E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB2 install and ECU box

04-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
nismodao

Drives: e90 335

JB2 install and ECU box

I installed the JB2 yesterday and it makes a huge difference--best bang for the buck out there. I noticed that when I reinstalled the cover for the ECU box that slider side facing the engine had a little give and the other side which had no give at all. Not enough so that you could lift the cover while locked but one side definatley had more give. Being that the cover protects the ECU from mositure I'm concerned that this "give" on one side will leave the ECU vulnerable. When I reinstalled the cover the front and back clips clicked into place as well as both sliders. Any thoughts, I'm parnoid enough to remove the cowl and hvac filter to redo the cover.

Thanks
      04-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Tuned335i
Major

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodao View Post
I noticed that when I reinstalled the cover for the ECU box that slider side facing the engine had a little give and the other side which had no give at all. Not enough so that you could lift the cover while locked but one side definatley had more give. Being that the cover protects the ECU from mositure I'm concerned that this "give" on one side will leave the ECU vulnerable. When I reinstalled the cover the front and back clips clicked into place as well as both sliders. Any thoughts, I'm parnoid enough to remove the cowl and hvac filter to redo the cover.

Thanks
Sounds to me like it wasn't locked down correctly. Make sure the cover is fully seated all the way around and while pressing down on the cover, engage the slider. It should lock and you'll know that it's correct when it feels secure. That cover is supposed to be sealed onto the ECU box, so if you're experiencing "give" something's not lined up correctly...

Good luck!!
      04-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
RM-6302
Private

Drives: 2013 135i

Garage List
2013 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I've opened the ECU twice. Once to install JB2 and again to install the "H" pill! Each time I had a little difficulty with the ECU cover. If you got both sliders to close, you should be OK. But, if you can't sleep at night, open her back up and double check. It can't hurt.
RM-6302 is offline   Germany
      04-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Getting that cover back on is one of the biggest PITA of the entire install. If it moves its not on correctly. It probably doesn't matter but if your feeling nervous go do it again.