E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Strut Bar DIY



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Strut Bar DIY
Published by HeelToe
03-31-2006
Strut Bar DIY

Attached are detailed instructions on installing the BMW Strut Brace part number 51 71 0 406 937. The entire process takes approximately 10 minutes once you have collected the tools below and have unwrapped all of the parts.

Tools needed:
  • Ratchet for quick removal and initial tightening of nuts.
  • Torque wrench - 35 Nm (25.8 Ft-Lbs) & 52 Nm (38.4 Ft-Lbs)
  • 11, 13, and 14 mm sockets

Step by step instructions:
  1. Remove all packaging and parts and set them out for easy access.
  2. Remove the nuts holding the factory firewall brace from the left and right spring strut tower using the 11 mm socket and ratchet.
  3. Remove the frontmost nuts from the left and right spring strut tower using the 12 mm socket and ratchet.
  4. Place dome strut bracket on left spring strut tower and hand tighten in place with the provided 14 mm bolt and the 13 mm nuts.
  5. Repeat the process on the right spring strut tower.
  6. Place the strut brace in place, center and hand tighten 13 mm nuts using the ratchet.
  7. Torque 14mm nuts to 52 Nm and all 13 mm nuts to 35 Nm.
  8. Place protective caps on 13 mm nuts.
  9. Done!!
Tutorial Tools
Attached Images
   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 Strut Brace Installation Instructions.pdf (1.30 MB, 1920 views)
  #1  
By D.D. on 03-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Nice..........Really NICE!! :rocks: :rocks: :rocks: Do you see any effects to the handling of the car? Does it cut down on the roll??? I am very interested in this mod..........
Reply With Quote
  #2  
By ksfrogman on 03-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Strut bars firm up the chassis. Sway bars reduce roll.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
By HRC on 03-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Nice Work!! I might get this later. Look out, some poeple here will attempt to rain on your parade and call this mod nothing but silly eye candy, but not me!

Danny
Reply With Quote
  #4  
By zzinco79 on 03-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Can you please give me a part number???

How much was it???

Can I get it from my dealership?? or e-bay???
Reply With Quote
  #5  
By HRC on 03-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Dude, the part number is one of the first things he listed!! Read the post man! Also, if it's a BMW North America item, any dealer can order it, or any vender can order it, including ebay, booster, blut...

Danny



Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79
Can you please give me a part number???

How much was it???

Can I get it from my dealership?? or e-bay???
Reply With Quote
  #6  
By tiga901 on 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Just got mine today.....thanks for the instructions. I was goint post pics but I cannot do anymore justice than what you have done. I will test drive tommorow. I know that the e90 already has a firm chassis but anything helps!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
By zzinco79 on 03-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
Dude, the part number is one of the first things he listed!! Read the post man! Also, if it's a BMW North America item, any dealer can order it, or any vender can order it, including ebay, booster, blut...

Danny
Don't yelling at me... Sorry
Reply With Quote
  #8  
By zzinco79 on 03-31-2006, 09:31 PM
How much is it???
Reply With Quote
  #9  
By HRC on 03-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79
Don't yelling at me... Sorry


Danny
Reply With Quote
  #10  
By EVO_S4 on 03-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79
How much is it???
A liitle over $200shipped on ebay
Reply With Quote
  #11  
By Chesmu on 03-31-2006, 10:27 PM
administrator!

add to master DIY please!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
By zzinco79 on 04-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Just got one from e-bay~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
By bavarian19 on 04-02-2006, 06:00 PM
How does it drive now? Is it a noticeable difference???
Reply With Quote
  #14  
By tiga901 on 04-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
How does it drive now? Is it a noticeable difference???
I did notice a much accurate turns especially sharp corners.....but maybe it's just me. I still think it's worth it!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
By HRC on 04-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiga901
I did notice a much accurate turns especially sharp corners.....but maybe it's just me. I still think it's worth it!
No, it's not you, it actually works! I want one!!

Danny
Reply With Quote
  #16  
By zzinco79 on 04-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
No, it's not you, it actually works! I want one!!

Danny
I prefer morristown~~
Reply With Quote
  #17  
By zzinco79 on 04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemange
Tools needed:
  • Ratchet for quick removal and initial tightening of nuts.
  • Torque wrench - 35 Nm (25.8 Ft-Lbs) & 52 Nm (38.4 Ft-Lbs)
  • 11, 13, and 14 mm sockets
35Nm?? 52Nm???

Please tell me what that is.....

looks like newton*meter...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
By HRC on 04-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79
35Nm?? 52Nm???

Please tell me what that is.....

looks like newton*meter...
It means ft. lbs. torque for us here...

Danny
Reply With Quote
  #19  
By Socom on 04-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
Nice Work!! I might get this later. Look out, some poeple here will attempt to rain on your parade and call this mod nothing but silly eye candy, but not me!

Danny

Nope..those work well. Can be a good addition for those who enjoy spirited driving.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
By zzinco79 on 04-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC
It means ft. lbs. torque for us here...

Danny
So... Just buy a torque wrench for easy way????
Reply With Quote
  #21  
By HRC on 04-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzinco79
So... Just buy a torque wrench for easy way????
You should have a torque wrench handy if you do any kind of wrenching on a car. Most bolts are torqued to a certain setting, number of pounds of force. If you over-tighten, bad things can happen, same with not tight enough.

Danny
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST