E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Door Speaker Wiring

04-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
ScotyH
Bimmer me up

Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Door Speaker Wiring

I'm trying to figure out if the tweeters in the front doors are connected to the mids or if they have their own wires that go back to the amp (I have the Professional radio). I'm looking at upgrading these.

Any input would be appreciated!
      04-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
abdyel
BIG PAPI

Drives: Proud of my 325i

Garage List
2006 325I  [0.00]
the front tweeters are conected to the front speakers

325i sport/ premium/ cold weather package/ IDrive/ Xenon/ H&R springs/ breyton spoiler/ breyton front lip/ silver CF trims/ black line tail lights/5% tints/ and much more to come
abdyel is offline   Puerto Rico
      04-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
xcalibr
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
my guess is that it's like any other car stereo setup... there's one set of wires going to the front from the factory amp. the signal is then split with crossovers to the tweeter and midrange speaker. what exactly are you trying to do? or were you just curious?
xcalibr is offline   Taiwan
      04-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
smellygas
Private First Class

Drives: '06 325i (very soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH
I'm trying to figure out if the tweeters in the front doors are connected to the mids or if they have their own wires that go back to the amp (I have the Professional radio). I'm looking at upgrading these.

Any input would be appreciated!
Both the mid and tweet receive the same signal from a single amp channel. If you're adding an aftermarket tweeter, you'll need your own passive crossover inside the door...although if I were you, I'd get rid of the crappy midwoofer too. Good luck.

SmellyGas
      04-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
ScotyH
Bimmer me up

Thanks for the input.

I want to run an active crossover system for the mids & tweets. To do that I will have to run another set of speaker wires into the doors and that looks like it will be a major pain in the ass.

Oh well...
      04-21-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
smellygas
Private First Class

Drives: '06 325i (very soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH
Thanks for the input.

I want to run an active crossover system for the mids & tweets. To do that I will have to run another set of speaker wires into the doors and that looks like it will be a major pain in the ass.

Oh well...
Major pain, man. As user Tierfreund pointed out to me, there's a special connector that runs between the door and the cabin - you can't feed wires through to run the second amp line. You have to either purchase special pins from BMW to fit into unused slots in the connector, or you can carefully drill a hole through the connector and feed a line through. I bought custom drivers that needed an active crossover for tuning - which is why I had to bi-amp... but it was really quite a hack job getting everything together. Good luck.

SmellyGas
      04-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
ScotyH
Bimmer me up

That's what I figured. How big of a wire can you get through if you drill out the connector? I was hoping to use 2 single 16awg conductors if I can.