E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Edmonds.com said 335i coupe may come to US



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Bimmer_2
Private
 
Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Edmonds.com said 335i coupe may come to US

Below is an article extract from Edmonds.com ...

Getting better with every lap
By Ed Hellwig Email


Date posted: 02-09-2006

Of all the cars BMW's engineers get to fling around the Nürburgring test track, we would guess the star of our latest video is one of their favorites. It's the 2008 BMW 3 Series coupe and it's headed for U.S. showrooms sometime in the next 12 months.

Like the 2006 BMW 3 Series sedans, the coupes built their reputation on delivering perfect balance, exceptional steering and suspensions that can make a hero out of anybody. Great engines have always been part of the mix as well, and the next generation of 3 Series coupes won't disappoint. They're likely to make use of BMW's latest line of straight-six engines, so expect to see both 325Ci and 330Ci two-doors in the lineup with 215 hp and 255 hp, respectively.

Good numbers for sure, but BMW isn't stopping there. Various rumors suggest that an even higher horsepower coupe will slot into the lineup above the 330Ci and below the V8-powered M3 expected next year. Most speculation puts the new engine at 3.5 liters with an output of 330 hp thanks to help from a pair of sequential turbochargers. We can only hope that a manual transmission is standard equipment instead of some SMG deal like the M5.

If we're lucky we may see the initial versions of this new BMW coupe as early as this fall, but early next year is the more likely time frame. If the 335i does indeed join the lineup, expect it to lag the base cars by a few months, a tactic that will build up nicely to the introduction of the next-generation M3.
Bimmer_2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
Bimmer_2
Private
 
Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

Here is the link http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=109219#3
Bimmer_2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
YYimports
First Lieutenant
 
YYimports's Avatar
 
Drives: TitanSilver E90
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 306
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_2
Of all the cars BMW's engineers get to fling around the Nürburgring test track, we would guess the star of our latest video is one of their favorites. It's the 2008 BMW 3 Series coupe and it's headed for U.S. showrooms sometime in the next 12 months.
Jeez Edmunds is kinda behind the times That video was posted here and floated on the internet like 2-3 months ago. Edmunds doesn't know more than sites like e90post knows and probably knows less.. it's more a general car info site. Thanks for sharin tho!
YYimports is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
bimmer4me
Captain
 
bimmer4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern Virginia

Posts: 997
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
IMO, the 335i has to come to the USA. I can't imagine BMW would build a completely different beast for the 3-series coupe just for North America. There is no debate if BMW is going to offer a 3-series coupe in North America, just when and what. BMW has never fundamentally had two different coupes in two different regions for the same model year. As a matter of fact, I don't think any car manufacturer has ever done that.
__________________

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
bimmer4me is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
 
SCA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TN

Posts: 3,018
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
IMO, the 335i has to come to the USA. I can't imagine BMW would build a completely different beast for the 3-series coupe just for North America.

FYI, The US E36 M3 had engines (1995 S50 3.0 liter - 1996-1999 S52 3.2 liter) that were only offered in the US, elsewhere in the world they got the more expensive Euro version = more power. I was unable to locate US & Euro specs on the S52.

US S50:

240hp @ 6000
Torque:
225lb @ 4250

Euro S50:

286hp @ 7000
Torque:
236lb @ 3600
__________________
SCA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
bimmer4me
Captain
 
bimmer4me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern Virginia

Posts: 997
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
FYI, The US E36 M3 had an engine (1995 S50 3.0 liter - 1996-1999 S52 3.2 liter) that was only offered in the US, elsewhere in the world they got the more expensive Euro version = more power. I was unable to locate US & Euro specs on the S52.

US S50:

240hp @ 6000
Torque:
225lb @ 4250

Euro S50:

286hp @ 7000
Torque:
236lb @ 3600
40 hp and 11 lb of torque is not a completely different beast. IMO, the 335i coupe is coming to America, but the exact details are obviously still unknown.
__________________

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
bimmer4me is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
SCA
Brigadier General
 
SCA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TN

Posts: 3,018
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
40 hp and 11 lb of torque is not a completely different beast. IMO, the 335i coupe is coming to America, but the exact details are obviously still unknown.

What are you? 40hp is a noticeable difference.


You might as well state that the the N52 does not have any significant gains over the M54.

Edit: Any factory BMW beast = M Car.
Attached Images
 
__________________
SCA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Yaajer
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 330I
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 286
iTrader: (3)

So is the model lineup going to be:

325/330/335/M3?

or

328/335/m3?
__________________
330I Spark Graph, 6spd, Prem, Sport, Heated Seats.
Yaajer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
ksfrogman
Major General
 
ksfrogman's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Torrance, CA

Posts: 6,751
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost8found
Jeez Edmunds is kinda behind the times That video was posted here and floated on the internet like 2-3 months ago. Edmunds doesn't know more than sites like e90post knows and probably knows less.. it's more a general car info site. Thanks for sharin tho!
Edmunds journalists probably get their rumors from sites like e90post.
__________________
ksfrogman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
longtran
Moderator
 
longtran's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

Posts: 16,617
iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
Edmunds journalists probably get their rumors from sites like e90post.
i was thinking the same thing....
longtran is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
maq
Lieutenant
 
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
I was unable to locate US & Euro specs on the S52.
Europe never got an S52. Their 96+ cars had the S50B32 with 7500rpm, individual throttle bodies, double-vano and 321hp, basically an early version of the S54. The US S52 (much more similar to the 328's M52) had none of those and power output was unchanged at 240hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
BMW has never fundamentally had two different coupes in two different regions for the same model year. As a matter of fact, I don't think any car manufacturer has ever done that.
BMW has done it many times before, so I won't be surprised if they do it again.
maq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #12
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
 
GoBonesGo's Avatar
 
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: La Quinta, CA

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_2
Most speculation puts the new engine at 3.5 liters with an output of 330 hp thanks to help from a pair of sequential turbochargers.
Well, I guess that settles it. 3.5 liters and twin-turbo. Sweet.
GoBonesGo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #13
Brett
Captain
 
Drives: 2000 BMW 323 CiC
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_2_330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_2
Most speculation puts the new engine at 3.5 liters with an output of 330 hp thanks to help from a pair of sequential turbochargers.
Well, I guess that settles it. 3.5 liters and twin-turbo. Sweet.
Uhh if you go by what this guy says your down right crazy . Lets start with the most obvoius error, you can do the rest of the work yourself . Figured I would make it easy and bold it for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
It's the 2008 BMW 3 Series coupe and it's headed for U.S. showrooms sometime in the next 12 months.
-Brett
Brett is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV.

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
i think the 325/330 will stay and add 335/m3. the 325 has always been the key 3 series for a while....
IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #15
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDENTITY_MOTORSPORTS
i think the 325/330 will stay and add 335/m3. the 325 has always been the key 3 series for a while....
No, it hasn't.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #16
stressdoc
Moderator
 
stressdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 E90 ZSP+
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

Posts: 9,905
iTrader: (0)

Edmunds has lost what little credibility they had in regard to predictions about future models. The one issue that concerns me is the possibility that BMWNA would release a 335 E92, but not a 335 E90. I can see it if the E92 comes out for summer, and then transitioning the E90 in sept. I can also see the 335 bi-turbo as a special, added to the 325/330 line-up. If they want to deal seriously with the IS350 and upcoming Audi & MB models, BMWNA should move to the 323/328/335 line-up. And bring the diesels and Euro options like M-pack.
stressdoc is offline   Dominica
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
EnI
Secret Agent
 
EnI's Avatar
 
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Planet BMW

Posts: 455
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Edmunds has lost what little credibility they had in regard to predictions about future models. The one issue that concerns me is the possibility that BMWNA would release a 335 E92, but not a 335 E90. I can see it if the E92 comes out for summer, and then transitioning the E90 in sept. I can also see the 335 bi-turbo as a special, added to the 325/330 line-up. If they want to deal seriously with the IS350 and upcoming Audi & MB models, BMWNA should move to the 323/328/335 line-up. And bring the diesels and Euro options like M-pack.
Internet says:

BMW see 335i as a bridge to M3. And additional model above 330i. Europe will see that.
US is a specific market - 3er offered only with I6 engines (in Europe 6-cylindre engines bring just a friction of a 3er sales). Therefore BMW AG (on BMW NA wish / demand) could be forced to introduce 328/335 configuration instead of 325/330/335 - with 335 being much cheaper than planned. But in this case a "bridge" plan falls completely. A big dilema for AG. Development costs were high, money have to be brought back.

A solution in this case? Tweaking US version of 335 to output less HP than "Euro version". Introducing higher output later as "si" with other goodies such as ZSG gearbox, sport package only etc. Offering Coupe from the begining as high output "si" version only, with no low output "i" version from sedan.

Nothing yet decided. Marketing experts at BMW having big headaches these days.

But that's only what internet is saying. Could be rumours.
EnI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #18
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RichReg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i (SOLD) & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 1,952
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA
Internet says:

BMW see 335i as a bridge to M3. And additional model above 330i. Europe will see that.
US is a specific market - 3er offered only with I6 engines (in Europe 6-cylindre engines bring just a friction of a 3er sales). Therefore BMW AG (on BMW NA wish / demand) could be forced to introduce 328/335 configuration instead of 325/330/335 - with 335 being much cheaper than planned. But in this case a "bridge" plan falls completely. A big dilema for AG. Development costs were high, money have to be brought back.

A solution in this case? Tweaking US version of 335 to output less HP than "Euro version". Introducing higher output later as "si" with other goodies such as ZSG gearbox, sport package only etc. Offering Coupe from the begining as high output "si" version only, with no low output "i" version from sedan.

Nothing yet decided. Marketing experts at BMW having big headaches these days.

But that's only what internet is saying. Could be rumours.
DO you have a link for this info?
RichReg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #19
user1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Irvine

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA
Internet says:
...
But that's only what internet is saying. Could be rumours.
Who is Internet? You are naming a technology as your source? You can post links unless this is just your own thoughts.
user1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #20
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
 
lux.sh's Avatar
 
Drives: fast around corners.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Curves

Posts: 4,860
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
40 hp and 11 lb of torque is not a completely different beast. IMO, the 335i coupe is coming to America, but the exact details are obviously still unknown.
hmm. try raising your 330i's power level 40hp/11lb up.
__________________
06 AW E90 330i ZPP/ZSP/Step/Expired Warranty

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
lux.sh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #21
stressdoc
Moderator
 
stressdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 E90 ZSP+
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

Posts: 9,905
iTrader: (0)

GregA's comment sounds reasonable to me. I would be having trouble sleeping if I worked at BMW NA -- quite the decisions to be made. As I see it, the 325-330-335 line-up is difficult because the 330 only gets about 20-25% of sales now. Put in a 335 and that would shrink a bit, with potential 330 buyers opting for 335. The problem lies in pulling sales from Lexus, and I think that requires a main-line (i.e., not a specialty sports version) model like the current 330. No doubt BMW is losing customers to Lexus based on the significant acceleration difference. Like many listmembers here, I am lusting after a lightweight, M-pack 335si. But that is not the mainstream model that will exclude the IS350 from claiming a bigger share of the sports/luxury sedan market. I think releasing the 335 in E92 form only in the USA will prove to be a long range marketing disaster. The competition (Lexus, Infinity, Audi, Acura, MB) has four door models with more potent engines than the 330.
stressdoc is offline   Dominica
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2006, 05:08 PM   #22
akhbhaat
Captain
 
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Straddling the pond.

Posts: 838
iTrader: (0)

What is the point of putting together a sizable R&D budget to develop a "bridge" to the M3? That makes it sound as though the M3 is a mainstream, high volume model, like the 5 series. No, it's a niche market car, with sales greatly limited by the number of engines BMW can crank out.

Problem with "bridge" models is that they're prohibitively expensive (or simply a bad buy in terms of value) for the more mainstream consumer, but for everyone else it looks silly not to drop the hammer and go just a little bit further for the M3 itself. I just don't see them selling that many of them with that strategy unless the M3 has no sedan variant and the "bridge" does (otherwise you split demand between them). Even then, the market wouldn't jump all over it and it would turn out to be relatively low volume - difficult to justify the R&D expense, unless each individual unit carries a massive profit margin. But in that case, why not just sell it for less and have a greater gross total (considering how elastic demand tends to be in the extremely competitive automobile market)?

I don't know what BMW spent to develop the N54 engine, and I don't know precisely what sort of profit per unit they have currently, but simple economics suggest that the idea of having a regular 335i and an upgraded 335si with a bunch of exclusive goodies bundled in (think ZHP) makes a lot more sense. No doubt there's some serious debate going on within BMWNA's marketing department.
akhbhaat is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST