E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW e92 headlight help

06-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #1
Amir1022
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

BMW e92 headlight help

Hi so I just recently got a 2007 bmw 328xi and have been having an issue with the right passenger side headlight. I have the hid adaptive ones. My left driver side headlight works fine, but the. On the passenger the side everything works except the actual headlight, so the halos work and the indicator. I had pulled the headlight and tested it on the driver side and on that side everything works fine on the headlight, so I’m thinking the wiring harness that actually plugs into the headlight from the car is messed up someway, but I don’t know how to go about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir1022 View Post
Hi so I just recently got a 2007 bmw 328xi and have been having an issue with the right passenger side headlight. I have the hid adaptive ones. My left driver side headlight works fine, but the. On the passenger the side everything works except the actual headlight, so the halos work and the indicator. I had pulled the headlight and tested it on the driver side and on that side everything works fine on the headlight, so I’m thinking the wiring harness that actually plugs into the headlight from the car is messed up someway, but I don’t know how to go about it.
Why did you pull and test the driver side headlight when it’s your passenger side that isn’t working...?

Could be a wiring issue, could be a ballast issue, could be a burnt-out bulb. No bulb-out warning on the dash, correct?

As you say, the wiring harness would be a good place to start looking. I’d start with a visual inspection and move onto testing with a multimeter. I’d specifically check the harness that plugs into the ballast as it sounds like your issue concerns only the HID component of headlight; avoid the bulb side.

It also goes without saying that if there’s any chance it could be a burnt out bulb, swap your p/s and d/s bulbs (or use a known-good one). I’m sure others who have had these issues might have a more specific test plan.