E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Say what????

09-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #23
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Agreed - old folks can say stuff others only think. But this guy has ben making these comments his entire life. Either he doesn't have a filter, or just doesn't give a crap. Either way, it's entertaining - as long as it doesn't start a war...
Yes, I guess I do have to agree with that, the guy seems to have a long record of basically being a snob. Too, he is the consort to the queen regnant of England. It could well be, particularly given his social status -- the man was born a prince -- even before marrying her, that he rarely after childhood cared much what he said and how it might be taken by others, and after marrying Elizabeth, he genuinely may have had no reason to care to what little extent he might have before.

At the end of the day, the people are her subjects, not his, and if he and his comments were to have become that much of a problem, he could have been required to eschew public appearances and/or the common people didn't have to solicit his presence at them, relegating him to a life with only his peers. It'd have been awkward, but it could have been done too. Prince or not, there's only so much people will take. Apparently Prince Phillip hasn't doled out more than folks will endure.

While none of that fully exculpates him for his apparent rudeness in his younger days -- even I, with my willingness to find forgiveness for others, have to acknowledge the caustic snobbery of some of his comments -- his age now gives him something of a "pass." I guess in some way, being the grandson of a king who was forced to abdicate, resulting eventually in his father's flight to exile in England, had something to do with demeanor.

He lived a privileged life by most folks' measure, but I'm sure there must have been some angst and a "chip on his shoulder" of sorts over the unfortunate circumstances his family faced. I suspect in the back of his mind, or even not too terribly far back, he's a prince and "you're not, despite your wealth and good fortune," and he's not going to let you forget it by addressing you in a way that lets you feel "cozy" with him. Just speculation on my part....

Sidebar:
One thing unrelated to the Duke's comments is that Duke of Edinburgh's Award thing he created. Not having grown up in the U.K., it strikes me as odd to give acclaim to youngsters for accomplishing that which they should, and should want to, do on their own in the first place. I don't think the Award is a bad thing, just that it's an odd thing. I wasn't/am not a parent who rewarded/rewards -- beyond saying "well done" or something like that -- his kids for doing what's expected of them, so the idea of a national award program that does so is beyond my comprehension.

That said, I think it's nice that the Duke made a very public and uncertain statement about the standards he holds important by creating an organization to help imbue and provide opportunities for young Britons the develop those characteristics and have experiences and accomplishments that reflect those standards. Young folks certainly have easy access to far worse sources of inspiration.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      09-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #24
panicos81
Colonel

Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [4.27]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I know this discussions in this sub-forum are often quite heated. Well, this isn't likely one of those.

What religious or political comments have you come across that are just plain ridiculous. I'm not talking about matters that are or could be strongly debated, I'm talking about the stupid stuff that gets said from time to time. Here are some examples (if nothing else, our last President made me laugh often):

• The thing that's important for me is to remember what's the most important thing.
  • One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
George W. Bush is credited with both those pearls of wisdom.

All the best.
i think the bold parts just about sums it up..
      09-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #25
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

"Sheikh 'Abd Al-Muhsin Al-'Obikan, an advisor at the Saudi Justice Ministry, recently issued a fatwa allowing the breastfeeding of adults. The fatwa is aimed at enabling an unrelated man and woman to be secluded in the same room, a situation which Islam considers forbidden gender mixing. The rationale behind the fatwa is that breastfeeding creates a bond of kinship between the man and woman, rendering the man her mahram, thus making it acceptable for them to be together in seclusion."

"It should be noted that this issue first arose in Egypt in May 2007, following a similar fatwa issued by Dr. 'Izzat 'Atiyya, formerly head of the Hadith Department at Al-Azhar University, which permitted a woman to breastfeed a man with whom she must work in private. This fatwa led to 'Atiyya's dismissal from his post at Al-Azhar."

http://www.memri.org/report/en/print4484.htm
      09-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
"Sheikh 'Abd Al-Muhsin Al-'Obikan, an advisor at the Saudi Justice Ministry, recently issued a fatwa allowing the breastfeeding of adults. The fatwa is aimed at enabling an unrelated man and woman to be secluded in the same room, a situation which Islam considers forbidden gender mixing. The rationale behind the fatwa is that breastfeeding creates a bond of kinship between the man and woman, rendering the man her mahram, thus making it acceptable for them to be together in seclusion."

"It should be noted that this issue first arose in Egypt in May 2007, following a similar fatwa issued by Dr. 'Izzat 'Atiyya, formerly head of the Hadith Department at Al-Azhar University, which permitted a woman to breastfeed a man with whom she must work in private. This fatwa led to 'Atiyya's dismissal from his post at Al-Azhar."

http://www.memri.org/report/en/print4484.htm
+1...that's the sort of "say what" I'm talking about. LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      09-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
954Stealth
Colonel

Drives: A Car

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”
-- George W. Bush on 08/05/04

and for balance

"The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries."
-- Barack Obama in 2010

Last edited by 954Stealth; 09-04-2014 at 02:55 PM.
954Stealth is offline   United_States
      09-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

What was VP Biden pontificating about the gates of hell yesterday?
UncleWede is offline   United_States
      09-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #29
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 054stealth
“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”
-- George W. Bush on 08/05/04

and for balance

"The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries."
-- Barack Obama in 2010
+1

09-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #30
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
No one is perfect, but when a political leader fails to deliver on the promises he campaigned on and blunders from one foreign policy fiasco into another, the voters have every reason to question his abilities. The Obama administration's laundry list of scandals and problems has grown long...so when is it appropriate in your opinion to assign blame where blame is due?

That's what makes Obama's assessment of ISIS and his foreign policy towards Iraq, or lack thereof, so ridiculous...we've dealt with these types of threats and problems before and we've seen what they can become over time!!

Obama had the value of hindsight back in January when ISIS began to take control of Fallujah and other parts of western Iraq. We saw, under Bush, what could happen when Sunni extremist groups grew disillusioned with the Iraqi government. And yet Obama did nothing..he sat back and watched as the violence and extremism spilled over from Syria into Iraq and re-ignited the old sectarian strife that US had fought so hard to pacify during the Bush years (and had largely succeeded).

See this makes sense now. I think I have a better understanding of your views. When Obama makes blatantly obvious foreign policy mistakes....you have no issues giving him a break. Either he:
a) is only human and can't always make the right decision
b) he doesn't have the value of hindsight (which I think he did in the case of Iraq and Libya and Syria)

But when President Bush is trying to assess foreign threats in the wake of the most bloody terrorist attack on US soil, decides to force UN-sanctioned weapons compliance on a rogue state, all of a sudden the "hindsight" and "nobody is perfect" arguments don't apply....

Nice double standard...

Do you see now why I was worried that this would turn into another bash "the cowboy" session?
There is no double standard and I think the only thing about which you wondered was whether you could force this thread into a "bash 'the cowboy' session." Seen any threatening windmills lately?

I explicitly said I have no intention to bash anyone and my discussion with you about Bush and Obama has focused on the ridiculous nature of their statements, and not on what I think of their Presidencies or Administrations. It is you who interpreted my having cited Bush statements specifically as an attack on Bush.

Personally, I don't feel a need to defend or disparage Bush or Obama. There are more than enough folks who do both those things in forums that have far greater visibility than this one. It's not clear to me either why you feel the need to defend or lambaste either of them.

The fact of the matter is that the statements they made are inane and they said them. That's all that's needed for this thread. There is no need to be "balanced" in one's selection of silly statements to post so long as the statements posted are accurately quoted and attributed.

All the best.

09-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #31
UncleWede

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
      09-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #32
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

I thought this was pretty good, although it's not quoting a specific politician:

1. If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally, you live in a country run by idiots.

2. If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion, you live in a country run by idiots.

3. If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book, but not to vote on who runs the government, you live in a country run by idiots.

4. If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy leaders in Egypt, you live in a country run by idiots.

5. If, in the largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat, you live in a country run by idiots.

6. If an 80-year-old woman can be stripped searched by the TSA, but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched, you live in a country run by idiots.

7. If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more, you live in a country run by idiots.

8. If a seven year old boy can be thrown out of grade school for saying his teacher’s “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable, you live in a country run by idiots.

9. If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones, you live in a country run by idiots.

10. If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to incentivize NOT working, with 99 weeks of unemployment checks and no requirement to prove they applied but can’t find work, you live in a country run by idiots.

11. If being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government, you live in a country run by idiots.
      09-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #33
UncleWede

^ We walk among them
      09-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #34
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
I thought this was pretty good, although it's not quoting a specific politician:

So all those things you posted are your silly statements?

All the best.

09-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #35
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
Quote:

So all those things you posted are your silly statements?

All the best.
They are not mine, nor do I think they are silly. Many are quite factual.
      Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #36
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
They are not mine, nor do I think they are silly. Many are quite factual.
Oh, okay. I just wanted to confirm that seeing as the point of the thread is to post the silly comments one has heard/read.

All the best.