E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > SA WON'T UPDATE TO CIP20

02-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #23
Yobyot
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: MY12 F30 ZSL

Got CIP 20, but no MP3

My story is that I had to give the dealer a printout of both the SIB and an email from BMW NA saying that the update was available.

So, they did the update (along with rework from botched repairs in December) a week ago. But no MP3. So, it's back one more time tomorrow.

Interestingly, they repair order does explicilty say "retrofitted" about the MP3 functionality. I know e90fleet was specific about this in his posts.

So, I am worried that these guys either did it and it doesn't work in my car or, more probably, the repair order language is not what they did. I suspect the latter because I had them update the programming to CIP 19 to get RDS and the repair order says "RDS not available in this car." Of course, it worked.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 10:26 AM   #24
gilbertb11
Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 535i

AW330I - I believe somewhere on this site, there have been people with I-Drive that are able to reach a particular screen, showing the current software being used, by doing a series of turns and clicks with their I-Drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #25
Yobyot
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: MY12 F30 ZSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot
My story is that I had to give the dealer a printout of both the SIB and an email from BMW NA saying that the update was available.

So, they did the update (along with rework from botched repairs in December) a week ago. But no MP3. So, it's back one more time tomorrow.

Interestingly, they repair order does explicilty say "retrofitted" about the MP3 functionality. I know e90fleet was specific about this in his posts.

So, I am worried that these guys either did it and it doesn't work in my car or, more probably, the repair order language is not what they did. I suspect the latter because I had them update the programming to CIP 19 to get RDS and the repair order says "RDS not available in this car." Of course, it worked.

Update: success (of a sort).

Took the car in yesterday along with a copy of this thread and three MP3 CDs. They had the car for two hours and when I got it back, MP3 CDs play. (But I have the problem of truncated file names).

The reason that I think it's only a partial success is the RO said simply "confirmed customers' MP3 CD's play."

In short, even though I tested the CDs in the morning before I dropped off the car and they didn't play, the dealer is making it sound like I was the problem.

They needed a lot of help to get this done: a copy of the SIB, a copy of an email from BMW NA customer relations saying an update was available, the link to "PUMA" (whatever that is) and two trips to the dealer costing me time from work.

But, at the end of the day, it was the customers' problem.

Oh well...some institutions can never admit they had trouble or that they learned from someone else.

Anyone know how to get full names to show on retrofitted E90s? I tried the Nero burning instructions to no avail. The long names are definitiely there in Windows Explorer. It's the E90 that doesn't display them.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #26
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

I had CIP 20 installed a few weeks ago to correct a bluetooth problem. Everything software wise worked great after that. But when my car was in for service just earlier this week, they completed a "12-19-05 recall" and my SA told me it was a software update. They didn't change my software back to an older version, did they? My bluetooth profile was still there when I got the car back the other day, but all my radio presets were missing. I just want to make sure I didn't get an "update" of old software and my bluetooth will crap out on me again in the future.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #27
FeeBear
Fee
United_States
Rep

Drives: F82 SO M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 VW Jetta  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to FeeBear
I had my "Code" upgrade last week (Installed Sirius Sat) and when they finished EVERYTHING was reset eg Radio Preset and Garage Door and Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #28
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeBear
I had my "Code" upgrade last week (Installed Sirius Sat) and when they finished EVERYTHING was reset eg Radio Preset and Garage Door and Bluetooth.
Your dealer musta messed up system restore or something, because mine came back with garage door, Bluetooth, and NAV address book all intact.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #29
BimmerSD
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i/Prem/Nav/Sp/20%tint

It's no use. I called also for an MP3 upgrade and the SA suggested it'll cost $180. When i talked to BMW NA, they mentioned that the Service department at dealerships is not mandated to do this for free as they do not consider the upgrade as fixing a faulty or deficient part. Adding on mp3 capability is considered an accessory.
      04-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #30
mds82
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mds82 Send a message via Yahoo to mds82
my dealer wouldnt update my car to 21 even after i told them to. Make sure you actually have one of the problems that is actually listed in the correction list - otherwise they wont update it for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #31
mds82
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mds82 Send a message via Yahoo to mds82
well, actually it was my mistake - i thought CIP 21 corrected the problem of the RDS Feature where it would display the name of the song title or author instead of the number of the station... my bad.
Appreciate 0