E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best suspension money can buy?

03-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Best suspension money can buy?

So I'm planning out future projects with my car. And I am planning on getting Öhlins Road & Track suspension.

Is there anything else for our cars that would better in terms of durability and performance? I don't want an extreme track only suspension. But I want performance. And I don't want to rebuild every 25k.

I'd be open to an air suspension but from the research that I've done they aren't the best for performance or durability.

Maybe an electronic one like Bilstein? But the Bilstein one is too low.

Last requirement would have to be around sports suspension height not much lower or higher.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

I see from your signature that you currently have the B8's. Do you find them inadequate? If so, in what ways?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #3
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Ohlins will be good for at least 50K between rebuilds...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:31 AM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Penske
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Kw ddc might be worth looking into, maybe not the best but pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
I see from your signature that you currently have the B8's. Do you find them inadequate? If so, in what ways?
I had the Bilstein HD paired with eibach pro-kit. And they were good but would occasionally hit the bump stops and the car would bottom out. Front left strut went bad so I replaced all the corners with B8 sports but European valved. I kept the Eibach springs. They are awesome and handle well but the springs are compressed a little at all times. So there could be a slight jiggle and can feel like the car is unsettled on the smallest road irregularities. The car is settled on bigger bumps though.

I don't believe I've hit the bump stops yet with these new shocks maybe once or twice. The car does not bottom out with summers on. It does coming out of parking lots with winters tires because of the circumference difference and soft tires. So next pair of winter tires will be thicker but I also want to bring the car up to sport suspension height.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

lol. do a m3 conversion and get this kit

http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1179
Appreciate 2
tlow982194.00
      03-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
I had the Bilstein HD paired with eibach pro-kit. And they were good but would occasionally hit the bump stops and the car would bottom out. Front left strut went bad so I replaced all the corners with B8 sports but European valved. I kept the Eibach springs. They are awesome and handle well but the springs are compressed a little at all times. So there could be a slight jiggle and can feel like the car is unsettled on the smallest road irregularities. The car is settled on bigger bumps though.

I don't believe I've hit the bump stops yet with these new shocks maybe once or twice. The car does not bottom out with summers on. It does coming out of parking lots with winters tires because of the circumference difference and soft tires. So next pair of winter tires will be thicker but I also want to bring the car up to sport suspension height.
it might be your bushings going bad. well, the stock non-m bushings were pretty bad to begin with.

instead of swapping out the shocks, you might be better off replacing the front control arms bushings and rear subframe bushings with stiffer counterparts.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #9
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post

Don't these have to be rebuilt every 20k or so miles?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it might be your bushings going bad. well, the stock non-m bushings were pretty bad to begin with.

instead of swapping out the shocks, you might be better off replacing the front control arms bushings and rear subframe bushings with stiffer counterparts.
And I don't think so but maybe. I replaced every control arm front and back and put M3 parts where they would be a direct swap in. Engine mounts are from a 335is (probably could have gotten stiffer)
And rear subframe is purple powerflex bushings(probably should of went black or solid) also my sway bar endlinks aren't adjustable which they should be which I'm waiting for them to fail or definitely change at my next suspension refresh.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #11
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Getting a shock more durable than B8s would be difficult.
Koni Yellow with a firmer spring, like Swift Spec R, might be an option for you.

Name:  koni swift kit small.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  29.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #12
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Don't these have to be rebuilt every 20k or so miles?
You said wanted the best
Appreciate 2
tlow982194.00
      03-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:

I also want to bring the car up to sport suspension height.
What you're describing happens when you shorten the spring and maintain factory spring rates. Peeps with the same setup have complained about the same issue on here multiple times in the past for that exact reason.

Get rid of the Eibachs and put the sport springs back on.

Either that or, as mentioned, put stiffer springs on and lift the vehicle back to sport height utilizing the various methods available.
Appreciate 1