E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Coolant problems



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-22-2016, 10:45 PM   #1
335dM
Major
50
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Coolant problems

So I have a 335d m-sport that I bought brand new!
Since I bought it I installed a electronic performance wheel which gives me coolant temp reading!

It never went more than 86 F

Since 2-3 months, I see temperature going up to 98F
And it happens on different type of driving, when the car idles and on the highway at 120 km/h
I dunno what to do!
I'm still under warranty and the dealers said that nothing is wrong ( no check engine) I use to hear the the fan start. Now I never hear them, I tried to let the car idle and let the temperature go up to 98F and I still cannot hear the fan start! I told the dealer to check it and they said ( 2 dealerships) that everything was normal!
Could it be a bad thermostat or a temp sensor ?
I'm confused!!
Dealer doesn't want to do anything???
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 06:37 AM   #2
335dM
Major
50
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Up
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
leo_du_garde
New Member
leo_du_garde's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: X5, 335d, 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (0)

I have the same exact car as you with 85k miles. About a month ago i discovered the cooling fan wasnt kicking on. Dealer tested the fan and sure enough it was dead. Swapped for a new one (pretty quick fix) and all is good now. Check if your cooling fan is on when you turn on the ac. If its reasonably warm outside the ac should also kick on the cooling fan.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
BB_cuda
Colonel
BB_cuda's Avatar
167
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Msport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clear Lake, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_du_garde View Post
I have the same exact car as you with 85k miles. About a month ago i discovered the cooling fan wasnt kicking on. Dealer tested the fan and sure enough it was dead. Swapped for a new one (pretty quick fix) and all is good now. Check if your cooling fan is on when you turn on the ac. If its reasonably warm outside the ac should also kick on the cooling fan.
+1.After fan is shown to work, you may need to see if fan is commanded on when coolant is hot enough. Anyone know the temp fan is supposed to come on at? When I changed my thermostat, I ran car in garage for about 30 minutes with reservoir cap off. This is for self bleeding the system. My point is the fan started pulsing off and on after about 25 minutes IIRC. My coolant never goes above 86C. I don't have EGR cooler though so that heat isn't dumped back into cooling loop. I have heard here that normal temp should be around 88C.

Has your cooling system been disturbed during maintenance ? It might possibly have air in the system.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
335dwanted
Private
4
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2009 335d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Are you sure those temps are F? Would be pretty typical if C.

There is a way to get the dash to show coolant temp by getting into secret menu; do a search. You can then check the steering wheel readout.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
335dM
Major
50
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dwanted
Are you sure those temps are F? Would be pretty typical if C.

There is a way to get the dash to show coolant temp by getting into secret menu; do a search. You can then check the steering wheel readout.
I have a Electronic Performance steering wheel which shows me all date.
Fan never starts even tho dealership tested it and told me they were fine!
The temperature is not normal, I've had the car since new and it never went over 86 degree
Now it's at 98
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
logandeere
Enlisted Member
United_States
1
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: maryland

iTrader: (0)

while on the topic of cooling fans is it normal for the cooling fan to be on after the car is off for a few minutes?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
BB_cuda
Colonel
BB_cuda's Avatar
167
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Msport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clear Lake, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Logan, cars that have all emissions in place can do this. If you're in middle of DPF regen when you turn car off, fan runs after shutdown to relieve high temps under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
Hoooper
Colonel
105
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA

iTrader: (0)

Fan should always run at a minimum of low speed when a/c is on, thats the easiest way to make sure the fan works.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
335dM
Major
50
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
Fan should always run at a minimum of low speed when a/c is on, thats the easiest way to make sure the fan works.
My problems happens on highway!
At 70 mph my temp can go up or down
81-98
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #11
BB_cuda
Colonel
BB_cuda's Avatar
167
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Msport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clear Lake, Texas

iTrader: (0)

You shouldn't need radiator fan help when on freeway. I'm sort of wondering if this is another harmonic balance. That would cause water pump to not run.
335dM, any funny things going on with power steering or alternator intermittently ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #12
335dM
Major
50
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda
You shouldn't need radiator fan help when on freeway. I'm sort of wondering if this is another harmonic balance. That would cause water pump to not run.
335dM, any funny things going on with power steering or alternator intermittently ?
Nope
I'm kind of leaning towards a bad temp. Sensor
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
Hoooper
Colonel
105
Rep
2,020
Posts

Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA

iTrader: (0)

The thermostats are known to go bad early, if it's not the temp sensor its likely that.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
335dM
Major
50
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
Fan should always run at a minimum of low speed when a/c is on, thats the easiest way to make sure the fan works.
Fan does starts with ac on and temp goes down when stopped
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #15
Dazza335iC
Private First Class
United_States
10
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: E30 345iC MTechnic, '11 335D
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335D  [0.00]
1992 345iC  [0.00]
OP, are the temps you're seeing measured in F or C? If C, you're OK, those are within spec. If F, they're far below where they should be and your thermostat is likely broken. Please confirm whether F or C, then see here for thermostat info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=thermo
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #16
335dM
Major
50
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Celsius
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #17
fsd350
Second Lieutenant
fsd350's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
The thermostats are known to go bad early, if it's not the temp sensor its likely that.
I had to replace my T-stat at only 53k miles. Was only averaging about 67c.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #18
BB_cuda
Colonel
BB_cuda's Avatar
167
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2011 335D Msport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clear Lake, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
OP, are the temps you're seeing measured in F or C? If C, you're OK, those are within spec. If F, they're far below where they should be and your thermostat is likely broken. Please confirm whether F or C, then see here for thermostat info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=thermo
98C sounds a little high to me. On that other thread, the one guys T/S ( that is thermal industry jargon for thermostat by the way) physically broke. He was going high too. Most of us that changed T/S out had "too cool" issue
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #19
335dwanted
Private
4
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2009 335d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (0)

98C is just a couple of degrees higher than what I see with some frequency (205F or 96C). During regens I get to 100C or very close.

I replaced my thermostat in the fall of last year due to temps being too cold as Cuda suggests below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
98C sounds a little high to me. On that other thread, the one guys T/S ( that is thermal industry jargon for thermostat by the way) physically broke. He was going high too. Most of us that changed T/S out had "too cool" issue
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #20
Thecastle
First Lieutenant
32
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I believe that these thermostats are designed to fail open, so typical symptom would engine never gets to normal operating temp 86-88C

Have you ever had any part of the cooling system replaced like EGR cooler, etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #21
335dM
Major
50
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle
I believe that these thermostats are designed to fail open, so typical symptom would engine never gets to normal operating temp 86-88C

Have you ever had any part of the cooling system replaced like EGR cooler, etc?
EGR 3 years ago
That's it
I'll just change the temp sensor even if I'm under warranty and change coolant.
F&$ing stealership! I'm pissed at them not to do anything about it!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #22
335dsleeper
Captain
113
Rep
904
Posts

Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Suffolk, va

iTrader: (0)

Have you confirmed coolant temp from something other than your steering wheel? I assume theres a discrepancy with your wheel and not your actual coolant temp.

If your fan does kick on, its reaching the HI speed fan temp on the fan switch. That means the coolant in your radiator is hot enough to activate it, which again, leads me to believe your temps are fine.

Thermostats do fail in the open position, which will cause issue getting to operating temp but, your fans are kicking on...

I'm sure the dealer would like nothing more than to charge you hundreds of dollars to replace your thermostat or even replace unnecessary parts, the fact they tested and told you everything is working, again, leads me to believe there's an issue with your wheel and not the actual coolant temp.

Confirm coolant temp another way before you start throwing parts at it.
__________________
BPC Hybrid tune TBD
Bohl Hybrids
Best e.t-12.21@111.07 (stock turbos)
Fastest trap- 12.72@114.26 (Hybrid turbos)
Best 60ft: 1.64
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST