay or nano skin
      06-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Hokie_BMW
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i coupe

I have a jet black 335 and have clayed it twice so far with nanoskin and haven't had many marring issues. Once was done by hand with the 3" pad and the other with the 6" pad on my griots DA. I only had one instance of marring and it was when I first got it and didn't use enough lube on my dad's audi.

If you're careful and use enough lube you'll be just fine! A light polish or glaze after is a good idea though.

Last edited by Hokie_BMW; 06-18-2014 at 10:05 AM.
      06-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #27
schach23
BMW enthusiast

Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

I just finished cleaning my BSM paint with the fine nanoskin wash mitt I bought from Detailed Image. Wow is all I have to say. Now given I have never used clay, the nanoskin was extremely easy to use. I used Meguiars quick detailer as the lub which worked great. Took me maybe 30 min. Paint very smooth. Maybe the areas just behind the wheels didn't get perfect but overall very pleased.
      06-30-2014, 02:07 AM   #28
Detailed Image
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by schach23 View Post
I just finished cleaning my BSM paint with the fine nanoskin wash mitt I bought from Detailed Image. Wow is all I have to say. Now given I have never used clay, the nanoskin was extremely easy to use. I used Meguiars quick detailer as the lub which worked great. Took me maybe 30 min. Paint very smooth. Maybe the areas just behind the wheels didn't get perfect but overall very pleased.
Glad to hear you had good results. For those tough areas the more aggressive pad may help, but I prefer my Clay Magic bar for stuff like that, either the blue/fine or red/medium. Also be sure to try IronX and or TarX (or Tarminator) on some areas like that as these will quickly remove stubborn dirt, etc. eliminating the need for "padding" or claying.

Ivan @ DI
Detailed Image is offline   United_States
      06-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #29
schach23
BMW enthusiast

Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by schach23 View Post
Glad to hear you had good results. For those tough areas the more aggressive pad may help, but I prefer my Clay Magic bar for stuff like that, either the blue/fine or red/medium. Also be sure to try IronX and or TarX (or Tarminator) on some areas like that as these will quickly remove stubborn dirt, etc. eliminating the need for "padding" or claying.

Ivan @ DI
Thanks!