E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Touch-up paint

03-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
BMW Touch-up paint

I got stuck into cleaning the car over the weekend (first chance i got in months) and discovered about 10 new stonechips on the bonnet.

When I used my new touch-up paint kit to sort them out I noticed that the paint in the kit was considerably darker than the car's colour. I had given the little bottle a good shake beforehand so it cant have been the mixing. It was so bad that I actually had to use white spirits to remove the newly applied paint - as when it was nearly dry, the filled chips looked worse than in their untreated state. WTF?
I also checked the drivers B pillar paint code to make sure that the car was actually Sparkling Graphite!! I was really starting to wonder what the hell colour the car was.

Has anyone else noticed their touch-up kit being too light/dark?

In the end I had to mix a little Silver Grey (kit from my old car) into the Sparkling Graphite to make it the same colour as the car - and thankfully the end result turned out well.

I then finished the day off with giving her a quick coat of wax.

Anyway - some pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
threethirty
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006

Car looks beautiful mate. I have a couple of stone chips too, but even with good colour matching I always think touched up chips look terrible.

Rather like picking a scab - it always looks worse afterwards!

I prefer to leave them untreated. If it really annoys me I'll use chipsaway.
      03-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirty View Post
Car looks beautiful mate. I have a couple of stone chips too, but even with good colour matching I always think touched up chips look terrible.

Rather like picking a scab - it always looks worse afterwards!

I prefer to leave them untreated. If it really annoys me I'll use chipsaway.
Thanks threethirty.
I have to agree with you on the scab analogy - - but I always try to fill in stonechips as quickly as possible so that they dont rust.

I will probably wait until I get a few more and then use some sort of smart repair service to do it properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
In the 1st photo, the 'shine' is 'awesome'
Have you spoken to the dealer/BMW about the apparent paint difference ?
      04-01-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
I bought a Le Mans blue touch up from the dealer, the match wasn't that good, then to be fair pearl paint from a touch up is never going to catch the light the same as when it's sparyed on, I use a cocktail stick to apply mine over three coats.

Oh and your car looks great, it's a credit to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Great car 330cd. It looks stunning!

Carlos
      04-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
NeoJames
Rep

Drives: car

I had a local "chip filler" come out to fix some of the stone chips on my bonnet and he was telling me BMW's paint isn't particularly accurate. He looked up the reference for my Le Mans blue and using his laptop mixed me a bottle to keep - his job was fantastic and the bottle I have is almost spot on.

Unfortunately it's very difficult (if not impossible) to completely get rid of stone chips because it's not possible to replace the clearcoat where the chip is.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Bodyshop Issue - Powdery Coating?

Guys,

I have had my car into a bodyshop - some twat openend a door into mine and put a dent / scuff right on the door crease at work and didn't own up. Anyway work have been kind enough to foot the bill so I got it booked in at bodyshop work useand got a few other scratches done too.

After picking the car up I have noticed a very fine powdery grainy coating on the windscreen almost like flour - you can here it roughing the wiper blades. I took may car to a jet wash and tried to shift the coating but it's still there although not as bad.

I am concerned it's going to effect the paintwork as I can feel it on the bonnet too. I does come off with a bit of elbow grease but think it's in the wax.

Any ideas what it is and how I will get rid of it without scratching the paintwork.

PhilR

Last edited by PhilR; 04-02-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Guys,

I have had my car into a bodyshop - some twat openend a door into mine and put a dent / scuff right on the door crease at work and didn't own up. Anyway work have been kind enough to foot the bill so I got it booked in at bodyshop work useand got a few other scratches done too.

After picking the car up I have noticed a very fine powdery grainy coating on the windscreen almost like flour - you can here it roughing the wiper blades. I took may car to a jet wash and tried to shift the coating but it's still there although not as bad.

I am concerned it's going to effect the paintwork as I can feel it on the bonnet too. I does come off with a bit of elbow grease but think it's in the wax.

Any ideas what it is and how I will get rid of it without scratching the paintwork.

PhilR
Detailing clay should take care of it for you - both paint windows...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Cheers I335

Will give it a go this weekend when I wash the car

I have rang the bodyshops and they offered to remove the overspray but I fear they will use thinners or chemicals to remove it quickly.
Appreciate 0