E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > HD TV advice



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #45
scotw
Lieutenant
 
scotw's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 320D SG
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: uk

Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
If any of you chaps can get membership of Costco www.costco.co.uk they have a good range of LCD TV's with 3yr warranty included. Only prob is that you have to collect no delivery. Been a member for over 7 yrs never had problems with customer service.
I'll second that.

On the subject of HD over freeview, read this today, not good. Can't say I'm shocked that our Government wants to take the cash and waste it somewhere.....
scotw is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #46
RichardM
Major
 
Drives: F31 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Herts UK

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
If any of you chaps can get membership of Costco www.costco.co.uk they have a good range of LCD TV's with 3yr warranty included. Only prob is that you have to collect no delivery. Been a member for over 7 yrs never had problems with customer service.
And great fun I had trying to get a 42" LCD in its box into the BMW.

Costco are great if you change your mind too. I originally bought a Toshiba 42" LCD and we weren't happy with the picture when I got it home so I went back and bought a Sony and compared the two side by side at home for a week before taking the Toshiba without any problems.
RichardM is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #47
Cafe.Racer
Captain
 
Cafe.Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d Touring
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottingham, UK

Posts: 895
iTrader: (1)

I had to de-box the 37" Samsung I orded for my Dad to get it in the Herse. Mind you, I had the kids in the back seat...

Going off topic, what do you all have for surround sound? I'm thinking of getting a receiver and speakers, but so far I've managed to sneak up to £460 with a cheap(ish) set of sepakers and a few cables.

Not sure it's worth it...
__________________
Cafe.Racer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #48
330cdsport
Right Responsible
 
330cdsport's Avatar
 
Drives: AW F21 M135i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N. Ireland

Posts: 1,640
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I bought a good surround system a few years ago. All seperates from Pioneer, Monitor Audio, and Yamaha.

Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver, DV-757 DVD
Monitor Audio Speakers: S10 fronts, Sfx Rears and Slcr centre
Yamaha YST-SW800 subwoofer.

When you listen to a DTS film, SACD, or DVD-Audio thru the system, the quality is amazing.

I have recently added a Mediagate MD-350 HiDef wirelless box which upscales everything to 1080p. It has its own HDD too for playing downloaded HD movies from BitTorrent as the wireless cant hack the bandwidth.
__________________
Last: 330cd Sport - Silver Grey, 335d M Sport Coupe, F10 535d M Sport.
Current: AW F21 M135i, Coral Red, Pro Nav, Vis, HK, & Clunky Adaptive Suspension
Current: X5 XDrive 35d M Sport - Black Sapphire, lots of toys.
330cdsport is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #49
Cafe.Racer
Captain
 
Cafe.Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d Touring
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottingham, UK

Posts: 895
iTrader: (1)

Thing is, I'm spending more on a receiver than I budgeted for, just to get the connectivity I "need" plus a bit of futureproofing. I already need 3 opitcal connections with what I have now.

I'm a bit bothered about buying "cheapo" speakers that don't do the receiver justice...

I have a media center PC and that does my upscaling for me
__________________
Cafe.Racer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #50
mjh93sa
Major General
 
mjh93sa's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire

Posts: 5,078
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Surround wise I've got all the periphal components running into a H-K A/V amp that also switches the video on to a single scart to the TV. Monitor Audio S5s for the front and centre, with KEF "eggs" for the rears. I may not have Logic7 in the car, but I do have it in the house Digital links for video devices, but a thumping great pair of coax analogue connections for my tunes (Arcam CD player) as I prefer the warmer sound they give.

As 330d says, DTS sounds brilliant. Gladitator is a good one for that.
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
mjh93sa is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #51
E92Fan
Moderator
 
E92Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

Posts: 5,492
iTrader: (0)

Surround wise - I have a Rotel DTS decoder, running into six active Genelec monitors, and a B&W subwoofer. In the process of changing over to an Infocus 1080p projector - just waiting for the screen to be made now. Going for a six foot wide fixed wall screen... can't wait to watch Seven again, which IMO in DTS edition still demonstrates the totally absorbing atmosphere that a great surround system can create.
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #52
Cafe.Racer
Captain
 
Cafe.Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d Touring
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottingham, UK

Posts: 895
iTrader: (1)

Well. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend "all that money" (although by the sounds of it, you lot have got a tidy sum tied up in your kit.)

I had a thought about somehow using the Media Center and a Sound card, but the only ones I could find that had optical/digital in were still around £200 and then they only had one input, two at a push, and didn't actually do decoding.

I came across an, apparently, discontinued Creative decoder which sounded good (7.1, DTS, DTS-ES, Prologic II, Neo 6, Upmixing and stuff), nice and small and has 8 inputs (inc 3 optical, 1 coax digital) - still near £200 though.

While I was googling for info, I stumbled on a sale of one bundled with a set of 7.1 Creative Speakers from http://www.itcsales.co.uk/. For £90 + VAT

The decoder seems to be as "rare as rocking horse shit" reading on avforums and people are still looking for them, there are three of the decorders alone on ebay for between £140-£210.

A couple of good reviews, and one "excellent for the money" one written by a guy who confesses to be fussy about sound quality. Speakers not that powerful, but the room is small and I'm not going to be turning it up to 11 anyway.

Might be crap, might be alright. Seems like I can't really loose.



Edit2: Bugger, arse - a guy from ITC has just rung to say that they've dropped it and smashed it!
__________________
Cafe.Racer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #53
E92Fan
Moderator
 
E92Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

Posts: 5,492
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe.Racer View Post
Well. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend "all that money" (although by the sounds of it, you lot have got a tidy sum tied up in your kit.)

I had a thought about somehow using the Media Center and a Sound card, but the only ones I could find that had optical/digital in were still around £200 and then they only had one input, two at a push, and didn't actually do decoding.

I came across an, apparently, discontinued Creative decoder which sounded good (7.1, DTS, DTS-ES, Prologic II, Neo 6, Upmixing and stuff), nice and small and has 8 inputs (inc 3 optical, 1 coax digital) - still near £200 though.

While I was googling for info, I stumbled on a sale of one bundled with a set of 7.1 Creative Speakers from http://www.itcsales.co.uk/. For £90 + VAT

The decoder seems to be as "rare as rocking horse shit" reading on avforums and people are still looking for them, there are three of the decorders alone on ebay for between £140-£210.

A couple of good reviews, and one "excellent for the money" one written by a guy who confesses to be fussy about sound quality. Speakers not that powerful, but the room is small and I'm not going to be turning it up to 11 anyway.

Might be crap, might be alright. Seems like I can't really loose.



Edit2: Bugger, arse - a guy from ITC has just rung to say that they've dropped it and smashed it!
Get it - if it works for you, great... if it doesn't, ebay it out again and get your money back!

ah.. just read your edit... oops...
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #54
vivekk
THE Viv
 
vivekk's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SE
Join Date: May 2005
Location: the North, UK

Posts: 4,740
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Surround wise - I have a Rotel DTS decoder, running into six active Genelec monitors, and a B&W subwoofer. In the process of changing over to an Infocus 1080p projector - just waiting for the screen to be made now. Going for a six foot wide fixed wall screen... can't wait to watch Seven again, which IMO in DTS edition still demonstrates the totally absorbing atmosphere that a great surround system can create.
...and I thought you were a 'true' audiophile, Tony.

Viv
__________________
[TiAg ▪ Dakota Black ▪ Active steering ▪ Sports suspension ▪ 162s ▪ Sports seats ▪ Al trim ▪ Bi-Xenons ▪ F&R PDC NavPro ▪ Voice control ▪ Bluetooth ▪ 6CD Logic7]


vivekk is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #55
E92Fan
Moderator
 
E92Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

Posts: 5,492
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
...and I thought you were a 'true' audiophile, Tony.

Viv
And for my 2-channel I have a Naim rig with Dynaudio Contour standmounts...
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2008, 05:45 AM   #56
Cafe.Racer
Captain
 
Cafe.Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d Touring
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottingham, UK

Posts: 895
iTrader: (1)

Still waiting to hear back how badly damaged it is - they said the sub was "smashed to bits", for the money (with maybe a bit of discount) I might still have it.

If not, it'll be a Cambridge Audio 340R (unless I can find a cheaper Samsung with HDMI-CEC) and not sure what speakers, maybe the Tannoy FX5.1 to keep the cost down (good reduction at Richer Sounds)

Edit: or the Canton deal on the avfourms...
__________________

Last edited by Cafe.Racer; 01-08-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Cafe.Racer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #57
tinka
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 2.0d M SPORT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

guys,is there realy a big difference between hd ready and full hd as in 1080i/p,im happy with my sony kdlv40 on hd,im just curious to know if the difference is noticable on the full hd's.
tinka is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #58
Serjames
Colonel
 
Serjames's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Surrey - UK

Posts: 2,426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1080 is not hugely differnet to 720 to MY eyes if I'm sitting back on the sofa.

Close up and on freeze frame or using computer games etc then yes there's a difference.

But that's more to do with the quality of the scaling kit and the signal quality.

i.e. you could have a crap 1080 res vid file encoded poorly that would look worse than a top notch 720 .TS file

It's a bit horses for courses - if like me you have access to 1080p material it's a nobrainer to run full HD. But if SKY HD is all you use then 720 will be fine I'm sure for the next few years anyway.

Sony kit is good I stand firmly by it. Lots of people rate the much more expensive pioneer kit, but frankly value for money wise the SONY is better. I run a KDL40w2000 and it's superb, a little bit of light bleed which is a known problem, but to be honest my lounge has so many reflective surfaces anyway it just doesn't bother me.... I don't mind rattles bangs and creaks in my cars either though, so read into that what you will

SJ
__________________
Serjames is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #59
NFS
Major General
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 9,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
1080 is not hugely differnet to 720 to MY eyes if I'm sitting back on the sofa.

Close up and on freeze frame or using computer games etc then yes there's a difference.

But that's more to do with the quality of the scaling kit and the signal quality.

i.e. you could have a crap 1080 res vid file encoded poorly that would look worse than a top notch 720 .TS file

It's a bit horses for courses - if like me you have access to 1080p material it's a nobrainer to run full HD. But if SKY HD is all you use then 720 will be fine I'm sure for the next few years anyway.

Sony kit is good I stand firmly by it. Lots of people rate the much more expensive pioneer kit, but frankly value for money wise the SONY is better. I run a KDL40w2000 and it's superb, a little bit of light bleed which is a known problem, but to be honest my lounge has so many reflective surfaces anyway it just doesn't bother me.... I don't mind rattles bangs and creaks in my cars either though, so read into that what you will

SJ
Since most media is still SD or 720p/1080i a 1080p TV is almost a handicap as it is less forgiving of a poor quality SD signal than a 720p display.

Having said that 1080i does look good on my TV.
__________________
NFS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #60
- Paul -
Major General
 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Posts: 7,266
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinka View Post
guys,is there realy a big difference between hd ready and full hd as in 1080i/p,im happy with my sony kdlv40 on hd,im just curious to know if the difference is noticable on the full hd's.
Depends on the size of the screen you are running

If over 40" - you want 1080p - you CAN tell the difference.

If not, you'll be ok on 720P.
__________________
- Paul - is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST