E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Are Middle-Easterns considered White?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #23
BMW F22
Major General
 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,316
iTrader: (8)

I remember this one girl was arguing that they should put all the ethnicities on the application. She was pissed because they didnt have Italian on there and she didnt want to fall under "white". Im just wondering where the heck did Americans all came from??? If they came from Europe arent they white???
BMW F22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #24
ska///235i
***** noob
 
ska///235i's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

Posts: 8,923
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I dont understand the A or B or W part....shouldn't it be Y, B, W (yellow, black, white)

Jokes aside, we should be label as which part of the world we're from rather than the color of our skin.
Example...Italian, Japanese, German, Chinese...etc ; not...White, Brown, Red, Yellow
ska///235i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #25
gilbertb11
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Well, I agree with Mark. Any labeling is pretty stupid especially those based on skin collor or physical appearance. Identifying by "where they are from" is called nationality. But again, where does that start. How far back on "where you're from" scale does one go back.
gilbertb11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #26
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

I remember one of my tutor's in college, he kind of was tan so I thought he might have been Persian or something..When I asked him, he seemed kind of offended, he was like "What, I don't look White to you?!"

but I've noticed that with people of mixed descent tend to overemphasize their "white side." They'll say "I'm half <"other race">, a quarter German, 1/5th Dutch, etc.." right down to the exact percent instead of just saying half-white. hmm, I wonder why...

BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #27
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
I remember this one girl was arguing that they should put all the ethnicities on the application. She was pissed because they didnt have Italian on there and she didnt want to fall under "white". Im just wondering where the heck did Americans all came from??? If they came from Europe arent they white???
I guess sometimes they just like to identify their country of origin. One of my friend identifies himself as "Romanian.."
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #28
tl_boy
Major
 
tl_boy's Avatar
 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (0)

I can usually tell the difference between eastern europeans, southern, and northern. Romanians can be pretty borderline sometimes, as Macedonians, Albanians, Greeks, Italians. I don't know how they are all considered "white." They are all caucasians, but so are many Middle Easterners and Indians.

Then you have the question of Aryan race-blood. Many Jews are considered white but obviously are not Aryan, they are semitic. You can spot the differences in some Jews, but so much mixing has occured its sometimes difficult. You can actually see the similarities between some jews and arabs, though the jews are usually paler skinned. I don't look at skin color, I look at features. You can have white skin but be an Arab with a hooked nose and black eyes (also found in some romans, possibly a legacy of the Etruscan heritage). Is that person white? I bet a "white person" that was a slave and worked in the hot sun for 20 years would be dark as hell (no not black, but dark).

I agree with other posters on here, the notion of white, brown and black is absurd. you should go by nationality, although in some cases, such as in India or Brazil, that doesn't mean anything with regards to how the person looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
I guess sometimes they just like to identify their country of origin. One of my friend identifies himself as "Romanian.."
tl_boy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #29
geeslice
Second Lieutenant
 
geeslice's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 283
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
2004 Audi TT  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to geeslice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmeriz3d
im middle eastern(armenian) as well and on my speeding ticket he put down WHT.

btw..does anyone know what the consequences would be for speeding 60 in 35mph zone?
I've done that before but it's up to the cop to charge it as a reckless or not. If your ticket does not say "RECKLESS" and instead says "speeding ____ in a ____" you are cool. It just costs more money because it is for every MPH you were going over the speed limit...
__________________
It's called "HAPPY" Hour for a reason.

'06 E90 325xi Sparkling Graphite, Dakota Black Leather, Dark Walnut Burl Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenons = LOVE
geeslice is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #30
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
I can usually tell the difference between eastern europeans, southern, and northern. Romanians can be pretty borderline sometimes, as Macedonians, Albanians, Greeks, Italians. I don't know how they are all considered "white." They are all caucasians, but so are many Middle Easterners and Indians.

Then you have the question of Aryan race-blood. Many Jews are considered white but obviously are not Aryan, they are semitic. You can spot the differences in some Jews, but so much mixing has occured its sometimes difficult. You can actually see the similarities between some jews and arabs, though the jews are usually paler skinned. I don't look at skin color, I look at features. You can have white skin but be an Arab with a hooked nose and black eyes (also found in some romans, possibly a legacy of the Etruscan heritage). Is that person white? I bet a "white person" that was a slave and worked in the hot sun for 20 years would be dark as hell (no not black, but dark).

I agree with other posters on here, the notion of white, brown and black is absurd. you should go by nationality, although in some cases, such as in India or Brazil, that doesn't mean anything with regards to how the person looks.
Actually, the real "Aryans" were Indo-Europeans who invaded India in the second millenium B.C. Some intermingling of races occurred, and that's why some Northern Indians tend to be lighter-skinned and have sharper features than their South Indian counterparts. The Nazis adapted the "Aryan" term to their own liking but it didn't originate with them...even the swastika is a backwards Hindu symbol.
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #31
tl_boy
Major
 
tl_boy's Avatar
 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (0)

Actually, the borders of "India" back then are not the same as contemporary borders, so the theory of an "invasion" taking place is very doubtful. "India" stretched from past Afghanistan in the West to past Myanmar (Burma) in the East. The Aryans originated somewhere between Iran and NW India from West to East, and Up to Afghanistan and somewhere in the South-Central Asian region to the North. Keep in mind that was all part of Indus/India territory (Hindu-Kush Mountains in Afghanistan is but one evidence of this). The Indus Valley civilization of the northwestern part of the subcontinent was an Aryan civilization. These peoples are the real Aryans because while Germans only rely on one evidence (pottery and earthenware discovered in the River Ode with Swastika's on them), much more evidence supports the "Aryan-ness" of people from Iran, parts of Afghanistan (those that have not been mixed with Semitic Arabian blood), and India (those that have not mixed, which many exist due to the caste system of India). Anyways, Caucasian and "white" and Aryan and "white" are not really interchangeable if you look at it from this historical point of view. Thats why I think the concept race-by-colors is baseless itself. Perhaps the concept of race is baseless too, because everything from body fat, facial/physical features, and skin color (the easiest of them all - simply melanin pigmentation), is relative to the climatic conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
Actually, the real "Aryans" were Indo-Europeans who invaded India in the second millenium B.C. Some intermingling of races occurred, and that's why some Northern Indians tend to be lighter-skinned and have sharper features than their South Indian counterparts. The Nazis adapted the "Aryan" term to their own liking but it didn't originate with them...even the swastika is a backwards Hindu symbol.
tl_boy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #32
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Koreans were the original Aryans. I read it in the Bible.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,687
iTrader: (0)

Talking about races. Anybody here following Formula 1?

Shim, you ara trivia-alive.com

Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #34
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Actually, the borders of "India" back then are not the same as contemporary borders, so the theory of an "invasion" taking place is very doubtful. "India" stretched from past Afghanistan in the West to past Myanmar (Burma) in the East. The Aryans originated somewhere between Iran and NW India from West to East, and Up to Afghanistan and somewhere in the South-Central Asian region to the North. Keep in mind that was all part of Indus/India territory (Hindu-Kush Mountains in Afghanistan is but one evidence of this). The Indus Valley civilization of the northwestern part of the subcontinent was an Aryan civilization. These peoples are the real Aryans because while Germans only rely on one evidence (pottery and earthenware discovered in the River Ode with Swastika's on them), much more evidence supports the "Aryan-ness" of people from Iran, parts of Afghanistan (those that have not been mixed with Semitic Arabian blood), and India (those that have not mixed, which many exist due to the caste system of India). Anyways, Caucasian and "white" and Aryan and "white" are not really interchangeable if you look at it from this historical point of view. Thats why I think the concept race-by-colors is baseless itself. Perhaps the concept of race is baseless too, because everything from body fat, facial/physical features, and skin color (the easiest of them all - simply melanin pigmentation), is relative to the climatic conditions.
how do you know all this? Are you Indian by any chance?
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #35
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Koreans were the original Aryans. I read it in the Bible.
Any chance you will be changing your signature any time soon? I'm at work when I open these threads sometimes! (during my breaks, of course )
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2006, 10:10 PM   #36
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood
Talking about races. Anybody here following Formula 1?

Shim, you ara trivia-alive.com

Kimi got owned in the Malaysian GP, I missed the Australian round though. I just looked up the results for it, and he got in second. I have a feeling Renault is going to win again this year.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #37
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
Any chance you will be changing your signature any time soon? I'm at work when I open these threads sometimes! (during my breaks, of course )
Actually I am, I'm getting bored of my current sig. In the meantime, you can disable sigs in your user cp.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #38
BMW786
Lieutenant
 
Drives: SGraphite90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Bay, CA

Posts: 537
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Actually I am, I'm getting bored of my current sig. In the meantime, you can disable sigs in your user cp.
I want to see people's signatures...I just don't want ppl. to think I'm looking at porn or something when they pass by..
BMW786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #39
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW786
I want to see people's signatures...I just don't want ppl. to think I'm looking at porn or something when they pass by..
Just explain to them what you're looking at then.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST