E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > wet sanding expectations....

06-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Haywire
Haywire, brand new BMW owner :D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

wet sanding expectations....

I recently had my car wet sanded after having my passenger side door keyed. Some of the impressions were super deep, obviously those have to be touched up with paint. Now for the other areas, not so deep...should there be any evidence that the key mark was there to begin with, or should I still expect to see the impressions.

I'm not satisfied with how it looks, at the same time, I don't exactly what I should expect from a wet sand. I was assuming it would look like new. I was told it would be better to wet sand and keep the integrity of the paint, opposed to going for a repaint that wouldn't live up to the factory paint job standards (is that true too?)

Thoughts.......

Last edited by Haywire; 06-11-2014 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Do you have pictures? Or any indication of how deep the key mark is?

Since you can still see it, it could mean a few things.

Maybe whoever sanded it for you didn't do a very good job or didn't do it evenly.

Maybe your key marks vary in depth, meaning different levels of sanding would be required.

If it can be caught on your finger nail, that's pretty gnarly and difficult to save. Touch up is pretty much only for small rock chips too. I would advise against using it to fill in a key mark. You're going to end up with a line that looks very obviously filled in.

And no, wet sanding should be your last option short of repainting. Repainting is going to be better regardless of anything you can think of.
Appreciate 0