E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW AWD sytems are not performance oriented?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-06-2007, 02:58 AM   #23
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven_227 View Post
Those whoe think that Audi's Quattro is superior, have you ever tracked your Quattros??? Audi's quattro is known for its understeer specially in tracking conditions, but it's fixed with the new R8 ,which transfers more power to the front wheels only after the back is loose, unlike the older version when the cars didnt allow oversteer.

EDIT: Lets put it this way, EVO X AWD system > BMW Xdrive > Audi Quattro .
I have never heard so much BS, X-Drive better than Quattro. You must not have had our experienced Quattro on the track, try an Audi Driving Experience day and you will know when correctly used Quattro is by far the best system in tricky conditions. Try pulling away quickly with X-Drive and the rear wheels slip briefly before the fronts are brought into play, try the same with Quattro and there is no slip just pure acceleration. Quattro isn't slow reacting like X-Drive is.



Need I say more.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2007, 03:08 AM   #24
seven_227
Lieutenant
 
seven_227's Avatar
 
Drives: AW e92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I have never heard so much BS, X-Drive better than Quattro. You must not have had our experienced Quattro on the track, try an Audi Driving Experience day and you will know when correctly used Quattro is by far the best system in tricky conditions. Try pulling away quickly with X-Drive and the rear wheels slip briefly before the fronts are brought into play, try the same with Quattro and there is no slip just pure acceleration. Quattro isn't slow reacting like X-Drive is.



Need I say more.
Well I did say that it's better after the R8 didnt I, that includes the A5/S5.

"Try pulling away quickly with X-Drive and the rear wheels slip briefly before the fronts are brought into play, try the same with Quattro and there is no slip"

That would be better for weather conditions, but not on a track were no slip = understeer

I gave my opinion EVO AWD > X-DRIVE > Quattro , based on track performance not on bad weather driving
__________________
seven_227 is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #25
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven_227 View Post
Well I did say that it's better after the R8 didnt I, that includes the A5/S5.

"Try pulling away quickly with X-Drive and the rear wheels slip briefly before the fronts are brought into play, try the same with Quattro and there is no slip"

That would be better for weather conditions, but not on a track were no slip = understeer

I gave my opinion EVO AWD > X-DRIVE > Quattro , based on track performance not on bad weather driving
R8's system is totally different to that of the new A5, it's system is based on the RS4 which has a 40/60 split where as the R8 is 15/85 (I think).

As for Quattro only having understeer on the track, sorry this is again another misunderstand of the product, if driven properly Quattro handles just the same as an EVO, you just need the skills to unlock it.



As for Quattro being slower on the track even when not driven like the above video shows, it will still be quicker in the right hands though admittedly I am not capable of driving it to such abilities.



I not here to knock you down only to help explain that while boring compared to rwd in non-skilled hands the car is every bit as quick if not quicker than rwd.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #26
elucas730
I'm just here for the turbo
 
Drives: 2004 STi, 2007 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Apalachin, NY

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I not here to knock you down only to help explain that while boring compared to rwd in non-skilled hands the car is every bit as quick if not quicker than rwd.
First off, sorry that you have been made delusional by Audi's marketing campaign. Second,

AWD adds weight and cost,\ and has more power loss through the drivetrain. All things being equal (as in 335i vs 335xi), the 335i will be the better performer on any kind of track because it weighs less, has less drivetrain losses, and is better balanced with less understeer. Now if you take these two cars, make them weigh the same, make them equally weight balanced, and up the horsepower on the AWD model so that it puts the same power to the ground as the non-AWD model, then maybe the AWD will be the better performer. But this can only happen in fantasy-land.

And, yes, your precious Audis understeer like pigs (just like my STi and most/all other AWD cars). Can you cause oversteer by mashing the gas pedal in the middle of a turn? Sure. But AWD cars are naturally setup to understeer.
__________________
Current Rides: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan 6MT Montego Blue, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (for sale), 2004 Mazda RX-8 6MT
Fondly Remember: 1988 Porsche 924S, 1992 Mitsu 3000GT SL, 2001 BMW Z3 2.5i
elucas730 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 04:09 AM   #27
seven_227
Lieutenant
 
seven_227's Avatar
 
Drives: AW e92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

"if driven properly Quattro handles just the same as an EVO"
I have to disagree, if you watched those videos carefully you'll notice that the S5 went around every corner sideways, he always lifted, makes me wonder Look at the EVO taking those corners, you will see how differently he takes the corners with both cars.

And in that Topgear video you can clearly see that the S4 under steering, in the dry, when its not sideways around corners.

There are plenty more videos were Jeremy talks about how Quattro tends to understeer, and a video of Tiff nedle reviewing the R8 were he mentions that unlike previous Audis the R8 doesn't understeer on the limits, it actually oversteers. Watch them.
__________________
seven_227 is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST