E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > 24 hour test drive in DC area?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
 
Drives: Three-Three-Five
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)

24 hour test drive in DC area?

I'm moving increasingly close to the BMW purchase, but am still having some 335 v 328 questions. I love the 335, but am left wondering if I really need that extra power, or if the 328 is good-n-plenty for my driving. But I'm not looking to turn this into a 335v328 thread.

I was considering another car pretty carefully, and the dealer let me do a 24 hour test drive - was able to put up to 100 miles on it this past weekend. Great decision, because it basically ruled out the car, it didn't do it for me.

Do any BMW dealers in the DC area do something like this? I'd like to try out a 328 for more than the typical test drive, so I can use it in my daily life and really see how it feels on the roads I drive regularly (and my favorite twisty road inside the Beltway). I realize it is a long-shot, but figured I'd see if anyone knows. Otherwise I'll just start calling around.
MikeMidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Spool
******
 
Spool's Avatar
 
Drives: A few
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (24)

I don't think any dealership around here let you keep it over night, i've heard of Mitsu dealers doing that with Evos but never a BMW...



Get the 335i, you get the 328 you are going to regret and lose money later on.
__________________


MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Spool is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
iatacs19
Major General
 
iatacs19's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 5,206
iTrader: (6)

VOB will let you take it home for the night. Call them.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.


BMWCCA Referral
iatacs19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
 
Drives: Three-Three-Five
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
VOB will let you take it home for the night. Call them.
Thanks - hadn't gotten to them yet, will give them a call.
MikeMidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
pseto
Major General
 
pseto's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, MD

Posts: 6,370
iTrader: (4)

When calling around to various dealerships, try talking to their internet sales manager. they usually can get the best prices.

also, go for the 335.
__________________
Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA), President & Social Chairman

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
 
Drives: Three-Three-Five
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
When calling around to various dealerships, try talking to their internet sales manager. they usually can get the best prices.

also, go for the 335.
Yeah, definitely will work thru the Internet guys, rather than have to haggle back and forth in the showroom.

The 335 is the preference. There are two questions. First, the more I read these boards, the more I learn about options that I didn't think I needed - that I feel like I do want now. 6FL is a great example. So the price keeps going up and up and up. At a certain point, I do have a ceiling. Second is that I will hope to have the car for many years - not just a four years and trade it in type of thing - and I'm slightly wary of the twin turbos and how that will affect long-term maintenance once the warranty runs out. Especially since it's not like most BMW mechanics (I'm thinking independent shops, not stealerships) will have much familiarity with them - though that'll change after four years, I guess.
MikeMidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
e90phan
Colonel
 
e90phan's Avatar
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in your rear view mirror

Posts: 2,858
iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMidd View Post
...the more I read these boards, the more I learn about options that I didn't think I needed - that I feel like I do want now.
Options are just the beginning; next is mods.

I had high hopes of keeping my e90 stock...that went down the pooper after reading e90post
__________________
e90phan is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
iatacs19
Major General
 
iatacs19's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 5,206
iTrader: (6)

if you are looking for reliability BMW is the wrong brand.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.


BMWCCA Referral
iatacs19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Spool
******
 
Spool's Avatar
 
Drives: A few
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
if you are looking for reliability BMW is the wrong brand.

+1


If you want reliability


__________________


MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Spool is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
pseto
Major General
 
pseto's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, MD

Posts: 6,370
iTrader: (4)

i've had 4 BMWs (and going on 5 soon) and I wouldnt say any of them had problems with reliability. Some electrical issues here and there and a few items replaced under warranty, but luckily with these boards, you'll know of all the problems upfront.

As long as you keep up with maintenence, the car will last well over 100k miles. You get 4 years to have the dealership fix any problems you have anyways. Lexus is reliable, BUT they don't handle as well as BMWs.

I agree that the options will inflate the price, but there are plenty of us here, if you want our opinions. 6FL is mandatory for me since I only use my iPod in my car.
__________________
Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA), President & Social Chairman

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
BK
Smiling politely
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 7,908
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
+1 on "no you won't find a 24 hr test drive for BMW around here"

+1 on "if you're on the fence, just get the 335i"

FWIW, I was concerned about BMW reliability. The 4/50K warranty and maintenance eased my concerns. Now that I've had one for about 2 years, it seems as reliable as any car I've ever owned -- and I've owned my share of Hondas and Toyotas.
__________________

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
 
Drives: Three-Three-Five
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, the reliability thing is the bigger-picture question.

Broadly speaking, I know that the car will require a bit more long-term investment than a Lexus/Acura. BMWs require TLC and when things break, it's not cheap. But it's just a much better driving experience. I'm willing to pay a bit more for that, in terms of keeping the car operating well, as opposed to having a very "nice," functional car that doesn't make my pulse race. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself today.
MikeMidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Spool
******
 
Spool's Avatar
 
Drives: A few
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro

Posts: 6,167
iTrader: (24)

Find a used CPO 335i, there are tons for sale right now
__________________


MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Spool is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
 
Drives: Three-Three-Five
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
+1 on "no you won't find a 24 hr test drive for BMW around here"

+1 on "if you're on the fence, just get the 335i"

FWIW, I was concerned about BMW reliability. The 4/50K warranty and maintenance eased my concerns. Now that I've had one for about 2 years, it seems as reliable as any car I've ever owned -- and I've owned my share of Hondas and Toyotas.
I'm somewhat convinced that it is all hit-or-miss.
So I figure, if I have to fight with fuel pumps and some electrical glitches once in a while, at least I'm doing it with a car that makes me happy to drive it.

Last edited by MikeMidd; 06-04-2008 at 12:19 PM.
MikeMidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
pseto
Major General
 
pseto's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP, M Roadster, X5 4.4
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Columbia, MD

Posts: 6,370
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMidd View Post
So I figure, if I have to fight with fuel pumps and some electrical glitches once in a while, at least I'm doing it with a car that makes me happy to drive it.
If you're going buying new, then fuel pump shouldnt be an issue. I thought that was an early model issue and havent heard many problems once the switch to the new vendor. My fuel pump went out last year, but my production was 10/06.

Plus, don't believe everything you read on these boards b/c people will always be willing to tell you only the bad things that happen. Its definitely hit-or-miss with any car, but I doubt you'll find many people here who will say they regret buying their 335.
__________________
Paul Seto - BMW Car Club of America
National Capital Chapter (MD/DC/NoVA), President & Social Chairman

Become a BMW CCA member & reference my member# 339225
Join our NCC Facebook Page
pseto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
 
Drives: Three-Three-Five
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)

FYI in case anyone else ever searches - definitely no 24 hour test drive at VOB. I think he laughed out loud at me over the phone. A guy can dream, can't I?
MikeMidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
theDude
First Lieutenant
 
theDude's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 331
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMidd View Post
Yeah, definitely will work thru the Internet guys, rather than have to haggle back and forth in the showroom.

The 335 is the preference. There are two questions. First, the more I read these boards, the more I learn about options that I didn't think I needed - that I feel like I do want now. 6FL is a great example. So the price keeps going up and up and up. At a certain point, I do have a ceiling. Second is that I will hope to have the car for many years - not just a four years and trade it in type of thing - and I'm slightly wary of the twin turbos and how that will affect long-term maintenance once the warranty runs out. Especially since it's not like most BMW mechanics (I'm thinking independent shops, not stealerships) will have much familiarity with them - though that'll change after four years, I guess.
I had the same concerns you do regarding the warranty and reliability of the twin turbos/engine/transmission. Since I, also, planned on keeping the car for more than 4 years, I decided to get the extended mechanical and maintenance warranties. You may want to consider skipping an option or two, if buying the extended warranty gives you more peace of mind.

The mechanical warranty ran me $2500, and is 7 years 100k, fyi...
theDude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
MikeMidd
Thrillin' and billin'
 
Drives: Three-Three-Five
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDude View Post
I had the same concerns you do regarding the warranty and reliability of the twin turbos/engine/transmission. Since I, also, planned on keeping the car for more than 4 years, I decided to get the extended mechanical and maintenance warranties. You may want to consider skipping an option or two, if buying the extended warranty gives you more peace of mind.

The mechanical warranty ran me $2500, and is 7 years 100k, fyi...
If I remember correctly, the mechanical warranty can be purchased after the initial purchase, right? As in, could be bought at any point before the original warrany runs out?
MikeMidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2008, 10:10 PM   #19
theDude
First Lieutenant
 
theDude's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 331
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMidd View Post
If I remember correctly, the mechanical warranty can be purchased after the initial purchase, right? As in, could be bought at any point before the original warrany runs out?
Yeah think so...in hindsight I probably should have waited, but with my luck I'd have forgotten to get it.

There is also wiggle room on the price if you negotiate. I waited until the lady filled out most of the paperwork with warranty priced for 6yrs/100k, then "changed my mind" and asked for a bump to 7yrs/100k. She was lazy and gave it to me for the same price, so that she wouldn't have to fill the contract out again.
theDude is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #20
ettil
ugh
 
ettil's Avatar
 
Drives: broken 328ix
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NoVA

Posts: 1,083
iTrader: (0)

Just an FYI there's a e90 325 available from the Tenleytown ZipCar. Could be a good way just see if you like the car over more than 5 miles.
__________________
ettil is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #21
dizzy
New Member
 
dizzy's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 e90 335i premium/sport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rockville MD & Rehoboth Beach DE

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

if you drive mazda 6 now, you'll love the 335! It will feel half as heavy and twice as fast.
dizzy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST