E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Delivery looming - should I be concerned?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
bk8
Enlisted Member
bk8's Avatar
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Delivery looming - should I be concerned?

Place the order an age ago and only today received the call from the dealer saying they get the car in on Mon 20/03. Well it's good news but here's the bad - I've been called away on a business trip for 2 weeks and leave on Sat 18/03 so obviously won't be able to pick it up until I get back. 25% chance of being called away but was really hoping it wouldn't happen.

Well I did get a fairly good deal as the dealer wanted the car registered in March for their quota and I was OK with that when I ordered. I now need to finalise the paperwork before I leave and this includes getting the car registered and paying for it. It will also need to be insured before registering so that has to be started even before I take personal delivery.

Should I be worried with basically accepting ownership of a car that's not even at the dealer yet? What about having to leave it at the dealer until I get back?

I'm starting to have visions of one huge nightmare when I come back and find something horrible like the order was screwed up and not all the options are there, scratches or dents, no comfort access even or the dealer let people play in it and I won't even know because I can't verify the original mileage aargh!

I need some painkillers...
__________________
325 M-Sport MT SG Black leather Alu
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Kimo
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: e90 e85 e46 e31
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk8
I now need to finalise the paperwork before I leave and this includes getting the car registered and paying for it. It will also need to be insured before registering so that has to be started even before I take personal delivery.

Should I be worried with basically accepting ownership of a car that's not even at the dealer yet? What about having to leave it at the dealer until I get back?

I need some painkillers...
No . . . what you really need is a Power of Attorney.
__________________
Kimo --
His: ............2001 (e46) 330i, Jet Black
Hers:...........2006 (e90) 330i, Sapphire Black
Ours #1:....2008 (e85) Z4 3.0si, Jet Black
Ours #2:....1992 (e31) 850i, Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
eleven24
Foppa!
eleven24's Avatar
6
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (0)

The dealer already offered you a "fairly good" price on the car. They can't go back on that just because you cannot, for good reason, take delivery during a time period they prefer. YOU are the customer, and you're not exactly buying a cheap suit here. I would certainly not sign for the car without having a chance to inspect it first. If the dealer cannot respect that, as well as your schedule, then they're not worth doing business with.
__________________
330xi sapphireblack.terra.alum | steptronic | prem | sport | cold | 162.wheels | ca | pdc | idrive | sirius
[finally took delivery on 2.16.06]
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
bk8
Enlisted Member
bk8's Avatar
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I did consider getting someone else to take delivery but the only person I really trust is myself. Besides after basically studying this forum I more or less know the car inside out.

March registration was part of the agreement and it is just sheer bad luck that I won't even be in the country until April which is why they want me to do the paperwork before I go.

The guy did assure me he would check everything out etc with me when I get back and that it would be locked up in a secure compound albeit outdoors but I still have my reservations about things.

I'm even contemplating postponing my trip now!
__________________
325 M-Sport MT SG Black leather Alu
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
191
Rep
12,277
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Have you asked the dealer hold the car and assure you that it will not be driven or used as a showroom model? I would think that they would be accustomed to people not being able to pick up their cars right away.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
sdorn
Lieutenant
sdorn's Avatar
6
Rep
491
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

I would tell them that if they want you to take delivery of the car in March, they better get it there by 17/03 instead of 20/03. You are the customer. They should make things convenient for you, not the other way around.
__________________
2008 Sparkling Graphite 535i
2009 Land Rover LR2
2003 Porsche 911 Turbo (SOLD)
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Mr. BMW
Captain
Mr. BMW's Avatar
18
Rep
916
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2003 Pathfinder  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk8
I did consider getting someone else to take delivery but the only person I really trust is myself. Besides after basically studying this forum I more or less know the car inside out.

March registration was part of the agreement and it is just sheer bad luck that I won't even be in the country until April which is why they want me to do the paperwork before I go.

The guy did assure me he would check everything out etc with me when I get back and that it would be locked up in a secure compound albeit outdoors but I still have my reservations about things.

I'm even contemplating postponing my trip now!
If they will not hold if for you until you get back, I would postpone the trip. I would not pay for it until I saw it in person. You've waited this long for the car and now that you are in the final weeks why take any chances?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
MoreCowbell's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
1,639
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e92 335 Jet Black-Saddle
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Though I agree with Mr. BMW's opinions on cars...I can't agree with his opinion that you should postpone a business trip because of your car.

I'm absolutely obsessed by my gorgeous E90...but I won't let my priorities get out of whack because of it.

Maybe i'm naive, but I just can't see a dealer using a sold car for test drives/demo use.

The new car will make returning from your trip that must sweeter!!!

And Congrats!!!
__________________
1997 Z3 3.0: Retired 2006 E90 330i: Retired 2007 E92 335: Retired
2009 E70 4.8: Totaled by Drunk Bitch
2011 E70 3.5D: Current
Space Gray w Black Nevada - Loaded!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
191
Rep
12,277
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The dealer has absolutely no control over when the car will arrive. But I feel certain that they will be understanding (they have lives too) of your trip and keep the car locked up until you return. It might even make them happy because it takes the pressure off of them to rush it through prep for you. I think BMW would spank them if they used a customers ordered car for sales purposes (other than to show people what it looks like in that color or with those options, etc.).

Honestly I think it will be fine. Speak to them about it - you'll probably feel much better afterwards.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
bk8
Enlisted Member
bk8's Avatar
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Smile

I feel better? now. Wife gave verbal equivalent of slap, ordered to calm down. She spoke to our salesman who is actually quite a nice guy who I've bought from before. He assured her it would be stored securely in their locked compound and not driven with definitely no customer access and we would be able to check everything out fully when we got back. (Wife's coming with me for part of the trip.) He even offered to take photos and email them when the car arrives.

Anyway it is just a car and things can be fixed if needed. Knowing my wife she probably gave him the haranguing of a lifetime so hopefully it will turn out ok and we will have a nice coming home present.

Funny I haven't actually waited that long for the car or at least it hasn't seemed so. It's only been 6 weeks since we first visited the showroom to have a car serviced. She saw the 3 series, liked it and I decided to buy her a new one right then. I liked how she picked a manual M-Sport with just the options I would have chosen!
__________________
325 M-Sport MT SG Black leather Alu
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST