E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Stuff you wished you checked for when taking delivery of your car



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #23
aphall
Captain
aphall's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
776
Posts

 
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Everything was perfect, even the tire pressure. The only thing I missed was a scuff on the outer edge of the rim. I only noticed it when I started to clean my rims. The tires and rims are always the easiest to overlook. I was so busy making sure there weren't any digs or nicks in the paint that I spent 1 minute looking at the rims. I pushed every button, turned on my lights, and brought CDs (even an MP3 cd). The only thing I didn't do was take it for a drive, and in hindsight.. probably a stupid move.
__________________
JB | BBS CHs | Blacklines | HO40 | ACS Rep Roof Spoiler | H&R Sport | Hartge Rep Lip | OEM Strut Bar | M-Tech Rear

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #24
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
northerncalguy's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
All the posts so far are valid. I would add that you should indeed take delivery in the morning, w/ plenty of light. This will expose all the surfaces of the body for close examination. Of course, also take a short drive. My rookie mistake was not to look at the paint finish carefully; there were some fine scratches probably due to the dealer wax. Of course, also take a short drive.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2006, 06:25 PM   #25
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

i agree with all these posts. you should also not take delivery in rain or snow so that you can see everything.
what do you people do when there is a problem at delivery ie paint,rims,tires,mechanical etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #26
jim lee
Enlisted Member
jim lee's Avatar
2
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: Electric Red 325xiT Wagon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Motley Fool Checklist

Hello,

I'm about to take PCD. Excited that others' experience was so good. This list from Motley Fool seemed rather exhaustive (OK, anal retentive) but useful.

Jim
325xiT (E91) Electric Red
PCD on 21 April

http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/k...Checklist.html

Foolish Delivery Checklist

So you bought a new car and it's ready for you to pick up and drive off the lot. We know you're excited to get on the road, but it is important not to rush the delivery process. Below you'll find some general guidelines and a checklist for you to print out and use the day you pick up your new baby.

-- Call the salesperson ahead of time and let them know that you plan to perform a delivery check during daylight hours. Make an appointment -- getting through your checklist may take more than an hour.

-- Don't depend on a "prep man" -- the dealer's mechanics and preparation people -- to take care of every last detail. Inspect it yourself and if it isn't right, have it corrected. Even the F&I manager may make a paperwork error. So look at all the documents once again.

-- Most dealers prefer to make spot (immediate) deliveries. Don't accept this. Take some time to think things over. Most dealers will require a deposit. Go ahead and give them one, but limit the amount, and make sure that locks you into a specific VIN. Of course, remember that most incentives are tied to delivery dates, not purchase agreements or deposit dates.

-- A proper delivery means that all the vehicle attributes should be demonstrated or discussed with you prior to you taking the car. This hour can teach you volumes about your new vehicle. Even though you may know your car inside out after this day, commit to reading the owner's manual.

-- Tell the salesperson that you don't want any dealer nameplates affixed to the vehicle in any way (painted, riveted, or adhesive bonded). The license plate holder is okay. Ask that the vehicle's plates remain the dealer's until after you've taken delivery.

-- The laws vary from state to state as to when you actually own the vehicle, you may want to check with your state to find out. (Some states say you don't own it until all the documents are signed and the vehicle is driven off the dealer's premises.)

-- Call your insurance agent and arrange to have the vehicle under your policy the minute you take delivery. (Do this as far in advance as possible.)

We've included a list of items to check, it is not all-encompassing, but it will get you started down the road to obtaining a problem-free vehicle. Always remember that the dealership will be more receptive to making repairs before the sale. So have any corrections made before you take delivery.

Delivery Checklist

(Use a pencil and check off the items that have been completed with no problems. Circle the items that were not completed satisfactorily and make notes in the margin.)

1. Does the VIN match what you agreed to purchase?

2. Is the mileage realistic, or has the dealer used the vehicle as a demo since you agreed to purchase it? (Be reasonable, but question anything greater than 150 miles.)

3. Ask the dealer personnel if any repairs or alterations have been made to the vehicle? (Accidents happen, even to new vehicles being delivered. An honest dealership will tell you, but you often have to ask.)

4. Is the exterior in perfect shape? (Not a blemish, scratch, or streak. Walk around the vehicle several times looking from as many angles as possible.)

5. Are the trim, rubstrips, decals, chrome, hood ornaments, and other exterior features present, in good shape (defect-free), and properly attached?

6. Doors, hoods, trunks, deck lids, and liftgates: Do they all work correctly? Do they seal properly? (You may not find this out until the test drive when you listen for noise.) Does the fit and finish match up between these and the rest of the body work? Do the locks work properly -- are they automatic, can they be operated remotely? Does the hood release lever operate from the inside. Do you know the location? Can you open the hood yourself? Does it stay up on its own?

7. Is the engine compartment in perfect shape? Is every dip stick, plastic cover, wire harness present and properly secured? All the fluids should be at optimal levels: oil, transmission, power steering, brake, windshield wash, and coolant. There should be very little dirt and grime, and not a single sign of fluid leakage of any kind. None of the engine components should show exterior wear or replacement -- things like one spark plug wire that is a completely different shade of black should draw a red flag and a question. They should replace them all with new items if that means you'll drive the vehicle away. Question the same thing a week later and you'll get a sour look.

8. Battery: Is it filled properly? Or is it a "no-service" type? (Check the level or sight dot.) No corrosion should be present on the electrodes. It should be properly connected -- fastened to wire leads and properly secured -- tied down in the vehicle. Ask about how to jump it properly. Does it have a special separate warranty?

9. Is the trunk in perfect shape? Is the carpeting properly fastened? Do the lights work correctly? Does the internal opening button work correctly? How about the outside lock? If it has gas shocks to hold up the lid, are they working properly? Are the extras, such as cargo nets, present as you ordered?

10. Fuel System: Which side is the filler door on? Can you open it from inside the vehicle? Does it lock? What grade of gasoline does the manufacturer recommend? How big is the tank? At what level does the fuel gauge on the dash register? (Many dealer's will buy the first tank, just ask!) Does the dash have a low fuel level warning light? Is there anything special about filling this vehicle with gas (i.e. some gas caps make a ratcheting sound when properly tightened)?

11. Tires: Where is the spare tire and jack system located? Is the spare properly inflated? How far can you go on "the donut"? Is the jack present, accessible? Have you been given a briefing on the use of the jack? (And where do you install it?) If you have wheel locks, where is the lug key? Are all the tires the same and as ordered? (Some performance tires have several different speed ratings and associated cost levels. Check the specific numbers on each tire.) What is the proper air pressure? What is the tire warranty and where is it? The tires should show no signs of wear, and should be properly inflated. Tires should be scuff-free. Are the hubcaps properly affixed?

12. Is the interior in perfect shape? Carpet, headliner, seats should have no tears, stains, or damage. Get in the car (both the front and back seats) and keep your eyes peeled for problems. Try out any device that will move, bend, turn, be pushed, or pulled. Do all the seatbelts work? Are the floor mats you ordered in the car?

13. Look in the glove box. Does it open properly? Is the owner's manual included? Does it lock?

14. Lighting and Signals. Know where the light switches are, and how they work. Where is the fuse box? Check the operation of all the lighting systems: headlights (low and high beams), tail lights, emergency flashers, brake lights, backing lights, trunk light, hood light, interior lights (map lights, dome lights, glove box, reading lights, running board lights). Does the vehicle have automatic shutoff? Is it for the headlights only? How long does the dome light stay on after unlocking and locking the door? Can you dim interior lights. What about the dashboard lights? Is the ignition switch lighted? Daytime running lights? Check left and right turn signals (front and back -- you'll need a helper) proper operation, and switch positions.

15. Windows, Sunroofs and Mirrors: Make sure there are no defects (chips, cracks). Are the options installed and how they working? (Options may include rear defogger, wiper and tinting.) Proper open and close operation tested on each window. Control device operation and location - power window controls, rapid down operation? Wipers, controls, delay systems, rear window?

16. Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning: Do you understand all the controls and features of the climate control operations and control panel? Are there special defoggers? Special filters? Multi level systems? Front and rear controls? Temperature settings, and automatic controls? Duct operation? Fan controls?

17. Sound System: Do you understand how everything operates? Adjust the controls and get sound out of each speaker. Does it sound correct to your ear? Try a cassette and CD (bring one with you). How do special features, such as equalizers, amplifiers, and trunk mounted CD tower work?

18. Do you understand operations and precautions with the safety features, such as seat belts and air bags? Do you know where each is located? What about cellular phone and navigation systems operation?

19. Driver's Seat: Do you know how to work the seat position controls and where they are located? Does the lumbar work? Note the steering wheel positioning, tilt, telescope, lock, horn, and cruise control. Examine the dashboard gauges and warning indicators -- turn the key one click and see what warning lights you get. Are these correct?

20. Dashboard and Controls: Do you understand all the gauges and what they tell you? If the gauges are digital, how do you change from English to Metric readings? Do you understand the trip odometer operation?

21. Keys: Do you have more than one set? Is the remote entry working? How does the alarm work (codes and disarmament)? Is there a panic button and cut off switch? Do the door locks have child protection?

The Test Drive

22. Get in and buckle up!

23. Ignition System: Does the car start properly?


24. Listen carefully to engine idle. Does it sound okay?

25. Look at the tailpipe. Any abnormal smoke or color? Moisture?

26. Brakes: Do you like the feel of the brake pedal (even and smooth)? How does the parking brake work? Does your foot have to be on the brake to shift out of park?

27. When you put the vehicle into gear, does it sound okay? Do the shift indicators line up with the proper gear that you are in (i.e. the indicator reads R when in reverse)?

28. Noise Check. Turn the radio off and use your senses. Drive over various road conditions and speeds that you know you will be frequenting. Listen for the Buzz Squeaks and Rattles (BSR) -- no tweet, tweet, tweet from the tailgate allowed. Also note NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) -- no loud thuds, or strange shaking between 50-55 MPH allowed.

29. Watch the gauges. Do they move and register properly? (Gauges include the odometer, speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure, and coolant temperature.)

30. Run the air conditioning and heating. Do they appear to work properly?

31. Check the vehicles acceleration and braking for proper operation.

32. Check the cruise control for proper operation.

33. Check the vehicle's handling: Can it turn a tight U-turn? Does it make any strange noises? Make right and left turns. Does the steering respond properly?

After the Spin

34. Open the hood and have a look. Any new fluid leaks? Is the radiator cap still on properly? (Have the service manager help with this one.) Check the oil and transmission levels yourself. Take a quick peek under the vehicle and make sure there are no fluids dripping on the pavement.

35. Is every option you ordered and paid for installed properly in the vehicle? So many options exist that it is impossible to make any kind of accurate listing. What is important is that what you've paid for is there, and that you know how to operate each one.

36. Has the vehicle been fully demonstrated, top to bottom, by the dealership? Do you understand how everything works on the vehicle?

37. Service Department: Have you met the service manager and taken a tour of the service area? Have they explained the specifics of the dealership's service policy and hours of operation? (Some dealers are by appointment only, some are first-come first-served. Most treat buyers from their dealership better than other walk-in customers. So keep that license plate holder with the dealer's name printed on it.) Has the service manager reviewed the basics of the service plan for your vehicle with you? Does the dealership have a free check up? What period of operation does it cover?

38. Does your vehicle have a 24-hour roadside assistance program? What does it entail?

39. Do you understand all your warranties? Limits? Coverage periods?

40. Did you buy a special service plan? What is covered?

41. Do you have a business card for each of the dealership personnel you've worked with?

42. Is every defect that you've noted been properly corrected?

43. Does the VIN on the vehicle match up with the documents that you are signing?

44. Have you read all the documents that you will sign? Do you have a copy of each document?

45. Title, Tags and Registration: Who holds the title? How long do the temporary tags last? Has the dealership ordered your new plates? Have your plates been transferred? Where is the registration located?

46. Insurance: Have you obtained proper insurance? If you're leasing do you have Gap Insurance?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #27
BMW0
Colonel
BMW0's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,059
Posts

 
Drives: AW E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I wish for Comfort Access, A TwinTurbo N52 engine, Cold Weather Package for its fold down rear bench seat setup.
__________________
330i 6MT l 255 HP @ 5900 rpm 214 lb-ft Torque @ 3500 rpm l Alpine White l Beige l Aluminum l ZSP l 494 l PDC

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #28
Maestro
Captain
44
Rep
905
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

It all seemed fine, I even asked them to fax over all the paper work ahead of time so I could look at all the important papers first. I hate showing up to find out the paper work is screwed.

The only thing I am not sure about if I should have gotten the first aid kit that I think should belong in the trunk. Does anyone on know if this is a free option any more. It was not a big deal and I never called the dealer about it since I did the whole deal over the internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #29
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
SpecC's Avatar
170
Rep
15,442
Posts

 
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco and Davis

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0 View Post
I wish for Comfort Access, A TwinTurbo N52 engine, Cold Weather Package for its fold down rear bench seat setup.
think positive! NA POWER!

For me, everything was fine up until the day I found out my dad scratched up the front bumper on curb and later that day, drilled two holes into the front to run a front plate. I got the exact car I wanted and every option I wanted. Now it's about the mods
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #30
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
93
Rep
7,919
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
The only thing I am not sure about if I should have gotten the first aid kit that I think should belong in the trunk. Does anyone on know if this is a free option any more.
It is not, not in the USA. We don't get the warning triangle, either, and we may or may not be missing some tools from the toolbox (I forget, but a would answer that).
__________________


330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #31
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
10
Rep
511
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i SG
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

I waited in the showroom for an hour, otherwise it was great (BMW of Mountain View)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #32
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
452
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Re: Motely fool checklist;, running through this entire list could take an entire day. Most of things they tell you to check are all under warranty, so who cares if the A/C is not blowing cold at the time of delivery, it will be repaired under warranty regardless.

I feel the only things you need to check are those things that are not covered by the warranty, like scratches and dings in paint/wheels. Cuts, tears, holes in seats, headliner, carpets. Bubbles in the sidewalls of tires. You are mostly looking for shipping damage or damage created by the dealers employees who prep the car. Everything else is covered and will be repaired on your first service visit.
__________________
2008 E90 328i - Sparkling Graphite/Terra/Dark Burl, 6MT, Sport, Premuim, Fold-down seats, iPod/USB(6FL). M-Sport Steering Wheel, ZHP M-Sport Shift knob, Euro fog lights. Euro Split Armrest
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #33
phozenstone
Brigadier General
phozenstone's Avatar
87
Rep
4,930
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (71)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0 View Post
I wish for Comfort Access, A TwinTurbo N52 engine, Cold Weather Package for its fold down rear bench seat setup.
arent fold down seats standard?
__________________
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin N6 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #34
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
452
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
arent fold down seats standard?
No, you can get it as a stand alone option or as part of the cold weather package
__________________
2008 E90 328i - Sparkling Graphite/Terra/Dark Burl, 6MT, Sport, Premuim, Fold-down seats, iPod/USB(6FL). M-Sport Steering Wheel, ZHP M-Sport Shift knob, Euro fog lights. Euro Split Armrest
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #35
phozenstone
Brigadier General
phozenstone's Avatar
87
Rep
4,930
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (71)

copied from BMW website....

Interior seating
8-way adjustable driver's seat and 6-way adjustable front passenger's seat (includes 2-way headrests)
Leatherette upholstery
3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with audio and hands-free phone2 controls
Front seatback storage nets
Split fold-down rear seats

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/328...e/features.htm
__________________
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin N6 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #36
RobM
Can't get enough fast AWD cars
United_States
0
Rep
47
Posts

 
Drives: 05 Evo MR/07 E92 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
That's the coupe. Standard on the coupe, option on the sedan. (Seems kind of backwards to me, but whatever)

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/328isedan/features
__________________
2007 E92 328xi Coupe: Crimson Red ZCW/ZPP/ZSP/CA/NAV
2005 Evolution VIII MR (Rally Red)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #37
Dinan335i
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: Turbo Vert
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: santa barbara

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
I waited in the showroom for an hour, otherwise it was great (BMW of Mountain View)

+1

Who was your CA?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #38
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
midlife's Avatar
28
Rep
2,359
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i cabrio
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ..........

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim lee View Post
Hello,

I'm about to take PCD. Excited that others' experience was so good. This list from Motley Fool seemed rather exhaustive (OK, anal retentive) but useful.

Jim
325xiT (E91) Electric Red
PCD on 21 April

http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/k...Checklist.html

Foolish Delivery Checklist

So you bought a new car and it's ready for you to pick up and drive off the lot. We know you're excited to get on the road, but it is important not to rush the delivery process. Below you'll find some general guidelines and a checklist for you to print out and use the day you pick up your new baby.

-- Call the salesperson ahead of time and let them know that you plan to perform a delivery check during daylight hours. Make an appointment -- getting through your checklist may take more than an hour.

-- Don't depend on a "prep man" -- the dealer's mechanics and preparation people -- to take care of every last detail. Inspect it yourself and if it isn't right, have it corrected. Even the F&I manager may make a paperwork error. So look at all the documents once again.

-- Most dealers prefer to make spot (immediate) deliveries. Don't accept this. Take some time to think things over. Most dealers will require a deposit. Go ahead and give them one, but limit the amount, and make sure that locks you into a specific VIN. Of course, remember that most incentives are tied to delivery dates, not purchase agreements or deposit dates.

-- A proper delivery means that all the vehicle attributes should be demonstrated or discussed with you prior to you taking the car. This hour can teach you volumes about your new vehicle. Even though you may know your car inside out after this day, commit to reading the owner's manual.

-- Tell the salesperson that you don't want any dealer nameplates affixed to the vehicle in any way (painted, riveted, or adhesive bonded). The license plate holder is okay. Ask that the vehicle's plates remain the dealer's until after you've taken delivery.

-- The laws vary from state to state as to when you actually own the vehicle, you may want to check with your state to find out. (Some states say you don't own it until all the documents are signed and the vehicle is driven off the dealer's premises.)

-- Call your insurance agent and arrange to have the vehicle under your policy the minute you take delivery. (Do this as far in advance as possible.)

We've included a list of items to check, it is not all-encompassing, but it will get you started down the road to obtaining a problem-free vehicle. Always remember that the dealership will be more receptive to making repairs before the sale. So have any corrections made before you take delivery.

Delivery Checklist

(Use a pencil and check off the items that have been completed with no problems. Circle the items that were not completed satisfactorily and make notes in the margin.)

1. Does the VIN match what you agreed to purchase?

2. Is the mileage realistic, or has the dealer used the vehicle as a demo since you agreed to purchase it? (Be reasonable, but question anything greater than 150 miles.)

3. Ask the dealer personnel if any repairs or alterations have been made to the vehicle? (Accidents happen, even to new vehicles being delivered. An honest dealership will tell you, but you often have to ask.)

4. Is the exterior in perfect shape? (Not a blemish, scratch, or streak. Walk around the vehicle several times looking from as many angles as possible.)

5. Are the trim, rubstrips, decals, chrome, hood ornaments, and other exterior features present, in good shape (defect-free), and properly attached?

6. Doors, hoods, trunks, deck lids, and liftgates: Do they all work correctly? Do they seal properly? (You may not find this out until the test drive when you listen for noise.) Does the fit and finish match up between these and the rest of the body work? Do the locks work properly -- are they automatic, can they be operated remotely? Does the hood release lever operate from the inside. Do you know the location? Can you open the hood yourself? Does it stay up on its own?

7. Is the engine compartment in perfect shape? Is every dip stick, plastic cover, wire harness present and properly secured? All the fluids should be at optimal levels: oil, transmission, power steering, brake, windshield wash, and coolant. There should be very little dirt and grime, and not a single sign of fluid leakage of any kind. None of the engine components should show exterior wear or replacement -- things like one spark plug wire that is a completely different shade of black should draw a red flag and a question. They should replace them all with new items if that means you'll drive the vehicle away. Question the same thing a week later and you'll get a sour look.

8. Battery: Is it filled properly? Or is it a "no-service" type? (Check the level or sight dot.) No corrosion should be present on the electrodes. It should be properly connected -- fastened to wire leads and properly secured -- tied down in the vehicle. Ask about how to jump it properly. Does it have a special separate warranty?

9. Is the trunk in perfect shape? Is the carpeting properly fastened? Do the lights work correctly? Does the internal opening button work correctly? How about the outside lock? If it has gas shocks to hold up the lid, are they working properly? Are the extras, such as cargo nets, present as you ordered?

10. Fuel System: Which side is the filler door on? Can you open it from inside the vehicle? Does it lock? What grade of gasoline does the manufacturer recommend? How big is the tank? At what level does the fuel gauge on the dash register? (Many dealer's will buy the first tank, just ask!) Does the dash have a low fuel level warning light? Is there anything special about filling this vehicle with gas (i.e. some gas caps make a ratcheting sound when properly tightened)?

11. Tires: Where is the spare tire and jack system located? Is the spare properly inflated? How far can you go on "the donut"? Is the jack present, accessible? Have you been given a briefing on the use of the jack? (And where do you install it?) If you have wheel locks, where is the lug key? Are all the tires the same and as ordered? (Some performance tires have several different speed ratings and associated cost levels. Check the specific numbers on each tire.) What is the proper air pressure? What is the tire warranty and where is it? The tires should show no signs of wear, and should be properly inflated. Tires should be scuff-free. Are the hubcaps properly affixed?

12. Is the interior in perfect shape? Carpet, headliner, seats should have no tears, stains, or damage. Get in the car (both the front and back seats) and keep your eyes peeled for problems. Try out any device that will move, bend, turn, be pushed, or pulled. Do all the seatbelts work? Are the floor mats you ordered in the car?

13. Look in the glove box. Does it open properly? Is the owner's manual included? Does it lock?

14. Lighting and Signals. Know where the light switches are, and how they work. Where is the fuse box? Check the operation of all the lighting systems: headlights (low and high beams), tail lights, emergency flashers, brake lights, backing lights, trunk light, hood light, interior lights (map lights, dome lights, glove box, reading lights, running board lights). Does the vehicle have automatic shutoff? Is it for the headlights only? How long does the dome light stay on after unlocking and locking the door? Can you dim interior lights. What about the dashboard lights? Is the ignition switch lighted? Daytime running lights? Check left and right turn signals (front and back -- you'll need a helper) proper operation, and switch positions.

15. Windows, Sunroofs and Mirrors: Make sure there are no defects (chips, cracks). Are the options installed and how they working? (Options may include rear defogger, wiper and tinting.) Proper open and close operation tested on each window. Control device operation and location - power window controls, rapid down operation? Wipers, controls, delay systems, rear window?

16. Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning: Do you understand all the controls and features of the climate control operations and control panel? Are there special defoggers? Special filters? Multi level systems? Front and rear controls? Temperature settings, and automatic controls? Duct operation? Fan controls?

17. Sound System: Do you understand how everything operates? Adjust the controls and get sound out of each speaker. Does it sound correct to your ear? Try a cassette and CD (bring one with you). How do special features, such as equalizers, amplifiers, and trunk mounted CD tower work?

18. Do you understand operations and precautions with the safety features, such as seat belts and air bags? Do you know where each is located? What about cellular phone and navigation systems operation?

19. Driver's Seat: Do you know how to work the seat position controls and where they are located? Does the lumbar work? Note the steering wheel positioning, tilt, telescope, lock, horn, and cruise control. Examine the dashboard gauges and warning indicators -- turn the key one click and see what warning lights you get. Are these correct?

20. Dashboard and Controls: Do you understand all the gauges and what they tell you? If the gauges are digital, how do you change from English to Metric readings? Do you understand the trip odometer operation?

21. Keys: Do you have more than one set? Is the remote entry working? How does the alarm work (codes and disarmament)? Is there a panic button and cut off switch? Do the door locks have child protection?

The Test Drive

22. Get in and buckle up!

23. Ignition System: Does the car start properly?


24. Listen carefully to engine idle. Does it sound okay?

25. Look at the tailpipe. Any abnormal smoke or color? Moisture?

26. Brakes: Do you like the feel of the brake pedal (even and smooth)? How does the parking brake work? Does your foot have to be on the brake to shift out of park?

27. When you put the vehicle into gear, does it sound okay? Do the shift indicators line up with the proper gear that you are in (i.e. the indicator reads R when in reverse)?

28. Noise Check. Turn the radio off and use your senses. Drive over various road conditions and speeds that you know you will be frequenting. Listen for the Buzz Squeaks and Rattles (BSR) -- no tweet, tweet, tweet from the tailgate allowed. Also note NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) -- no loud thuds, or strange shaking between 50-55 MPH allowed.

29. Watch the gauges. Do they move and register properly? (Gauges include the odometer, speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure, and coolant temperature.)

30. Run the air conditioning and heating. Do they appear to work properly?

31. Check the vehicles acceleration and braking for proper operation.

32. Check the cruise control for proper operation.

33. Check the vehicle's handling: Can it turn a tight U-turn? Does it make any strange noises? Make right and left turns. Does the steering respond properly?

After the Spin

34. Open the hood and have a look. Any new fluid leaks? Is the radiator cap still on properly? (Have the service manager help with this one.) Check the oil and transmission levels yourself. Take a quick peek under the vehicle and make sure there are no fluids dripping on the pavement.

35. Is every option you ordered and paid for installed properly in the vehicle? So many options exist that it is impossible to make any kind of accurate listing. What is important is that what you've paid for is there, and that you know how to operate each one.

36. Has the vehicle been fully demonstrated, top to bottom, by the dealership? Do you understand how everything works on the vehicle?

37. Service Department: Have you met the service manager and taken a tour of the service area? Have they explained the specifics of the dealership's service policy and hours of operation? (Some dealers are by appointment only, some are first-come first-served. Most treat buyers from their dealership better than other walk-in customers. So keep that license plate holder with the dealer's name printed on it.) Has the service manager reviewed the basics of the service plan for your vehicle with you? Does the dealership have a free check up? What period of operation does it cover?

38. Does your vehicle have a 24-hour roadside assistance program? What does it entail?

39. Do you understand all your warranties? Limits? Coverage periods?

40. Did you buy a special service plan? What is covered?

41. Do you have a business card for each of the dealership personnel you've worked with?

42. Is every defect that you've noted been properly corrected?

43. Does the VIN on the vehicle match up with the documents that you are signing?

44. Have you read all the documents that you will sign? Do you have a copy of each document?

45. Title, Tags and Registration: Who holds the title? How long do the temporary tags last? Has the dealership ordered your new plates? Have your plates been transferred? Where is the registration located?

46. Insurance: Have you obtained proper insurance? If you're leasing do you have Gap Insurance?

very helpful
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:12 AM   #39
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
BMWCali's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
1,208
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Porsche
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (1)

No regrets. I took delivery at the BMW Performance Center and everything was absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 03:43 AM   #40
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,512
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me View Post
Check your tire's air pressure!
I guess you can easily fix that yourself, but yes, mine turned out to be only 24 lbs. I assumed going from the factory to VPC to dealer, it would have been proper!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 05:53 AM   #41
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
BMWCali's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
1,208
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Porsche
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I guess you can easily fix that yourself, but yes, mine turned out to be only 24 lbs. I assumed going from the factory to VPC to dealer, it would have been proper!
Yeah, definitely don't want to be driving too far on only 24 lbs. I checked my air pressure on Monday and my fronts were at 21 and 19 lbs.!! I guess going for two months without filling them can do that. It took a while of filling them but now the fronts are sitting at 34 (36.5 hot) cold and the rears are at 36.5 cold (39 hot).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 06:07 AM   #42
Eazyrock
Major
Eazyrock's Avatar
Guyana
14
Rep
1,284
Posts

 
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Jersey City, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Eazyrock
When I picked up my x5 I joked around with my sales person to toss in a couple of free goodies.. wasn't anything much, but I ended up with 5 baseball style bmw caps, a few bmw keychains, and 2 sunglasses.. the sunglasses where kinda flimsy, but the keychain and caps where nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #43
Gixxer335iCoupe
First Lieutenant
Gixxer335iCoupe's Avatar
4
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives: Over Slow Children at Play
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

on the 335i, you may want to look at the dual exhaust. I have noticed a BUNCH of crooked, off kilter exhaust pipes (virtually every one I've seen). The gap between the left pipe and the bumper was greater than the right pipe and the bumper (about 3/4" vs. 3/8"). Not a huge difference, but very noticeable, to me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #44
aequitas330
Montego Blue FTW
aequitas330's Avatar
15
Rep
1,110
Posts

 
Drives: Montego Blue e90 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim lee View Post
Hello,

I'm about to take PCD. Excited that others' experience was so good. This list from Motley Fool seemed rather exhaustive (OK, anal retentive) but useful.

Jim
325xiT (E91) Electric Red
PCD on 21 April

http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/k...Checklist.html

Foolish Delivery Checklist

So you bought a new car and it's ready for you to pick up and drive off the lot. We know you're excited to get on the road, but it is important not to rush the delivery process. Below you'll find some general guidelines and a checklist for you to print out and use the day you pick up your new baby.

-- Call the salesperson ahead of time and let them know that you plan to perform a delivery check during daylight hours. Make an appointment -- getting through your checklist may take more than an hour.

-- Don't depend on a "prep man" -- the dealer's mechanics and preparation people -- to take care of every last detail. Inspect it yourself and if it isn't right, have it corrected. Even the F&I manager may make a paperwork error. So look at all the documents once again.

-- Most dealers prefer to make spot (immediate) deliveries. Don't accept this. Take some time to think things over. Most dealers will require a deposit. Go ahead and give them one, but limit the amount, and make sure that locks you into a specific VIN. Of course, remember that most incentives are tied to delivery dates, not purchase agreements or deposit dates.

-- A proper delivery means that all the vehicle attributes should be demonstrated or discussed with you prior to you taking the car. This hour can teach you volumes about your new vehicle. Even though you may know your car inside out after this day, commit to reading the owner's manual.

-- Tell the salesperson that you don't want any dealer nameplates affixed to the vehicle in any way (painted, riveted, or adhesive bonded). The license plate holder is okay. Ask that the vehicle's plates remain the dealer's until after you've taken delivery.

-- The laws vary from state to state as to when you actually own the vehicle, you may want to check with your state to find out. (Some states say you don't own it until all the documents are signed and the vehicle is driven off the dealer's premises.)

-- Call your insurance agent and arrange to have the vehicle under your policy the minute you take delivery. (Do this as far in advance as possible.)

We've included a list of items to check, it is not all-encompassing, but it will get you started down the road to obtaining a problem-free vehicle. Always remember that the dealership will be more receptive to making repairs before the sale. So have any corrections made before you take delivery.

Delivery Checklist

(Use a pencil and check off the items that have been completed with no problems. Circle the items that were not completed satisfactorily and make notes in the margin.)

1. Does the VIN match what you agreed to purchase?

2. Is the mileage realistic, or has the dealer used the vehicle as a demo since you agreed to purchase it? (Be reasonable, but question anything greater than 150 miles.)

3. Ask the dealer personnel if any repairs or alterations have been made to the vehicle? (Accidents happen, even to new vehicles being delivered. An honest dealership will tell you, but you often have to ask.)

4. Is the exterior in perfect shape? (Not a blemish, scratch, or streak. Walk around the vehicle several times looking from as many angles as possible.)

5. Are the trim, rubstrips, decals, chrome, hood ornaments, and other exterior features present, in good shape (defect-free), and properly attached?

6. Doors, hoods, trunks, deck lids, and liftgates: Do they all work correctly? Do they seal properly? (You may not find this out until the test drive when you listen for noise.) Does the fit and finish match up between these and the rest of the body work? Do the locks work properly -- are they automatic, can they be operated remotely? Does the hood release lever operate from the inside. Do you know the location? Can you open the hood yourself? Does it stay up on its own?

7. Is the engine compartment in perfect shape? Is every dip stick, plastic cover, wire harness present and properly secured? All the fluids should be at optimal levels: oil, transmission, power steering, brake, windshield wash, and coolant. There should be very little dirt and grime, and not a single sign of fluid leakage of any kind. None of the engine components should show exterior wear or replacement -- things like one spark plug wire that is a completely different shade of black should draw a red flag and a question. They should replace them all with new items if that means you'll drive the vehicle away. Question the same thing a week later and you'll get a sour look.

8. Battery: Is it filled properly? Or is it a "no-service" type? (Check the level or sight dot.) No corrosion should be present on the electrodes. It should be properly connected -- fastened to wire leads and properly secured -- tied down in the vehicle. Ask about how to jump it properly. Does it have a special separate warranty?

9. Is the trunk in perfect shape? Is the carpeting properly fastened? Do the lights work correctly? Does the internal opening button work correctly? How about the outside lock? If it has gas shocks to hold up the lid, are they working properly? Are the extras, such as cargo nets, present as you ordered?

10. Fuel System: Which side is the filler door on? Can you open it from inside the vehicle? Does it lock? What grade of gasoline does the manufacturer recommend? How big is the tank? At what level does the fuel gauge on the dash register? (Many dealer's will buy the first tank, just ask!) Does the dash have a low fuel level warning light? Is there anything special about filling this vehicle with gas (i.e. some gas caps make a ratcheting sound when properly tightened)?

11. Tires: Where is the spare tire and jack system located? Is the spare properly inflated? How far can you go on "the donut"? Is the jack present, accessible? Have you been given a briefing on the use of the jack? (And where do you install it?) If you have wheel locks, where is the lug key? Are all the tires the same and as ordered? (Some performance tires have several different speed ratings and associated cost levels. Check the specific numbers on each tire.) What is the proper air pressure? What is the tire warranty and where is it? The tires should show no signs of wear, and should be properly inflated. Tires should be scuff-free. Are the hubcaps properly affixed?

12. Is the interior in perfect shape? Carpet, headliner, seats should have no tears, stains, or damage. Get in the car (both the front and back seats) and keep your eyes peeled for problems. Try out any device that will move, bend, turn, be pushed, or pulled. Do all the seatbelts work? Are the floor mats you ordered in the car?

13. Look in the glove box. Does it open properly? Is the owner's manual included? Does it lock?

14. Lighting and Signals. Know where the light switches are, and how they work. Where is the fuse box? Check the operation of all the lighting systems: headlights (low and high beams), tail lights, emergency flashers, brake lights, backing lights, trunk light, hood light, interior lights (map lights, dome lights, glove box, reading lights, running board lights). Does the vehicle have automatic shutoff? Is it for the headlights only? How long does the dome light stay on after unlocking and locking the door? Can you dim interior lights. What about the dashboard lights? Is the ignition switch lighted? Daytime running lights? Check left and right turn signals (front and back -- you'll need a helper) proper operation, and switch positions.

15. Windows, Sunroofs and Mirrors: Make sure there are no defects (chips, cracks). Are the options installed and how they working? (Options may include rear defogger, wiper and tinting.) Proper open and close operation tested on each window. Control device operation and location - power window controls, rapid down operation? Wipers, controls, delay systems, rear window?

16. Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning: Do you understand all the controls and features of the climate control operations and control panel? Are there special defoggers? Special filters? Multi level systems? Front and rear controls? Temperature settings, and automatic controls? Duct operation? Fan controls?

17. Sound System: Do you understand how everything operates? Adjust the controls and get sound out of each speaker. Does it sound correct to your ear? Try a cassette and CD (bring one with you). How do special features, such as equalizers, amplifiers, and trunk mounted CD tower work?

18. Do you understand operations and precautions with the safety features, such as seat belts and air bags? Do you know where each is located? What about cellular phone and navigation systems operation?

19. Driver's Seat: Do you know how to work the seat position controls and where they are located? Does the lumbar work? Note the steering wheel positioning, tilt, telescope, lock, horn, and cruise control. Examine the dashboard gauges and warning indicators -- turn the key one click and see what warning lights you get. Are these correct?

20. Dashboard and Controls: Do you understand all the gauges and what they tell you? If the gauges are digital, how do you change from English to Metric readings? Do you understand the trip odometer operation?

21. Keys: Do you have more than one set? Is the remote entry working? How does the alarm work (codes and disarmament)? Is there a panic button and cut off switch? Do the door locks have child protection?

The Test Drive

22. Get in and buckle up!

23. Ignition System: Does the car start properly?


24. Listen carefully to engine idle. Does it sound okay?

25. Look at the tailpipe. Any abnormal smoke or color? Moisture?

26. Brakes: Do you like the feel of the brake pedal (even and smooth)? How does the parking brake work? Does your foot have to be on the brake to shift out of park?

27. When you put the vehicle into gear, does it sound okay? Do the shift indicators line up with the proper gear that you are in (i.e. the indicator reads R when in reverse)?

28. Noise Check. Turn the radio off and use your senses. Drive over various road conditions and speeds that you know you will be frequenting. Listen for the Buzz Squeaks and Rattles (BSR) -- no tweet, tweet, tweet from the tailgate allowed. Also note NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) -- no loud thuds, or strange shaking between 50-55 MPH allowed.

29. Watch the gauges. Do they move and register properly? (Gauges include the odometer, speedometer, tachometer, oil pressure, and coolant temperature.)

30. Run the air conditioning and heating. Do they appear to work properly?

31. Check the vehicles acceleration and braking for proper operation.

32. Check the cruise control for proper operation.

33. Check the vehicle's handling: Can it turn a tight U-turn? Does it make any strange noises? Make right and left turns. Does the steering respond properly?

After the Spin

34. Open the hood and have a look. Any new fluid leaks? Is the radiator cap still on properly? (Have the service manager help with this one.) Check the oil and transmission levels yourself. Take a quick peek under the vehicle and make sure there are no fluids dripping on the pavement.

35. Is every option you ordered and paid for installed properly in the vehicle? So many options exist that it is impossible to make any kind of accurate listing. What is important is that what you've paid for is there, and that you know how to operate each one.

36. Has the vehicle been fully demonstrated, top to bottom, by the dealership? Do you understand how everything works on the vehicle?

37. Service Department: Have you met the service manager and taken a tour of the service area? Have they explained the specifics of the dealership's service policy and hours of operation? (Some dealers are by appointment only, some are first-come first-served. Most treat buyers from their dealership better than other walk-in customers. So keep that license plate holder with the dealer's name printed on it.) Has the service manager reviewed the basics of the service plan for your vehicle with you? Does the dealership have a free check up? What period of operation does it cover?

38. Does your vehicle have a 24-hour roadside assistance program? What does it entail?

39. Do you understand all your warranties? Limits? Coverage periods?

40. Did you buy a special service plan? What is covered?

41. Do you have a business card for each of the dealership personnel you've worked with?

42. Is every defect that you've noted been properly corrected?

43. Does the VIN on the vehicle match up with the documents that you are signing?

44. Have you read all the documents that you will sign? Do you have a copy of each document?

45. Title, Tags and Registration: Who holds the title? How long do the temporary tags last? Has the dealership ordered your new plates? Have your plates been transferred? Where is the registration located?

46. Insurance: Have you obtained proper insurance? If you're leasing do you have Gap Insurance?

That's an awesome link you found, very worthy of a bump.

Once again, the link is:
http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/people/k...Checklist.html
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST