E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Underseat sub and amp plug-and-play upgrade

02-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
azwillnj
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 F30 328i xDrive

Underseat sub and amp plug-and-play upgrade

I have a 2008 328xi with the stock USA-spec sound system (non-logic) and i am not satisfied with the bass. I have searched many times and have not found all the information that i want.. so i figured i would ask.

This car is leased.. that being said, I want something that i can just plug in and go. my ultimate goal is to replace the 2 underseat subs and the amp in the trunk with something that will provide more kick.

Subs...
After much research and searching the forums i have found the SWS 8" subs to be a good option. From what i have read they seem to be pretty much a drop in replacement, other than some minor seal issues which can be resolved with a small amount of silicone.
http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm

Amp...
Now comes the amp, i have seen many different amps in my searching here, however i am not completely satisfied with anything i have seen yet. I want something that will fit in the same place as the stock amp and plug right in with no modification. The closest thing that i have found comes in the form of a Blaupunkt amp, model number THA 555 PnP. The only problem i see with this amp is that it very hard to find a place to buy it in the US, there are only 2 places listed on google. Also, if i were to get this amp, the Blaupnkt website says there is an adapter for the OEM system, however i dont know where to get one.
http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/7607792132_main.asp

My Question..
Are there any other options out there that would work better for what i want? or is the setup that i have outlined above pretty much the best that i can get?

as a side note: I know someone will eventually say something like you should just get a box and throw it in the trunk, i don't want to do that because i have heard that you need at least a 10 inch sub to be able to hear it in the cabin because the trunk is so sealed up, and i don't want to loose that much trunk space.

Thanks for the help,
Alex.

Energy Engineering-PSU-2011
      02-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
ubern00b
First Lieutenant

Drives: 06 325i

i might be wrong, so if i am, someone correct me, but the blaupunkt tha are only plug and play for non hi-fi. if your car is usa-spec, we have hi-fi by default