E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > horsepower envy



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #45
06330i
fresher den you
 
06330i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 x3
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: the shores, MI

Posts: 988
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90, 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to 06330i
get an m5 or m6 ull smoke him then hehe
06330i is offline   Poland
0
      04-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #46
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
 
spitfire6000's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NJ, USA

Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)

jeez ur worked up over some guy that passed you on the road? well i duno about you bud, but i have better things to concern my mind with.
spitfire6000 is offline   United_States
0
      04-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #47
wla10000
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

Sometimes I drive 65mph, sometimes 80+mph, and occasionally 100+mph, the point? I drive fast when I want to, but not to race people. If I get tail gated, I just move the right, and let the idiot pass me. I didn't buy the car to race people, I bought the car for the joy of driving a BMW.

Occasionally, for the fun of it, I tail gate the car in front of me for a while, if they yield, I speed up and pass them, if they speed up, I slow down and watch the idiot moving faster and faster away from me, and put a smile on my face.
__________________
330i Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum Auto
ZPP | ZSP | M-tech Kit | Navigation | OEM Alarm | Blackline | Power sunshade | Clearbra | PIAA LED Ring Marker
wla10000 is offline  
0
      04-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #48
dom1
Private First Class
 
dom1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Methuen, MA

Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

I got my ass beaten by a Porsche Carrera. BMW should increase the HP.
__________________
2006 330xi MB, Terra, Burl Walnut, Auto, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, SP w/18in
2002 Acura MDX - wife's ride
2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 - wife's SUV retired after 120K miles and lots of problems
1994 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl. - retired after 170K miles
dom1 is offline   United_States
0
      04-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #49
StevoSEA
Second Lieutenant
 
StevoSEA's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i(SA) TiAg/Blk ZSP 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Beach, Ca

Posts: 227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieJ
mazdaspeed6 is okay...if thats what you want. if you want a boy-racer car then id spend my money on a wrx or a evo. i know mazdaspeed6 is trying to avoid that by giving it somewhat toned-down exterior/interior. and they said it was made for the more mature crowd who wants performace...blah blah blah. but they thing about the mazdaspeed6 is that it doesnt do anything particularly well. its got 270 hp- thats okay (but the torque is good at 280 because of the FI) the handeling is again, just okay. exterior is just okay. everything is just okay. nothing to writte home about. they found a nich for people who want okay cars. its NOT a race car. its NOT a luxery sedan. its kinda of a sporty sedan...but i can think of many other cars that'll be a better buy.

and for us BMW drivers. lets get one thing straight. WE DO NOT DRIVE RACE CARS. i see these thread about racing other cars and if thats what you want to do with your car, then boy, have you bought the wrong car. our 3 is quick. its not fast. our cars is not the most luxurious car you can buy either. BUT its kinda of like the mazda, except our BMW's does EVRYTHING really well. we drive cars that are damn good driver cars and pretty much are towards the top in every catergory but we do not drive cars that excels in any one. i know its cliche, but its the whole package. anyone whose even driven a bimmer can tell you that.

the truth is our cars always performed well in real world tests because that what it was designed to do. perform in the real world. but make no mistake there are a plethora of cars that is faster than our and can outhandle our cars. so if you can beat a scion or a mazda and that makes you happy then good for you. but dont be surprised when you get outrun by soccer moms in mediocre hondas and toyotas and even SUVs.

just go back to that first day when you decided to buy a BMW. thats what its all about. theres a reason why we decided to buy a bimmer. we knew what we were getting into and as for me i never looked back. ive driven fast cars, cars that handle like go karts, luxury car ... but damn it its my 3 that puts the biggest smile on my face. our cars is the epitome of what a luxury sport sedan is. i dont think any other manufactor can/will make that statement.
PERFECTLY AND TRUTHFULLY STATED. THIS REPLY SHOULD BE THE STANDARD REPLY FOR ANY SIMILAR "BOO-HOO" POST LIKE THIS ONE!
StevoSEA is offline   United_States
0
      04-13-2006, 10:12 PM   #50
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BKsBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

Posts: 1,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieJ
mazdaspeed6 is okay...if thats what you want. if you want a boy-racer car then id spend my money on a wrx or a evo. i know mazdaspeed6 is trying to avoid that by giving it somewhat toned-down exterior/interior. and they said it was made for the more mature crowd who wants performace...blah blah blah. but they thing about the mazdaspeed6 is that it doesnt do anything particularly well. its got 270 hp- thats okay (but the torque is good at 280 because of the FI) the handeling is again, just okay. exterior is just okay. everything is just okay. nothing to writte home about. they found a nich for people who want okay cars. its NOT a race car. its NOT a luxery sedan. its kinda of a sporty sedan...but i can think of many other cars that'll be a better buy.

and for us BMW drivers. lets get one thing straight. WE DO NOT DRIVE RACE CARS. i see these thread about racing other cars and if thats what you want to do with your car, then boy, have you bought the wrong car. our 3 is quick. its not fast. our cars is not the most luxurious car you can buy either. BUT its kinda of like the mazda, except our BMW's does EVRYTHING really well. we drive cars that are damn good driver cars and pretty much are towards the top in every catergory but we do not drive cars that excels in any one. i know its cliche, but its the whole package. anyone whose even driven a bimmer can tell you that.

the truth is our cars always performed well in real world tests because that what it was designed to do. perform in the real world. but make no mistake there are a plethora of cars that is faster than our and can outhandle our cars. so if you can beat a scion or a mazda and that makes you happy then good for you. but dont be surprised when you get outrun by soccer moms in mediocre hondas and toyotas and even SUVs.

just go back to that first day when you decided to buy a BMW. thats what its all about. theres a reason why we decided to buy a bimmer. we knew what we were getting into and as for me i never looked back. ive driven fast cars, cars that handle like go karts, luxury car ... but damn it its my 3 that puts the biggest smile on my face. our cars is the epitome of what a luxury sport sedan is. i dont think any other manufactor can/will make that statement.
That's a cop out response. BMWs are drivers cars, yes, and they are SPORTY driver's cars. They are not JUST great handling cars they represent the WHOLE package. If I just want a car that handles really well I can buy a Mazda Miata or a Honda Civic.

I bought my Bimmer because it handles well AND it's sporty. Straight line perfromance isn't everything but when I throw down 45+ G's on THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE I'll be damned if I expect to get smoked by a soccer mom in a Carolla.
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
BKsBimmer is offline  
0
      04-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #51
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

a honda civic corners well???????????????????????????????

nice front drive understeer!!
ward is offline  
0
      04-13-2006, 11:11 PM   #52
325er
Banned
 
325er's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i Jet Blk
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

I'm sitting here reading all THREE pages of posts, and I have to say that every post makes sense. You all have good points but I have to wonder, why does this topic touch such a nerve? It seems that everyone here is a little too sensitive about BMW and HP. This includes those of you that have posted those "sensible" remarks about how "it doesn't matter". If you are so secure why are you even posting anything? Why does one guy who got passed by a Mazda in conditions NONE OF US are privy to make a post, and it sets off three pages of jib jab?

Just Wondering
325er is offline  
0
      04-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #53
Ethirtynine
Lieutenant
 
Ethirtynine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colorado

Posts: 223
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Ethirtynine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
a honda civic corners well???????????????????????????????

nice front drive understeer!!
Sorry to tell you, but the Civic Si could probably outhandle your car
__________________
Retired: 2006 E90 330i
Retired: 1990 E30 M3
Ethirtynine is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 01:36 AM   #54
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
Sorry to tell you, but the Civic Si could probably outhandle your car
Civics are nice cars (I should know, I have a 95 integra gs-r), but just what makes you think it will outhandle a 3 series?
__________________
2006 330i Jet Black | Beige Leather | Sport Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Park Distance Control | Fold Down Seats with Ski Bag | Power Rear Sunshade
KungFuJoe is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 01:37 AM   #55
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
I feel your pain bro. Get ready to be smoked by the likes of Camrys and Carollas ... Toyota just fitted the new ones with 268 horses. I love the handlind of my Bimmer but it's just plain humiliating to get dusted by a Camry.
This is a joke right? I'm assuming sarcasm or just straight idiocy.
__________________
2006 330i Jet Black | Beige Leather | Sport Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Park Distance Control | Fold Down Seats with Ski Bag | Power Rear Sunshade
KungFuJoe is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 01:45 AM   #56
Dizzy330i
Private
 
Dizzy330i's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Miami, FL USA

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
Sorry to tell you, but the Civic Si could probably outhandle your car
What is this about? 2006-7 Civic Si stock gets .85g on the skidpad, which is pretty good. The e90 stock gets .89.

I'm not going to even touch FWD or RWD... and the understeer factor.

I don't see a need for an apology.
__________________
2006 330i SG/Terra ZPP Step OEM Spoiler...and Blacklines!!
Dizzy330i is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 01:57 AM   #57
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BKsBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

Posts: 1,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
This is a joke right? I'm assuming sarcasm or just straight idiocy.
No joke buddy. Read and weep. The new Camry has more HP than your E90.

2007 Camry engines:

2.4-liter 4 cylinder VVTi, twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder. 158 hp at 6,000 rpm, 161 lb-ft torque.
3.5-liter V6, dual VVTi, twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder. 268 hp at 6,200 rpm, 248 lb-ft at 4,700 rpm
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
BKsBimmer is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 02:02 AM   #58
Ethirtynine
Lieutenant
 
Ethirtynine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colorado

Posts: 223
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Ethirtynine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy330i
What is this about? 2006-7 Civic Si stock gets .85g on the skidpad, which is pretty good. The e90 stock gets .89.

I'm not going to even touch FWD or RWD... and the understeer factor.

I don't see a need for an apology.
You're a typical BMW enthusiast that thinks your car could outhandle everything on the street. Please, let's not magazine race. I said the Civic could probably, not will, probably outhandle a 3-series. You make it seem like the Civic doesnt even have a chance. Only one way to find out
__________________
Retired: 2006 E90 330i
Retired: 1990 E30 M3
Ethirtynine is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 02:06 AM   #59
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
No joke buddy. Read and weep. The new Camry has more HP than your E90.

2007 Camry engines:

2.4-liter 4 cylinder VVTi, twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder. 158 hp at 6,000 rpm, 161 lb-ft torque.
3.5-liter V6, dual VVTi, twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder. 268 hp at 6,200 rpm, 248 lb-ft at 4,700 rpm
No...I KNOW the new camry has more HP. What I meant was...you must be joking if you think anyone actually cares.
__________________
2006 330i Jet Black | Beige Leather | Sport Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Park Distance Control | Fold Down Seats with Ski Bag | Power Rear Sunshade
KungFuJoe is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 02:08 AM   #60
KungFuJoe
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
You're a typical BMW enthusiast that thinks your car could outhandle everything on the street. Please, let's not magazine race. I said the Civic could probably, not will, probably outhandle a 3-series. You make it seem like the Civic doesnt even have a chance. Only one way to find out
No one said anything about outhandling EVERYTHING...but a FWD Civic? Let's give the 3 series a little more credit than that.
__________________
2006 330i Jet Black | Beige Leather | Sport Package | Premium Package | Steptronic | Park Distance Control | Fold Down Seats with Ski Bag | Power Rear Sunshade
KungFuJoe is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 02:30 AM   #61
bos
Private
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Jose

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
No joke buddy. Read and weep.


Dramatic ever?
bos is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 02:37 AM   #62
BiggieJ
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335 ZSPZPPOPP
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SoCal

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325er
I'm sitting here reading all THREE pages of posts, and I have to say that every post makes sense. You all have good points but I have to wonder, why does this topic touch such a nerve? It seems that everyone here is a little too sensitive about BMW and HP. This includes those of you that have posted those "sensible" remarks about how "it doesn't matter". If you are so secure why are you even posting anything? Why does one guy who got passed by a Mazda in conditions NONE OF US are privy to make a post, and it sets off three pages of jib jab?

Just Wondering
we post "jib jab" for the same reason you post your "wondering"

because its entertaining. i dont think any of us are losing sleep over this. its just fun to talk about cars.
BiggieJ is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 02:45 AM   #63
bos
Private
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Jose

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325er
I'm sitting here reading all THREE pages of posts, and I have to say that every post makes sense. You all have good points but I have to wonder, why does this topic touch such a nerve? It seems that everyone here is a little too sensitive about BMW and HP. This includes those of you that have posted those "sensible" remarks about how "it doesn't matter". If you are so secure why are you even posting anything? Why does one guy who got passed by a Mazda in conditions NONE OF US are privy to make a post, and it sets off three pages of jib jab?

Just Wondering
Eh, well, BMW prides itself on building sporty automobiles. They're doing great in handling, but why so far behind in engine performance? First nissan, then acura and toyota build higher-hp machines. Why did it take until the e90 (later) to be competitive power-wise with the altima and G35 and TL? And why still lagging behind? Shouldn't BMW have been the first to cross 250hp and now 300hp in a production small sedan? And not in a limited-production "M" model.

BMW still has the most balanced package, but HP is their primary weakness today. HP, though, is one of the areas where you would NOT expect a weakness to be.
bos is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #64
TENCHI
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to TENCHI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
Sorry to tell you, but the Civic Si could probably outhandle your car

no it can't
TENCHI is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #65
TENCHI
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to TENCHI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer
No joke buddy. Read and weep. The new Camry has more HP than your E90.

2007 Camry engines:

2.4-liter 4 cylinder VVTi, twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder. 158 hp at 6,000 rpm, 161 lb-ft torque.
3.5-liter V6, dual VVTi, twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder. 268 hp at 6,200 rpm, 248 lb-ft at 4,700 rpm

more HP doesn't necessarily mean speed.
TENCHI is offline  
0
      04-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #66
TENCHI
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to TENCHI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bos
Eh, well, BMW prides itself on building sporty automobiles. They're doing great in handling, but why so far behind in engine performance? First nissan, then acura and toyota build higher-hp machines. Why did it take until the e90 (later) to be competitive power-wise with the altima and G35 and TL? And why still lagging behind? Shouldn't BMW have been the first to cross 250hp and now 300hp in a production small sedan? And not in a limited-production "M" model.

BMW still has the most balanced package, but HP is their primary weakness today. HP, though, is one of the areas where you would NOT expect a weakness to be.


I agree that BMWs (especially the 3 series) are made to be sporty. If y'all bought one because you wanted something luxurious and comfortable to drive, then you need to go trade it in for a Benz or Audi.


And increase in HP doesn't necessarily mean faster or better performing. Look at the G35. 298hp. 37hp less than the M3 but who do you think is gonna win a race between those 2? The increase from 265 to 298 didn't help the G much either against the e46 ZHP. With 235 hp the ZHP still out performs the G35s 298.


BMW non-Ms in my opinion are balanced out very well in terms of performance. They are not meant to be race cars, but sure can meet the challenge when demanded.

oh and yes, there is a BMW coming out that surpasses the 250hp mark without the M badge....the turbo


I am starting to slowly realize that this forum is not about BMW enthusiasts, but BMW owners.
TENCHI is offline  
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST