Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > T1R's

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [4.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
What looks the best LOL...
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #24
SoCalJD
Rep

Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
Oh man... I've been following this thread since its inception and I'm so confused now.

Was looking at T1Rs and PS2s. Also considering GS-D3s.

confused now.
<<<

Yeah, me too. Comments run from "best tire ever" to "total crap". So, to makes things even more confusing, I called my wrench. He said: "If it was *my* wife's car, I'd get the brand new BS Potenza 760 Sports." They're cheaper too, and he says they're "way better than the Toyos." (And, btw, he sells Toyo, but not Bridgestone). So I'm leaning towards them. In the meantime, I'm getting the RA1's on the M5 tomorow.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #25
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 95 Audi S6

Garage List
e92phreak..I had TWO set of Toyo T1Rs..on my last Audi...and before that T1S. The T1Rs I got for my project car. While I liked them at first...they started wearing strangely..just like my T1S's did on two other DIFFERENT cars..so you cant blame in on alignment. The T1Rs...did not do well at all in the wet. I wish I could find that tire comparison test...put on by Car&Driver I think..where the overall rating of the T1R came out 8/10...with 1 being best. I like the RA1s..and have lots of experience with the T1S and T1R..but hands down..I sincerely think the F1 GS-D3 is a much better option for dry and wet performance on a street car.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #26
SoCalJD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
e92phreak..I had TWO set of Toyo T1Rs..on my last Audi...and before that T1S. The T1Rs I got for my project car. While I liked them at first...they started wearing strangely..just like my T1S's did on two other DIFFERENT cars..so you cant blame in on alignment. The T1Rs...did not do well at all in the wet. I wish I could find that tire comparison test...put on by Car&Driver I think..where the overall rating of the T1R came out 8/10...with 1 being best. I like the RA1s..and have lots of experience with the T1S and T1R..but hands down..I sincerely think the F1 GS-D3 is a much better option for dry and wet performance on a street car.
>>>

Keep in mind what car/driver/conditions we're talking about. For me and my M5, on these twisty mountain roads, nothing is gonna beat the RA1's. My wife doesn't push her 325i, and we rarely have wet roads, so pretty much *anything* will be an improvement over the RF's. I'm liking what I'm hearing about these new Potenzas, and I'm 95% sure I'm gonna order some. Looks like Tirerack's got a good deal on them ($665 total, including road hazard. Not including $50 gift card i-net special)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #27
SoCalJD
Rep

Not sure if this link will work, but I found the C&D test: C&D Article. (I can see already it's probably *not* gonna work. I'm no computer geek. Just Google it). It's about 3 years old though, and these Potenzas just came out.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #28
diononiz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 14 M6GC - black/black

I have T1Rs on my 535 and find them to be an acceptable tire for everyday driving. The sidewalls are soft and they do seem to do well in the wet. The noise level is pretty good as well. In the past (on a different cars) I have had pilot sport 2s, Bridgestone Re050s and SO3s and in terms of overall handling I would say all 3 are better. The T1Rs are less responsive and do not have the grip of the others. In terms of everyday driving I find the T1Rs to be great as they ride well and are mostly quiet. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #29
anerbe
Major
Rep

Drives: 2013 S4

haha, who know's anymore.

T1R's were all the rage in the M3 forums. I got them for mine, and had the T1S before. I bought the tires with the recommendation from the forum and the idea of buying a cheap set to burn through some track events. I honestly didn't plan on having them last more than 12K. The tires lasted each about 20-24K miles with about 6 driving events per year. As soon as I got them, I usually heat cycled them at the first track event of the year. Please note that the first track event, they were not good at all on the track, sliding everywhere. After letting them cool for a day, they turned super sticky while lasting the whole year with a large amount of miles.
Not sure if anybody here has taken them to the track and really put heat into them and tried them after? I can't say how the wear and noise is if you don't, but my two sets worked great!

I assume the tire reviews just grabbed the tires off the shelf, and put each through it's paces. In the M3 forums, the T1R's seem to be very slippery when new, and take around 1K of hard driving to finally wear them down.

With all the negative publicity here, I suggest getting other brands for fear of getting lynched. I also don't know if they changed tread compounds. If you really plan on eating through tires, and wouldn't mind buying a set to try, I'd recommend them (if you plan on doing a couple of course events per year). PS2's are just too expensive to replace once a year.
Appreciate 0