E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Eccentric Shaft Sensor question

09-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
paulm3251
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Sedan

Eccentric Shaft Sensor question

Hey everyone I have a 2007 328xi sedan with the N51 engine and have a quick question relating to the eccentric shaft sensor. My car has a bunch of oil on the plug where it connects to the sensor like most people have and my car has all the symptoms of a failing / malfunctioning sensor. I have 86k miles. Basically I have a full 2 year warranty on the car but I know there not going to cover it unless I can prove that this is in fact the problem and I currently don't have any CEL's or anything. Just bad gas mileage, horrible idle surge at red lights, 'confusion' with my A/T at low RPM's. My question is what would happen if I drive around with the sensor unplugged...would that trigger a CEL or do any damage to the vehicle. I want to have the issue covered under the warranty naturally but I am not sure if I should keep driving on it like it is because I am sure its going to eventually fail entirely and leave me stranded. Should I unplug it and drive around waiting for a CEL or would that damage the car? Should I continue to drive around with it plugged in until it completely fails and would this do damage to the engine? Or should I go to BMW and get a 'full diagnostic' on the car and basically take the sheet with everything they say is wrong with the car and tell the warranty company that I want it all fixed. If I do take it to BMW for a diagnostic would there be any damage to have the sensor unplugged in the meantime? Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
TheAxiom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm3251 View Post
Hey everyone I have a 2007 328xi sedan with the N51 engine and have a quick question relating to the eccentric shaft sensor. My car has a bunch of oil on the plug where it connects to the sensor like most people have and my car has all the symptoms of a failing / malfunctioning sensor. I have 86k miles. Basically I have a full 2 year warranty on the car but I know there not going to cover it unless I can prove that this is in fact the problem and I currently don't have any CEL's or anything. Just bad gas mileage, horrible idle surge at red lights, 'confusion' with my A/T at low RPM's. My question is what would happen if I drive around with the sensor unplugged...would that trigger a CEL or do any damage to the vehicle. I want to have the issue covered under the warranty naturally but I am not sure if I should keep driving on it like it is because I am sure its going to eventually fail entirely and leave me stranded. Should I unplug it and drive around waiting for a CEL or would that damage the car? Should I continue to drive around with it plugged in until it completely fails and would this do damage to the engine? Or should I go to BMW and get a 'full diagnostic' on the car and basically take the sheet with everything they say is wrong with the car and tell the warranty company that I want it all fixed. If I do take it to BMW for a diagnostic would there be any damage to have the sensor unplugged in the meantime? Thanks for your help.
A diagnostic will pull the shadow code.
      09-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
paulm3251
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
A diagnostic will pull the shadow code.
Thanks for the response. Do you know by any chance what the dealer charges for a diagnostic like a full 360 check of the car I guess you'd say.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
TheAxiom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm3251 View Post
Thanks for the response. Do you know by any chance what the dealer charges for a diagnostic like a full 360 check of the car I guess you'd say.
I don't, you might want to call and speak to a manager to find out.
      09-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
fyi there is a low priced code reading option out there that works on both iphone and android, called "BMWHat". You will need a cable or bluetooth connector to your ODB port. Free version will let you read codes, paid version allows you to clear them. There are several threads on it, here's one: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998193