E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW DME code ?

01-27-2008, 01:46 PM   #23
CarveOut
Private First Class

Drives: E93 Individual

Found this 'procedure' on another forum. This is supposed to also clear the internal DME codes:
- Disconnect battery (both battery cables)
- Turn ignition on
- Bypass battery by directly connecting both battery cables to each other
- Wait for 10 minutes
- Turn ignition off
- Reconnect battery

Would this work? Seems strange to short-circuit the battery cables...
CarveOut is offline   No_Country
      01-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #24
scalbert
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarveOut View Post
Found this 'procedure' on another forum. This is supposed to also clear the internal DME codes:
- Disconnect battery (both battery cables)
- Turn ignition on
- Bypass battery by directly connecting both battery cables to each other
- Wait for 10 minutes
- Turn ignition off
- Reconnect battery

Would this work? Seems strange to short-circuit the battery cables...
I doubt that you can turn the ignition on with the battery cables disconnected. That is if the cable have been disconnected for a minute or two.
      01-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #25
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Yeah, that should sufficently work to short out your cars electronics, so yeah, bmw wont be able to read whats on it.
LOL
      01-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #26
Railgun
Major

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, Frmr E92 335i :(

Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
How can one determine whether a code exists?

For example, some recently got P16B8 (Control module self test, clutch torque monitoring minimum valve plausibility per BMW), which isn't a typical OBD-II code...or so some think.

I've read that there's a slew of alphanumeric codes that are being implemented. While some may interpret them differently, they're OBD codes nonetheless.

In this particular case, my information showed that nothing was stored, but rather pending.

Can you clarify that?

Thanks!
Railgun is offline   United Kingdom
      01-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #27
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
How can one determine whether a code exists?

For example, some recently got P16B8 (Control module self test, clutch torque monitoring minimum valve plausibility per BMW), which isn't a typical OBD-II code...or so some think.

I've read that there's a slew of alphanumeric codes that are being implemented. While some may interpret them differently, they're OBD codes nonetheless.

In this particular case, my information showed that nothing was stored, but rather pending.

Can you clarify that?

Thanks!
P signifies compliance with OBDII standards. However, P1xxx are manufacturer specific codes and are available. However, clearing with a code reader will not permanently clear it.

Pending codes are just that; the DME has seen a fault and it occurs X number of times more on a predetermined cycle (for instance, complete warm up cycles), the code will be stored and freeze frame data recorded. However, pending codes generally do not set an SES light.
      01-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #28
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel

Damn it, I hope we get a solution very soon, I only have 6000 miles before service is due
      01-28-2008, 04:14 AM   #29
CarveOut
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I doubt that you can turn the ignition on with the battery cables disconnected. That is if the cable have been disconnected for a minute or two.
I believe what this guy is saying is that one should turn the key in the position "ignition on" (E46). Of course this won't start the engine but it is supposed to use up the remaining power when you connect both cables.
      01-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #30
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
I believe what this guy is saying is that one should turn the key in the position "ignition on" (E46). Of course this won't start the engine but it is supposed to use up the remaining power when you connect both cables.
I am aware the vehicle would not start but since this is a non-mechanical ignition switch, it is doubtful much would occur, such as Acc On occurring. With the battery cables disconnected, the capacitors in the DME will only hold enough of a charge for a few minutes.

When you connect both cables you will short the system. This will deplete any remaining charge nearly instantly.

What may have worked in the past on previous models may not longer be applicable.
      01-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #31
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
I am aware the vehicle would not start but since this is a non-mechanical ignition switch, it is doubtful much would occur, such as Acc On occurring. With the battery cables disconnected, the capacitors in the DME will only hold enough of a charge for a few minutes.

When you connect both cables you will short the system. This will deplete any remaining charge nearly instantly.

What may have worked in the past on previous models may not longer be applicable.
+1 i agree, I dont belive that method will be effective, instead, may actually damage your cars electrical system.
      01-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #32
CarveOut
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown335i View Post
+1 i agree, I dont belive that method will be effective, instead, may actually damage your cars electrical system.
First, I am not an electrical engineer!

From what I read, it's been common practice and didn't damage the electrical systems. But it still might not work with modern cars.

The question is: Where are the codes stored: Volatile memory, eeprom or flash prom? From what I know volatile memory needs some power to keep the data. That could be from the car battery or a separate battery like the ones you find on computer main boards. Capacitors could also provide some charge in the short term. EEPROM and Flash Proms can not be deleted by discharging capacitors or interrupting power supplies.

Again, I am not an expert but would like to know. Maybe an EE or anybody who has a better understanding of this topic can chime in?
      01-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #33
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
The question is: Where are the codes stored: Volatile memory, eeprom or flash prom? From what I know volatile memory needs some power to keep the data. That could be from the car battery or a separate battery like the ones you find on computer main boards. Capacitors could also provide some charge in the short term. EEPROM and Flash Proms can not be deleted by discharging capacitors or interrupting power supplies.
I do not beleive damage would occur either, it just wouldn't have an affect.

The codes, as well as other data such as adaptation values, are stored in non-volatile memory. Years ago, this wasn't the case and unplugging the battery would clear everything.
      01-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #34
CarveOut
Private First Class

Quote:
I do not beleive damage would occur either, it just wouldn't have an affect.

The codes, as well as other data such as adaptation values, are stored in non-volatile memory. Years ago, this wasn't the case and unplugging the battery would clear everything.
Did some research:

The picture below is taken from a Siemens patent concerning a DME with a variety of memory banks (volatile and non-volatile) all connected via a bus system.

The interesting part is that there is also a backup memory installed which is supposed to help the manufacturer of the DME (Siemens) e.g. in case the car maker can't locate the problem and sends it to Siemens for further analysis. So, even if the memory (7x) is cleared by the SA, the history of codes will remain in the DMEs backup memory (6x). This is part of the rationale of this patent.

Now, please don't ask me if this type of memory concept is already installed in our cars and also don't ask me whether an SA could also read the backup memory. The patent is from 2000!

The picture shows the control device (1) which comprises a microprocessor (2), a non-volatile program memory (4a, 4b1, 4b2), a volatile or erasable non-volatile monitoring result memory (7; 7a, 7b), and a non-volatile writable backup memory (6a, 6b). A monitoring program routine for monitoring the controlled system (B1, B2, B3) is filed next to a control program routine in the program memory. An obtained monitoring result is stored in the monitoring result memory (7; 7a, 7b) and is copied in the backup memory (6a, 6b).
Attached Images

01-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #35
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
Did some research:

The picture below is taken from a Siemens patent concerning a DME with a variety of memory banks (volatile and non-volatile) all connected via a bus system.
Interesting find and thanks...

So, in the end, we may not be able to ever get rid of codes.
      01-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #36
CarveOut
Private First Class

Quote:
Interesting find and thanks...

So, in the end, we may not be able to ever get rid of codes.
Big Brother is watching you
      01-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #37
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel

Damn, nice find. But that sucks, I probably already filled up the memory with all the ses and limp codes iv gotten. LOL.
      02-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #38
Shih
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i

INPA is the way to go for 07 & earlier car. 08 car has different wires that can not be read.
      02-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #39
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shih View Post
INPA is the way to go for 07 & earlier car. 08 car has different wires that can not be read.
what is INPA?
      02-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #40
Scott B
Private First Class

Drives: 1M

I've got the OE BMW USB D-CAN cable and German version of the BMW diag software. If someone could help me out with an English version of the software, I could assist the SoCal community with clearing the hidden codes.
Scott B is offline   United_States
      02-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #41
chris b.
Brigadier General

Drives: zmp e90

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
any time a bmw tester is hooked up to our vehicles it sends "fasta" data, which is a log of all error codes stored in the vehicle. only way not to is to get a gt1 that isnt hooked up to bmw network and never will be because the gt1 stores fatsa and the first time it is hooked into the network itll start to send all stored files.

Brentuning Cobb AP pro tune
2010 335i zmp fbo
465whp 513tq 50% E85
chris b. is offline   United_States