E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Portable Navigation Help

04-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
USAF BMW
Private First Class

Drives: hopefully...

Portable Navigation Help

What is the best portable Car Navigation unit currently available. Which one is the best value. What should i look for in a portable car navigation unit?
USAF BMW is offline   United_States
      04-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #2
aphall
Captain

Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I'm not too qualified to speak on this subject, but I did recently purchase a Garmin i3. I went to this site to do my research: http://gpsinformation.net/

I think if you're looking for a very basic gps unit, the i3 does the job. When I say basic, this will get you there from point A to point B, even if you turn off course. It's tiny too.. about the size of a baseball and though it may make it hard to read due to the small screen, it talks, so you don't even have to look. For the price point and the bells and whistles, I thought it was a great value. I got mine for $284 on Amazon. Other units have many more bells and whistles, like... they save your travel data (i.e., how far you drove, how long you drove from point A to point B, etc.). It all depends on what you're looking for.

aphall is offline   United_States
      04-20-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
homerfromathens
Private

Drives: saab convertible

garmin nuvi 360 or tomtom 910.

the last one has a good ipod integration, too.
both of them connect also with bluetooth to your phone.
homerfromathens is offline   Greece
      04-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Kimo
First Lieutenant

Drives: e90 e85 e46 e31

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF BMW
What is the best portable Car Navigation unit currently available. Which one is the best value. What should i look for in a portable car navigation unit?
Search these forums for "Garmin C330".
Ours #1:....2008 (e85) Z4 3.0si, Jet Black
Ours #2:....1992 (e31) 850i, Jet Black
      04-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles

Drives: 2006 330i

USAF:

I bought the Magellan RoadMate 800 at Sharper Image in January. It was $1,000. Now, it is being sold for $700.

I am really thrilled with it. I did an opinion on EPINIONS.COM.

I ordered the Nav on the new 330, and from all I've read, I am going to really miss the Magellan. It is SO easy to use and works just great. And, it has a 20 GB Hard Drive, so the entire US is on it and it also includes all of Europe (although you have to pay a lot to unlock that info).

Its database is so big that I put my name in it and I showed up at my office address. That's pretty amazing.

The other thing is that the 800 has a rechargeable lithium battery. So, you don't HAVE to plug it in if you use it no more than about 2 hours. That's really great because most units require you to plug them into a cigarette lighter all the time. Also, being on battery allows you to take the unit into the house and program it and set up map trips, etc. It's a lot easier than doing in a car.

So, if you have any questions, just let me know.

With that 30% drop in price, you just can't go wrong with the 800. Oh, yeh, and it attaches really great with its suction cup mount. It's VERY strong and holds really great. I know I sound like a commercial, but I am so happy with the Magellan unit, I can't believe it.

My roommate borrowed it for a trip to San Jose and another one to San Diego and he said it was perfect.

Hope this helps.

Larry in L.A.