E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > An Independent Bloomberg running for president?

12-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
An Independent Bloomberg running for president?

Should he do it? Would the Republicans or would the Democrats lose more votes to him? Is he electable as an independent?
scottwww is offline   United_States
      12-31-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
scottwww
Brigadier General

Here's a mug shot of the guy and one of many articles about his possibly jumping into the race for the Presidency of the United States.
Attached Images

12-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Independent but financed by republicans...
If there was no "independent" candidate in 2000 and 2004 -- Iraq would have been free (but Saddam still incharge), our economy would have been great -- i.e. W would be where he belongs -- some village in TX...
      12-31-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD

Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
If there was no "independent" candidate in 2000 and 2004 -- Iraq would have been free (but Saddam still incharge), our economy would have been great -- i.e. W would be where he belongs -- some village in TX...
      12-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
FirstClass
Brigadier General

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
I'm sorry, but Saddam in charge is freedom? Are you serious? And the economy isn't exactly in terrible shape now. You can say what you want and conjecture that things would be perfect if Bush weren't in office but it's nothing but a load of hot air. I'm starting to get tired of your factless, godless, communist bullshit doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
      12-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
I'm sorry, but Saddam in charge is freedom? Are you serious? And the economy isn't exactly in terrible shape now. You can say what you want and conjecture that things would be perfect if Bush weren't in office but it's nothing but a load of hot air. I'm starting to get tired of your factless, godless, communist bullshit doctor.
I never said Saddam was freedom -- but for many that disappeared in last 5 years -- he was...

On the other hand -- yes, the economy was OK -- it would have been if you were the president as it is cyclical. And, on a contrary, it would have gone down if you were in the office before W.

Now, what you fail to realize is that all this debt, ruined respect in the World, ruined friendships, trillions wasted for Bush's experiments and so on will catch up with us in the near future -- not in January, February or 2008...but in a few years. By then, the Texan hick will be drinking his beer on his ranch and put the blame on someone else...
      01-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
scottwww
Brigadier General

The Wallstreet Journal story:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1199...googlenews_wsj

REVIEW & OUTLOOK

President Bloomberg?
January 3, 2008; Page A12
The first Presidential nominating contests are only beginning, but already New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is stealing attention as a potential third-party candidate. We trust he's read the history of what usually happens to such candidates -- they lose, finishing essentially as spoilers.

The billionaire mayor has no shortage of cheerleaders for such a contest, including his staff, assorted consultants, and even the usually hard-headed editors at the New York Sun and New York Post. He's rich enough to get on the ballot in every state, and has been widely quoted as saying he'd spend $500 million or more if he did decide to run. That's more than enough to get his message out, if he can find one.

So far that's the rub, though presumably the Democrat turned Republican turned Independent would try to position himself as a kind of postpartisan progressive "centrist." Along those lines, this Sunday the mayor is ostentatiously attending a conference of other self-styled centrists at the University of Oklahoma. Hosted by former Democratic Senator David Boren, the session will include the likes of former Democratic Senator Sam Nunn, current Republican Senator Chuck Hagel (who famously predicted the "surge" in Iraq would be a disaster), and others who argue that the main poison in our politics is too much partisanship. With so many voters soured on Washington, there's a market for this kind of Rodney King can't-we-all-just-get-along politics.

The question is how big that market would be on Election Day, and our guess is not very. Most third-party candidates have run on some issue or cause that the main parties had ignored. Lincoln and the Republicans supplanted the Whigs in 1860 over slavery, Teddy Roosevelt promised a return to progressive Republicanism in 1912, Strom Thurmond represented Southern segregationists in 1948, and even Ross Perot had the budget deficit in 1992.

We aren't aware of any such cause or idea that Mr. Bloomberg represents. Perhaps he could run on "competence," but that's a less than thrilling call to arms. In our view, Mr. Bloomberg has been a good mayor but not a great one. His main achievements have been taking over the school system from a feckless school board and trying to reform it, to so far mixed results; building on the anticrime progress made by his predecessor, Rudy Giuliani; and breaking down the antizoning and political barriers to developing more of the city's under-used areas.

What Mayor Bloomberg hasn't done is challenge the union status quo over the unsustainable city work force and pensions, which will become a crisis for some future mayor. He has dodged this burden himself because of the revenue boom that has flowed from New York's financial industry in the wake of the Bush tax cuts. He has also been able to play the role of nonpartisan healer in part because Mr. Giuliani was willing to take on the city's liberal interest groups on taxes, welfare, crime and public order. Mr. Bloomberg has a better bedside manner than Mr. Giuliani, but it's also easier to be popular when you're not picking as many policy fights.

We also doubt the conceit that all Washington needs is a President who is a better and more ideologically flexible manager. The reason health-care and entitlement reform are so difficult is because the two main parties have such different visions of how to do it. The next President won't be able to wave those differences away, but will instead have to decide whose solutions to favor. Certainly Mr. Bloomberg won't be able to claim he has more foreign-policy experience.

It's entirely possible that a third-party President would accomplish less than a Democrat or Republican because he would have fewer allies on Capitol Hill. Both Arnold Schwarzenegger in California and Jesse Ventura in Minnesota accomplished much less than they promised as nonideological, nonpartisan Governors.

Mr. Bloomberg would also first have to get elected, and this has to be considered a very long shot. His best chance would be if the two parties nominate candidates on the ideological extremes -- say, John Edwards on the left and Mike Huckabee on the right. But even if this happens, which of the 50 states would Mr. Bloomberg be able to win to deny one of his competitors an Electoral College majority? Even if he did carry enough states to throw the election into the House of Representatives, Mr. Bloomberg would then face a majority controlled in all likelihood by Democrats.

Our own guess is that Mr. Bloomberg would cut into the support of the weaker of the two major-party candidates, making victory easier for the other. That was Mr. Perot's main legacy in 1992. After eight years out of power, Democrats are eager enough to win this year that we suspect they will unite around whoever their nominee is to get to 270 electoral votes in a three-man race. Mr. Bloomberg would end up spending $500 million to elect a Democrat he probably would vote for himself if he stayed out of the race. Of course, it is his money.
      01-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
scottwww
Brigadier General

CNN reports today that Bloomberg is spending a lot of money right now on researching whether he has a chance to win if he runs for President of the United States as an Independent.

He was a Republican. He was a Democrat. He is an Independent.
      01-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
dr335is
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
CNN reports today that Bloomberg is spending a lot of money right now on researching whether he has a chance to win if he runs for President of the United States as an Independent.

He was a Republican. He was a Democrat. He is an Independent.
55 + 42 + X = 100
X = 3
Nah, he has no chance.
He can pay me to do the research for him...
      01-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
55 + 42 + X = 100
X = 3
Nah, he has no chance.
He can pay me to do the research for him...
You should give him a bid for your services.
      01-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #11
NaTuReB0Y