E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Some basic Info on the M steering wheel



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
HRC
MAUI BUILT
HRC's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
7,779
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i MT
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Arrow Some basic Info on the M steering wheel

I received mine today and I wanted to let people who are interested know that the M wheel is thicker than the stock pre-September build zsp wheel. The leather is also different, much more soft. And like bavarian said, more "cushy" compared to the firm zsp wheel.

I will post pictures after I get my steering wheel cover and install everything.

Danny
__________________
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box

Last edited by HRC; 02-16-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
HRC
MAUI BUILT
HRC's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
7,779
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i MT
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
some pics of the difference side by side.
Attached Images
   
__________________
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
longtran
Moderator
longtran's Avatar
443
Rep
16,617
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
very nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
235
Rep
18,815
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

It is a much better feel than even the stock wheel. I love it every time Im in my car
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
Hunter399
Major General
Hunter399's Avatar
111
Rep
7,757
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (30)

Will you be doing the install?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
HRC
MAUI BUILT
HRC's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
7,779
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i MT
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
Will you be doing the install?
Yes, I'm just waiting for the msport cover. When that arrives, I will install the wheel.

Danny
__________________
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
E90hawaii
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: E90 sprk graphite
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
Yes, I'm just waiting for the msport cover. When that arrives, I will install the wheel.

Danny
Hey Danny,

Where did you purchase the Msport cover? I installed the regular cover over the Msport wheel last weekend and found out that there is a slight mismatch between the Msport wheel and the standard multifunction cover. There is a small gap that annoys the heck out of me. I've emailed pacific BMW and they told me there was no such thing here in the US. Please help!?

Thanks,

Ted
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 12:58 AM   #8
HRC
MAUI BUILT
HRC's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
7,779
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i MT
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Ted,

Really? Where is the gap? I purchased the cover from DTM Passion (FranK). Drop him a PM. Mine should get here on the 20th or so...

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90hawaii
Hey Danny,

Where did you purchase the Msport cover? I installed the regular cover over the Msport wheel last weekend and found out that there is a slight mismatch between the Msport wheel and the standard multifunction cover. There is a small gap that annoys the heck out of me. I've emailed pacific BMW and they told me there was no such thing here in the US. Please help!?

Thanks,

Ted
__________________
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #9
E90hawaii
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: E90 sprk graphite
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
Ted,

Really? Where is the gap? I purchased the cover from DTM Passion (FranK). Drop him a PM. Mine should get here on the 20th or so...

Danny
If you look at the curve from the bottom spoke of the wheel the the lateral spokes, you'll see that the standard sport cover forms a perfect curve. Whereas the soft rubber part of your Msport wheel has curve with a slight angle change near the lateral spokes. This slight difference causes an ever so slight gap between the cover and the soft rubber part of the Msport wheel.

One thing I'd caution you during the install is not to screw the three screws too tight when putting the wheel cover on. I screwed one of them one to many turns and it popped out the plastic thread. now the right side of my wheel cover is slightly loose, another annoying thing! That's another reason why I'm looking for the Msport cover.

How much did Frank charge for the Msport cover including shipping?

Thanks,

Ted
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
Broken1
E90 Addict
Broken1's Avatar
South Africa
52
Rep
2,040
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i Sparking Graphite
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I would love an M sport wheel, but I would be too affraid to fit it myself because of the airbag. :-)

Oh well, it's better I don't spend unnessasary cash on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
HRC
MAUI BUILT
HRC's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
7,779
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i MT
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
I got the cover for $110 shipped. Should be here in a few days. I can picture what your talking about regarding the gap. I wonder if Bavarian has the same gap?

Thanks for the tip regarding the cover screws! I was looking at them and thinking how easy it could be to break the cover by overtightning them! Great call, and sorry you had to find out the hard way, but the upside is a new m cover!

I was wondering if Bavarian, you and anyone else that has installed this wheel has fixed the slight rubbing of the stock zsp wheel? I have the rubbing and was hoping the new wheel will eliminate the rubbing and creaking. Fingers crossed!

Danny


Quote:
Originally Posted by E90hawaii
If you look at the curve from the bottom spoke of the wheel the the lateral spokes, you'll see that the standard sport cover forms a perfect curve. Whereas the soft rubber part of your Msport wheel has curve with a slight angle change near the lateral spokes. This slight difference causes an ever so slight gap between the cover and the soft rubber part of the Msport wheel.

One thing I'd caution you during the install is not to screw the three screws too tight when putting the wheel cover on. I screwed one of them one to many turns and it popped out the plastic thread. now the right side of my wheel cover is slightly loose, another annoying thing! That's another reason why I'm looking for the Msport cover.

How much did Frank charge for the Msport cover including shipping?

Thanks,

Ted
__________________
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
ItalyBMW325
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
256
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
I got the cover for $110 shipped. Should be here in a few days. I can picture what your talking about regarding the gap. I wonder if Bavarian has the same gap?

Thanks for the tip regarding the cover screws! I was looking at them and thinking how easy it could be to break the cover by overtightning them! Great call, and sorry you had to find out the hard way, but the upside is a new m cover!

I was wondering if Bavarian, you and anyone else that has installed this wheel has fixed the slight rubbing of the stock zsp wheel? I have the rubbing and was hoping the new wheel will eliminate the rubbing and creaking. Fingers crossed!

Danny

That gap will be there for everyone unless you change the cover. I have it to but it doesnt bother me since you cant see it...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
ItalyBMW325
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
256
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
I would love an M sport wheel, but I would be too affraid to fit it myself because of the airbag. :-)

Oh well, it's better I don't spend unnessasary cash on my car.

It took me 30 minutes easy install. The airbag should not deploy if you disconnect the battery! There is no power to it.. follow bavarian instructions they are perfect!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
12
Rep
647
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (7)

i want the m wheel but too ckicken to install it myself despite the diy thread with pics and direction. if i take it into the dealer when i get my oil changed, how much do u think they'll charge for it? thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
ItalyBMW325
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
256
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
I received mine today and I wanted to let people who are interested know that the M wheel is thicker than the stock zsp wheel. The leather is also different, much more soft. And like bavarian said, more "cushy" compared to the firm zsp wheel.

I will post pictures after I get my steering wheel cover and install everything.

Danny
It is not thicker than the new stock sport steering wheel. For some reason BMW changed the sport steering wheel (I am not sure when) but I know those who get the sports package now will get one with thumb supports and same size as the M sport wheel.. I like you had the old one and love my M wheel!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
HRC
MAUI BUILT
HRC's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
7,779
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i MT
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalyBMW325
It is not thicker than the new stock sport steering wheel. For some reason BMW changed the sport steering wheel (I am not sure when) but I know those who get the sports package now will get one with thumb supports and same size as the M sport wheel.. I like you had the old one and love my M wheel!

Thanks for the clarification! I thought the new zsp wheel just had the thumb supports, but they got more than just that! The old zsp wheel is compared to the mwheel and the post-September zsp wheel!!

Danny
__________________
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
MojorisinM3
Major
MojorisinM3's Avatar
49
Rep
1,060
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

I did a M steering wheel swap on my old E46 330i, follow the instructions and its no big deal. I did it with the intent to remove before I sold the car and I was too lazy for that

When I was doing test drives between my M3 and E90 330i there was a noticable difference in "cushiness" between the 2 cars. The E90 is faaaar better than the E46 though, I think I can live with it for a while and spend my money on something else...

Anyway, how much is the M sport wheel going for on the E90?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #18
HRC
MAUI BUILT
HRC's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
7,779
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i MT
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3
I did a M steering wheel swap on my old E46 330i, follow the instructions and its no big deal. I did it with the intent to remove before I sold the car and I was too lazy for that

When I was doing test drives between my M3 and E90 330i there was a noticable difference in "cushiness" between the 2 cars. The E90 is faaaar better than the E46 though, I think I can live with it for a while and spend my money on something else...

Anyway, how much is the M sport wheel going for on the E90?
It's $185 plus shipping on ebay.

Danny
__________________
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 11:37 PM   #19
E90hawaii
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: E90 sprk graphite
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
i want the m wheel but too ckicken to install it myself despite the diy thread with pics and direction. if i take it into the dealer when i get my oil changed, how much do u think they'll charge for it? thanks
Hey govtec,

The dealer told me about 30-45min at a rate of $100/hr.
I was about to have the dealer install it, but they pissed me off cuz I would have to wait 2-3 hrs before they could start on it. So I installed it myself. I too was kinda feeling uncertain about it, but the hardest part was figuring out the place to pop out the airbag. Check out bavarian's DIY, the exact places are discretely hidden behind the wheel. Once the bag is out, everything is really easy. I had fears that I'd be driving and the steering wheel would fall off, but the way it's design, the deadbolt is so long that there would be no way. To get around the "how tight should I tighten the bolt?" question, I simply used a permanent marker and drew an arrow on the bolt point straight up and made sure that when I tightened the thing it would be back in the same exact position. Oh, and one last thing, make sure you don't lock yourself outta the trunk like I did. Take something over the latch so your habit of closing the trunk does mess you up. Hope this alays your fears, it's really pretty simple and you'll be glad you saved the cash for something else.

Ted
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #20
Matt_UKTX
Second Lieutenant
7
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 35d
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
It's $185 plus shipping on ebay.

Danny
I have the 330 non sport. What would I need to buy in addition to the steering wheel if I wanted an M sport wheel in my car?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 11:56 PM   #21
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
45
Rep
3,468
Posts

 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
I would love an M sport wheel, but I would be too affraid to fit it myself because of the airbag. :-)

Oh well, it's better I don't spend unnessasary cash on my car.
I too have the same fear, even though i would disconnect the battery as instructed, I too scared to do that to my car!!!

I believe that having my dealer install the wheel might set me back some US$1,300.00.

Talk about unnecessary cash for a steering wheel!!

So Mr BMW dealer, when can you install one for me?
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #22
ksfrogman
Major General
ksfrogman's Avatar
United_States
154
Rep
6,751
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
some pics of the difference side by side.
That's a fat steering wheel. Thanks for the comparison pics with the M vs stock ZSP wheel. Very helpful!
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST