E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Clay bar

10-31-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Alpine White M Sport

Clay bar

Just reading about this on other threads:

1. What would be a good clay bar to buy and where from?
2. What clay lubricant would i use?
3. Would i need anything else other than these to products to use "clay" on my car?

Thanks
ECBMW is offline   United Kingdom
      10-31-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Bumps
Captain

Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
EC I wouldn't use clay unless it's absolutely necessary ie you have lots of crap bonded to the paintwork, and you can do more damage than good unless you're very careful.

When I had my 1 series I asked this on babybmw.net (they have a resident professional detailer), and he said to do it with great caution. You could say "yes but he would so you may go to him for a full detail" but his advice is pretty good and impartial. Others on here have used clay and it's done them well but I think when my car needs it I'll pay the 250 or so to get it professionally detailed.

See this thread for details http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7397

Sure there must be stuff on this site too in the other areas.
Bumps is offline   United Kingdom
      10-31-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Yahoo
Captain

Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Mequires detailer spray and clar bar is good. The pack is £20 or so, but if you take your time with it you can achieve some exceptional results. I only use each clay bar once though, so I only do it every year or so.
      10-31-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
sheps
Colonel

Drives: C63 AMG

Send a message via MSN to sheps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Mequires detailer spray and clar bar is good. The pack is 20 or so, but if you take your time with it you can achieve some exceptional results. I only use each clay bar once though, so I only do it every year or so.
That's the same system that I use.

Works very well indeed.

I 2nd the comment about using the bar just the once - as soon as it's visibly dirty it's given its best, and re-use of a bar runs the risk of dragging the contaminants that you've previously removed across your paintwork.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
sheps is offline   United Kingdom
      10-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
OriginalFrak
Private First Class

Drives: I have a few...

Garage List
My 2 Cents

Get a gallon of Megs Last Touch from Clean and Shiny. Superb Clay Lube and Great for drying the car after a wash to a streak free finish. (and topping up your last waxing)

Also worth investing in a 16fl Oz Spray Bottle + Spray Head from same place.
It makes it easier to dilute the LT.

If it's your first time - I'd go for a clay bar like Sonus Green - it's less aggressive than megs and your less like to come a cropper - and use plenty of lube (I'll have done probably a bottle of the above on a clay session depending on temperature of the body)

Lastly - NEVER EVER re-use a clay bar. I divide mine in to 6 or so pieces (1 piece for each section)

As soon as you see contaminent on the clay that could scratch the paint - throw the piece of clay away and grab a new bit.

The weight and pressure of your fingers on the clay should be enough - DO NOT SCRUB.

Once a year is generally plenty if you keep the car looked after.

Unless you live next to a railway line - when the rail-dust could really get stuck in.
      10-31-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow

Garage List
My 2 cents. Get Meg's smooth surface clay kit - 2 bits of clay, and a spray gun of Meg's quick detailer to use as lube. About 20 quid from halfords. It is pretty gentle. Here's some videos. If you have heard of Jay Leno he's in the first one:

http://www.meguiars.com/video/index_...h%20Clay%20Kit

The test is whether your paint feels glass like after washing or if it feels a bit rough.
      11-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Gibbo
Colonel

Drives: Golf Ed35

Claying can be a bit intimidating when you first do it. Follow the guys advice above and be very gentle with the pressure you use and plenty of lube to avoid scratching the paintwork.

I would regularly change clay like they suggest but good condition old bits work wonders on clearing hard to move brake dust form your alloy wheels.
      11-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #8
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....

Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I have only used clay once and I thought it was ace!!

Got the Megs' kits with the spray on lubricant - we live near a railway line and the missus E46 compact was covered in rought swarf type filings - the clay bar used carefully brought the paint back to glass smooth!

Just keep spraying and slide the clay around picking up all the crap, applying very moderate pressure. I used a clay bar on the whole car . Started with the bonnet, then the roof (worst panels) finished by the boot lid, and then the 2 sides.

Then used the Megs' 3 stage wax system - 1st bottle strips and cleans the paint, 2nd one wax glazes and then the 3rd bottle is Carnuba Wax.

The finished result was fantastic - total outlay of approx 50 quid for the stuff and some micro fibre cloths - all purchased off the 'net.

I highly recommend it!!
M3-FAST is offline   England
      11-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
Bumps
Captain

Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
I have only used clay once and I thought it was ace!!

Got the Megs' kits with the spray on lubricant - we live near a railway line and the missus E46 compact was covered in rought swarf type filings - the clay bar used carefully brought the paint back to glass smooth!

Just keep spraying and slide the clay around picking up all the crap, applying very moderate pressure. I used a clay bar on the whole car . Started with the bonnet, then the roof (worst panels) finished by the boot lid, and then the 2 sides.

Then used the Megs' 3 stage wax system - 1st bottle strips and cleans the paint, 2nd one wax glazes and then the 3rd bottle is Carnuba Wax.

The finished result was fantastic - total outlay of approx 50 quid for the stuff and some micro fibre cloths - all purchased off the 'net.

I highly recommend it!!
Good to know - thanks Red. Just cleaned and mucked out the wife's A6 today and the bottom parts of the flanks are as rough as sandpaper so I'm going to give some clay a go I think. Then I'll get her to use roads to drive to work on instead of fields
Bumps is offline   United Kingdom