E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Alarm Motion Sensor In Convertible

03-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #23
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

Hood Open Warning Light Solved!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_ver View Post
Would it be easier to take the car to an alarm place? Though, I hope you figure this out soon -- I plan to do this on my car once u have it figured out!!
Took me a while but I figured this out as well...

Options 2 & 3 above were going to be WAY to difficult to wire as the routing of 1 wire to rear wheel well would be crazy as far as time consuming an PITA to take everything apart. There is a way to do it in the wire path from the rearview mirror to the alarm siren but the wires run through the door and it is spaghetti and PITA also to take apart and locate and route wires.

I chose option 4 = INSTALLED A RELAY

You will need a 12V DC SPDT (single pole/double throw) relay available at Pep Boys and Adv. Auto Parts. (I have been unable to find the SPST relay with a normally closed circuit as they all seem to be normally open.) You will also need another Add-a-Circuit form Autozone. See the UPDATE above in the Original Post at the end for how to do this. Easy to do!! Works perfectly with no warnings or codes.

If you need to learn more about relays go to either of these web sites.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/relays.html

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 08:42 AM   #24
cas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CV

good job. NOW WE NEED A YOUTUBE VIDEO.

I would like to see these conditions

windows down top up. stick your arms into the car and touch glove box and then steering wheel ( 2 videos )

windows and top down. climb over door and lightly sit in car. throw a package in the car ( 2 videos )

i see you have a digital camera, hopefully it has video mode

I just want to see how sensitive this is
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #25
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas View Post
good job. NOW WE NEED A YOUTUBE VIDEO.

I would like to see these conditions

windows down top up. stick your arms into the car and touch glove box and then steering wheel ( 2 videos )

windows and top down. climb over door and lightly sit in car. throw a package in the car ( 2 videos )

i see you have a digital camera, hopefully it has video mode

I just want to see how sensitive this is
Uh,....let me think about that...NO.

Seriously, it is sensitive. The passenger side slightly more than the drivers because of the e-brake metal. I can't put my hand in past 6 inches in either window without alarm going off. I have it set to about 80% on both knobs. I haven't tested with top completely down yet as it has been cooler weather here and much of my trunk and car is still taken apart with all the SHIT I've been removing to get to the bottom of this hood warning light thing. It is totally configurable as to how sensitive you want. I can make it sensitive enough to go off with someone just looking in the window with cupped hands. Sometimes it goes off with HARD trunk closing and other times not. It definitely protects the interior.

I have spent enough time on this mod and my center armrest LED that I did at the same time. Wife is about to divorce me....Someone else can post vids. You'll just have to trust me on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Does the sensor screw up the Valentine 1 radar detector when the car is in motion?

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #27
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Does the sensor screw up the Valentine 1 radar detector when the car is in motion?
....How the hell should I know? I dont have V1 yet... Either way,....I dont mind helping out, but sometimes you just gotta answer somethings for your self.

Edit: it shouldn't b/c its completely off.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #28
sterns
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 SMB F83

Garage List
2020 M4 F83  [0.00]
2016 F83 M4 Vert  [0.00]
Thanks for the update.

One comment, the pdf seems to have an error, thw wiring is correct, but the relay drawing is wrong.

When the iginition is on, the coil on the relay pulls the throw closer to the coil, so from your drawing it looks like you are powering the sensor when the ignition is on, this is backwards. Terminal 87 should be closest to the coil, so you break the power to the sensor when the ignition is on.
      03-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #29
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterns View Post
Thanks for the update.

One comment, the pdf seems to have an error, thw wiring is correct, but the relay drawing is wrong.

When the iginition is on, the coil on the relay pulls the throw closer to the coil, so from your drawing it looks like you are powering the sensor when the ignition is on, this is backwards. Terminal 87 should be closest to the coil, so you break the power to the sensor when the ignition is on.
Thanks,...you may be correct. IDK. I dont think it matters. I borrowed the diagram form somewhere else. I dont know if the coils pushes or pulls the switch. It works well though.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #30
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

I got everything required for this but the relay. tried Pep boys, Kraegen... but everyone wants to know part number for it... is there a place that I can buy this online? or anyone got a part number or anything?

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 08:08 PM   #31
2007_E93
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I got everything required for this but the relay. tried Pep boys, Kraegen... but everyone wants to know part number for it... is there a place that I can buy this online? or anyone got a part number or anything?
Try amazon.com, Google search, Partsexpress.com. No particular one needed as any SPDT relay will work.

Edit: here's one...they are readily available...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=330-070
Appreciate 0