E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Ordering Process and Military Sales

03-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
jimf15e
First Lieutenant

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Ordering Process and Military Sales

I'm starting the process of ordering a new X5. Yes, it's the wrong forum but nobody really posts in the X5 E70 forums and I figured my question would have the same answer regardless. Basically, I've never special ordered a car before - always bought off the lot or after searching for specific options already on a dealer's lot.

I'm in the military stationed overseas. Through BMW's military purchase program you can buy cars for a substantial discount if you qualify and special order. With the X5 and other SC, USA built cars you can pick up your car when you return to the states. The dealer I work with doesn't have a great command of the English language (unfortunately my Korean is much worse than his English). He tells me I need to place a 10% deposit upon order, then when a VIN is 'assigned' I have to pay the complete balance. Upon pick up in the US, I simply pay the sales tax and drive off. Does this sound right? It doesn't to me. Pretty sure I shouldnt' have to pay full price until actually picking up the car (I'll be paying cash).

So, anybody out there with military purchase program experience and/or insights into the normal ordering/pickup process? Thanks a lot!
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
jimf15e is offline   United_States
      03-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
335viaSTi
Colonel

Drives: LeMans Blue E90 ///M3

What they mean is you put down 10% to secure the production slot. Then you must have financing or payment to pay for the remaining balance of the car when it is completed. Then, when you pick up your car in the US you register it, pay the sales tax, etc. and you are off. We did the same thing when we bought our 335i. Ordered it in Germany, put down our down payment, financed it (thus paying the remaining balance), and then paid the sales tax when we registered it in the US. It's a great deal for us military folks. Hope that answer helps you out. Good luck and post some shots of the X5 when you get it, my wife wants to order one of those
      03-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
jimf15e
First Lieutenant

Drives: '13 E92 M3

To 335viaSTi - So just to be sure, you didn't pay the balance until the car was complete right? I think what the dealer here is saying is that I pay the balance "when a VIN is assigned"? I thought it sounded like they said when production was started, but maybe they meant when it was completed. Thanks for the reply, and I'll be happy to post pix. It'll be a while though, I still have 6 more months (woo hoo, I hit my halfway point today!) The X5 is going to the wife and I'll take the E90 - until I can convince her that we NEED an M3 to haul the kids around. Hey, it's got a backseat right?

Anybody know when a VIN is assigned?
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
jimf15e is offline   United_States
      03-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
demosthenes
Major

Drives: E90 328i 6MT

Garage List
2008 328i sedan  [0.00]
I've gone through the ordering process and I'll be picking up my car in a few days.

I put down $1000 and my dealer didn't cash my check until my car began production.

It seems to me that you shouldn't have to pay off the car in cash or with a loan until you take delivery of it. The dealer can always sell the car if you don't follow through, plus they have your deposit to offset any losses they might incur. But I agree that financing the car is a much safer way to go because you won't plunk down your cash up front.
demosthenes is offline   United_States
      03-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
335viaSTi
Colonel

Drives: LeMans Blue E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimf15e View Post
To 335viaSTi - So just to be sure, you didn't pay the balance until the car was complete right? I think what the dealer here is saying is that I pay the balance "when a VIN is assigned"? I thought it sounded like they said when production was started, but maybe they meant when it was completed. Thanks for the reply, and I'll be happy to post pix. It'll be a while though, I still have 6 more months (woo hoo, I hit my halfway point today!) The X5 is going to the wife and I'll take the E90 - until I can convince her that we NEED an M3 to haul the kids around. Hey, it's got a backseat right?

Anybody know when a VIN is assigned?
I'm pretty sure we had to have the financing secured when the VIN was assigned. I know we paid in full before we picked the car up if that helps.
      03-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
wig
Private First Class

Drives: 328I

I purchased a BMW at military sales overseas also and will take delivery some time in Mar. From my standpoint, securing payment after Vin # has been established will speed up delivery to the customer by allowing BMW to accomplish MOT inspections, tags, registration and light conversion, since I'll take delivery overseas. That way, if for some reason the loan falls through
they'll be able to sell it to another military person being reassigned back to the states verses them eating $1K in vehicle preparation for the overseas customer.

Wig
      03-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
crashandburn45
Private First Class

Drives: very fast!

Garage List
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Full funds are required when the vehicle goes into lock-down. That means that the VIN is created and you cannot make anymore changes to your order. This usually happens a week prior to starting production.
crashandburn45 is offline   United_States