E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge!!!

12-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: f30

One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge!!!

http://www.randi.org/research/index.html

scottwww, floridaboy, its ray den, hks786, go for it and make some money. Prove that God exist, and you get a cool mil.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: *

I've learned over the years that me, you, Christians and everyone have different opinions on what proof is. This means that for me to win the challenege I'd have to provide something that is deemed as evidence for JREF which isnt very objective at all.
      12-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I've learned over the years that me, you, Christians and everyone have different opinions on what proof is. This means that for me to win the challenege I'd have to provide something that is deemed as evidence for JREF which isnt very objective at all.
c'mon, go for it! It's half million pounds!!

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I guess, there are no takers...
Does that mean that religious folks believe in something that they can't prove even when offered a million bucks? I mean, you can always give it to your church.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
c'mon, go for it! It's half million pounds!!
what does that change? it's an impossibility. We cant agree on what proof is so it's pointless attempting it. The challenge might aswell be to lick my elbow.
      12-30-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what does that change? it's an impossibility. We cant agree on what proof is so it's pointless attempting it. The challenge might aswell be to lick my elbow.
See now you have to think outside of the box. You could have a team of surgeons amputate your arm, have you lick it, and reattach it. After medical expenses, you'd still walk away with a good chunk of change.

Back to the OP, are you saying that you are special, so you see and feel things I don’t?
Is it genetically pre-programmed?

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

That's completely different. I used a bad example and I knew you would pick up on it. Sadly, you didnt pick up on the fact that that while I could amputate my arm etc. I cant actually make you accept my "proof" as evidence. We clearly have different ideas about what proof is.

And no it's nothing to do with being special. We just cant agree on what proof is...
      12-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's completely different. I used a bad example and I knew you would pick up on it. Sadly, you didnt pick up on the fact that that while I could amputate my arm etc. I cant actually make you accept my "proof" as evidence. We clearly have different ideas about what proof is.

And no it's nothing to do with being special. We just cant agree on what proof is...
And what is your proof again?

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 328xi

See Deuteronomy 6:16 then come back to me. Look up the definition of "faith" while you're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Some Mazda junk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
See Deuteronomy 6:16 then come back to me. Look up the definition of "faith" while you're at it.
Bible as a proof...
Go watch the Seahorse movie then start a thread about seahorses...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Deuteronomy 6:16
“Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah.”

This is a free country (see below) and questioning authority is mentally healthy!!!

Can’t you see that 3rdt commandment:

“You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God”

Is in direct opposition to the 1st amendment!!! Freedom of speech. 3rd grade logic shows that US has not be founded as a Christian nation.

Amendment One

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

"Truth is sought for its own sake. And those who are engaged upon the quest for anything for its own sake are not interested in other things. Finding the truth is difficult, and the road to it is rough.”

And faith is belief without evidence. Please pm me if you want to buy a bridge in sunny Florida. Show me some faith.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Did somebody say we were a Christian nation? Religious most certainly but not necessarily Christian. Most of the founding fathers were deists I think.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

“You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God”
Is in direct opposition to the 1st amendment!!!

Huh? How can a rule about living your life be compared to a rule about how the government will run a country? There isn't really any relationship there, other than it being a rule.
Thoe who came to the New World were looking for religious freedom and tolerance. That doesn't necessarily imply Christianity, although many were in that boat, so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #14
Neurorad
Major
Rep

Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP

Nobody can prove the existence of god(s). Every religion is premised upon faith, i.e. there can be no proof. You have to believe with your heart, not your brain. It's emotional, not logical. Religion has nothing to do with logic.

Stop trying to make believers prove it, and stop trying to offer proof. Can't be done, stop wasting your time. Believe, or don't.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Nobody can prove the existence of god(s). Every religion is premised upon faith, i.e. there can be no proof. You have to believe with your heart, not your brain. It's emotional, not logical. Religion has nothing to do with logic.

Stop trying to make believers prove it, and stop trying to offer proof. Can't be done, stop wasting your time. Believe, or don't.
That's all nice and tolerant, however religious VOTE! That concerns me, because they can't think for themselves. They buy what their church tells them. Hook, line and sinker.

I’m trying to raise critical-thinking awareness among the religious.

P.S. I used to not care until they started pushing the intelligent design into science class.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #16
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And what is your proof again?
If you really want to know what Islam teaches, why dont you google it up?

I've already told you that from nothing comes nothing. The only way the Big Bang could have happened is if there was a CAUSE. Now we know that the universe hasnt always just been there, it expands and it can be traced back to a point source i.e the Big Bang.

Also, living cells dont just pop out of NOTHING, even Darwin admitted this himself! that's why it was called the "theory of evolution", it's just a theory.
      12-31-2007, 08:26 PM   #17
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you really want to know what Islam teaches, why dont you google it up?

I've already told you that from nothing comes nothing. The only way the Big Bang could have happened is if there was a CAUSE. Now we know that the universe hasnt always just been there, it expands and it can be traced back to a point source i.e the Big Bang.

Also, living cells dont just pop out of NOTHING, even Darwin admitted this himself! that's why it was called the "theory of evolution", it's just a theory.
Hks786,

We must set basic rules of engagement.

1. We (humans) Don’t know the origin of Universe or life!
2. We have our smartest, brightest, most challenging minds working on it 24/7!!!
3. Above mentioned will not take any s&*t from anyone…
4. God (human need for SkyDaddy) is a plausible hypothesis

OK, THIS IS THE WHERE WE MUST SPLIT HAIRS:

1. Does God exist??
2. Who’s God???
a) Buddha?
b) Hindu?
c) Jesus?
d) Allah?

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #18
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Some Mazda junk...

Quote:
Hks786,

We must set basic rules of engagement.

1. We (humans) Don’t know the origin of Universe or life!
2. We have our smartest, brightest, most challenging minds working on it 24/7!!!
3. Above mentioned will not take any s&*t from anyone…
4. God (human need for SkyDaddy) is a plausible hypothesis

OK, THIS IS THE WHERE WE MUST SPLIT HAIRS:

1. Does God exist??
2. Who’s God???
a) Buddha?
b) Hindu?
c) Jesus?
d) Allah?
you forgot Mohammad...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #19
Ru$$ell
M0derator
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Drives: your mom

Send a message via MSN to Ru$$ell
^Muhammad is the last messenger and prophet of God(for muslims)
      01-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
P.S. I used to not care until they started pushing the intelligent design into science class.
Intelligent design is just as plausible as evolution. Neither has any proof. Humans somehow came about from a bunch of organic molecules floating around in the oceans? Suuuuure.

P.S. Allele frequency and such I'm not calling into question, that stuff works and is entirely provable, but the long term is not and has not proof other than, "well it's possible this could have happened".

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #21
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Intelligent design is just as plausible as evolution. Neither has any proof. Humans somehow came about from a bunch of organic molecules floating around in the oceans? Suuuuure.

P.S. Allele frequency and such I'm not calling into question, that stuff works and is entirely provable, but the long term is not and has not proof other than, "well it's possible this could have happened".
Intelligent design is not a theory, because it is based on un-testable hypothesis.
Intelligent design is simply creationism in disguise.

And, what is so intelligent about it? Why do humans and other animals have waste disposal and entertainment system 2 inches from each other? Penguins are birds that don’t fly? The creator must be very interested in bugs:

Insects are a major group of arthropods and the most diverse group of animals on the Earth, with over a million described species—more than half of all known living organisms with published estimates of undescribed species as high as 30 million, thus potentially representing over 90% of the life forms on the planet.

Make sure you educate yourself at places other than your local church.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #22
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

That proves what exactly? One problem that all you people do (by you people I mean Darwin lovers) is assume intelligent design = God. That's not true. I personally believe in God but from a scientific standpoint it could have just as easily been the black monolith or some other highly advance alien race/technology that created life on this planet.
Quote:
Intelligent design is not a theory, because it is based on un-testable hypothesis.
Evolution can be tested? How?
Quote:
And, what is so intelligent about it? Why do humans and other animals have waste disposal and entertainment system 2 inches from each other? Penguins are birds that don’t fly?
Same argument in reverse. Yeah those seem weird, so why the hell would things evolve like that?

Quote:
Appreciate 0