E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Am I hearing Detonation?

11-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #23
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
unplug the negative terminal on your battery for about an hour and let your ECU reset. Then try again.
besides having to reset the clock & date, any other consequences when unplugging the battery?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #24
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
besides having to reset the clock & date, any other consequences when unplugging the battery?
Ha, I'll let you know since my battery has been unplugged for 20 mins now.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #25
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
would not the ECU throw u into LIMP mode before it lets the engine ping/detonate/ damage itself ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi335 View Post
i was thinking the same thing
+1

I think you get a few pings and then it yanks the timing back and throws a limp mode. I don't think it can predict detonation, only sense it and react. That's what happened the first time out with my PROcede on the crap gas we get here in Phoenix. I immediately went to a 100/91 mix since it's readily available all over town and I haven't had a limp mode since that first day
      11-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #26
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Great suggestions all! The computer and sensors on this vehicle are extremely sensitive to knock and ping. I feel we have perhaps either bad gas or something else going on. The car would definitely go limp if detonations was occuring at a level that is audible.

There are a couple of sounds at wot that I hear now and then when shifting that could be mistaken for ping.

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #27
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

If this guy is getting audible detonation, shouldn't he discontinue driving WOT immediately until the exact reason can be determined. This can be engine ending if he is hearing the detonation from the driver's seat of a very well insulated car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #28
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep

Well it appears my ECU just needed to be reset. This morning in relatively cool 60 degree temps I did several WOT 0-60 blasts with 6k rpm + 1-2 shifts and could not duplicate the pinging I heard before. I'm not sure if the cool temps had any affect.

Someone asked about any other consequences related to unplugging the battery - the only thing I had to reset was the clock. I lost the data for avg mph, avg mpg and my trip mileage but other than that all my sirius and regular radio stations remained.

It could be in my head but the car may even seem a little stronger than before the ECU reset.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's great to have so many knowledgeable gearheads on this forum.

Last edited by RMRC; 11-23-2007 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #29
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
Well it appears my ECU just needed to be reset. This morning in relatively cool 60 degree temps I did several WOT 0-60 blasts with 6k rpm + 1-2 shifts and could not duplicate the pinging I heard before. I'm not sure if the cool temps had any affect.

Someone asked about any other consequences related to unplugging the battery - the only thing I had to reset was the clock. I lost the data for avg mph, avg mpg and my trip mileage but other than that all my sirius and regular radio stations remained.

It could be in my head but the car may even seem a little stronger than before the ECU reset.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's great to have such a wealth of knowledgeable gearheads on this forum.
Great news I would still bet you might have gotten some bad gas (:

Glad the reset let you re-adapt!

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #30
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I hear dead people...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #31
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned335i View Post
+1

I think you get a few pings and then it yanks the timing back and throws a limp mode. I don't think it can predict detonation, only sense it and react. That's what happened the first time out with my PROcede on the crap gas we get here in Phoenix. I immediately went to a 100/91 mix since it's readily available all over town and I haven't had a limp mode since that first day
i am curious. so u used crap gas, got a ping or two, then your car went into limp mode correct?

i never got a limp mode (hope i never do), but when u got your limp mode - what did you do, shut it down and wait say 5 minutes?
then all is fine, and u start it right up like nothing happened?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #32
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Eurobahn.us View Post
Great news I would still bet you might have gotten some bad gas (:
Jeff
Eurobahn
You'd think but it's the same gas as yesterday and I've heard the pinging with both Chevron 91 and Shell 91 and on different tanks. Let's just hope the ECU had to reset and I don't hear it again.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:56 AM   #33
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport

Detonation is never a "ping" it sounds like bee bees in a can. Are you sure you just weren't hearing the BOV? If it's auto you should be able to hear it pretty well and more so with a tuning option. I was pretty surprised to hear that durning a test drive. I've not heard it with my MT.
Appreciate 0