E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Partial throttle response

01-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
slubu
Never Go Full Retard

Drives: White Lightning

Partial throttle response

First off, I don't have a 335 so I don't know what the stock throttle response is. I do have a 330i, and I like that power is available without having to depress the throttle completely, and it is more of a factor of getting over 3k rpms than pushing down the pedal.

With these tunes out there, are the partial throttle responses pronounced? Please tell me if this is accurate:

- JBS2 : Yes
- V2: Yes
- Dinan: No
- Attache: Before yes, now no.

Is there a benefit in not having power at partial throttle response? I can see the gas savings, but otherwise is it a matter of preference? For example, I believe Helix recently changed it to a more linear power surge which I am not sure what it means. Maybe it is less jerky?

For someone who values "feel" of the tune more than specific numbers, this seems to be an important point. Just curious what others think about this.

Thanks.
      01-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Clem
Major

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR ESS VT2

Send a message via AIM to Clem
With so much low end power even on a stock 335, part throttle response won't be a disappointment. Well, shouldn't be.

I'm running PROcede V1.47 and have the V2 harness in hand. 1.47 is VERY strong down low and I'm sure that V2 not disappoint. Well, shouldn't.
      01-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major

TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar

Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
First off, I don't have a 335 so I don't know what the stock throttle response is. I do have a 330i, and I like that power is available without having to depress the throttle completely, and it is more of a factor of getting over 3k rpms than pushing down the pedal.

With these tunes out there, are the partial throttle responses pronounced? Please tell me if this is accurate:

- JBS2 : Yes
- V2: Yes
- Dinan: No
- Attache: Before yes, now no.

Is there a benefit in not having power at partial throttle response? I can see the gas savings, but otherwise is it a matter of preference? For example, I believe Helix recently changed it to a more linear power surge which I am not sure what it means. Maybe it is less jerky?

For someone who values "feel" of the tune more than specific numbers, this seems to be an important point. Just curious what others think about this.

Thanks.
I think you misunderstood my response as far as part throttle boost is concerned... There is still improved throttle response with the helix tune. what we changed was that under cruise conditions and very low throttle inputs the boost retains a stocklike feel and stocklike boost profile. this directly translates to better gas mileage as these little turbos have a tendency to spool right up at very low throttle inputs if you let them. We tuned in a very nice transition from the low throttle inputs(low boost) to wide open throttle(high boost) and all in all the car with the Helix tune is very enjoyable to drive. Also a note that in no way do these changes affect the wide open power outputs shown in the dyno's

we want to get the updated tune on the local guys cars and I'll let them independently comment on the subject
      01-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
WilyB
Captain

Drives: E92 335

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
... and have the V2 harness in hand.
You should dyno your car with and without the harness in your hand and post the results here.
      01-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
boostedbavarian
......................... .........................

Drives: to many cars too fast

Send a message via AIM to boostedbavarian
theres plenty of torque down low for partial throtle..
      01-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
slubu
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbavarian View Post
theres plenty of torque down low for partial throtle..
on which tune?
      01-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
slubu
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTurboBullett View Post
I think you misunderstood my response as far as part throttle boost is concerned... There is still improved throttle response with the helix tune. what we changed was that under cruise conditions and very low throttle inputs the boost retains a stocklike feel and stocklike boost profile. this directly translates to better gas mileage as these little turbos have a tendency to spool right up at very low throttle inputs if you let them. We tuned in a very nice transition from the low throttle inputs(low boost) to wide open throttle(high boost) and all in all the car with the Helix tune is very enjoyable to drive. Also a note that in no way do these changes affect the wide open power outputs shown in the dyno's

we want to get the updated tune on the local guys cars and I'll let them independently comment on the subject
Thanks TT, that does make sense. Look forward to those reviews!
      01-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #8
MNR0
Private First Class

Drives: 335i (also own an LS1)

In stock form the off-idle response is pathetic. in 1st gear at 3000rpm is when things start happening. its almost as if the car is detuned for old farts. Personally, I hate it. If somethign could be done to lift the throttle response from idle to 2000RPM significantly that would be awesome.
      01-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
slubu
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR0 View Post
In stock form the off-idle response is pathetic. in 1st gear at 3000rpm is when things start happening. its almost as if the car is detuned for old farts. Personally, I hate it. If somethign could be done to lift the throttle response from idle to 2000RPM significantly that would be awesome.
See, I agree. Do any tunes do this? Shiv? Attache? I believe it is not Dinan..
      01-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 917-939-4980

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Procede definately gives you a better throttle response...I drove around in valet mod for an hour, then turned on the Procede and the difference was significant...not tiny but enormous throttle difference from the very little throttle
cn555ic is offline   United_States