E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Why do dealerships suck?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
jrebeiro
Private First Class
2
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Why do dealerships suck?

First of all.. this whole coding nonsense to install accessories is ridiculous!

Second.. if the BMW SIB says an install will take an hour why does the dealership insist on charging for 2????

BMW of Freehold today tried to tell me the Sirius install on my E90 was going to take over 2 hours. Mind you I already did half the install.. all they had to do was rewire the MOST bus (my car didn't have the fiber optic cables in the right spots) and perform the coding. It took me all of 10 minutes to pop off the rear seat and access the MOST bus. How can it possibly take an experienced and certified BMW technician 2 hours to do what I (an inexperienced computer nerd) did in 10 minutes? It just seems absurd to me. Even more absurd is that the part that I did myself only took me 15 minutes including unboxing the receiver. So total time for the actual install part was 25 minutes by me. Software updates are covered under warranty and are not billable to me so I don't know where he is getting the 2 hours from.

Chuck (the Certified Pre-Owned service guy) refused to only bill me for 1 hour over the phone, insisting he could not do the install in 1 hour, so I told him to give me back my car. When BMW calls me for their service survey they are getting all 1's!!!!! I may even be tempted to call BMW Customer Care and complain about this!

I had some other problems with the car but I refused to let them handle it. It's my understanding that the dealerships bill BMW for warranty work right? So by me taking the warranty work to another dealership I am sending business elsewhere right? The only shitty part is that I can only get a loaner at BMW of Freehold Circle BMW won't give me a loaner because I didn't buy the car from them!

I ended up just wiring a Starmate Replay 4 to the shark fin and doing a hardwire install hiding the cables in the center console. The only drawback is I don't get steering wheel controls and the display is hidden in the armrest. I mainly listen to Sirius Hits 1, Area 33, or The Beat anyway and don't flip channels but still.

Today seriously pissed me off!
__________________

2006 325xi - Heated Seats.... *sigh*
Mods: Homelink/Auto-Dim/Compass Mirror DIY, Sirius DIY, Harman/Kardon Drive+Play, Escort Passport 8500 X50 Hardwire with Integrated Smartcord DIY
Coming Soon: Bluetooth/BMW Assist DIY
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
picus's Avatar
Canada
57
Rep
4,176
Posts

 
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

It's like this everywhere. A client of mine broke off his mirror on his 328i; I called around and got a parts cost of $368 + 1/hr labor; took it in and all of a sudden its $687 + 3 hours labor. Your best bet is to make friends with a service advisor somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
mdmaxxx
Captain
mdmaxxx's Avatar
11
Rep
826
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i AW
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to mdmaxxx
they dont really make money on the cars they sell.....they make it on repairs and bs services u dont need
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Bamafn1
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
142
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328xi M Sport Black/Black
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Maybe it's me, but isn't it better to spend a little more to get a warranty, and not void your own?
__________________
11 328xiS Black Sapphire Met, ZMP, ZPP, ZVP, Xenon, SAT, NAV

Go Bama, Roll Tide!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
jrebeiro
Private First Class
2
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafn1 View Post
Maybe it's me, but isn't it better to spend a little more to get a warranty, and not void your own?
What about accessories has anything to do with a warranty? I have a warranty and have 30k miles left on it.

Care to explain how your response makes any sense whatsoever?

If you seem to think that by installing the Sirius receiver myself I voided my warranty... well 1.. you are wrong... and 2.. once I got to the MOST bus I stopped so I am not sure where in your mind you get that I would void my warranty.

And no.. I don't feel that spending double what BMW states is worth having them do it.

Had I known the service department at BMW of Freehold had pricks like Chuck working there I would have bought my car from Circle BMW. Even the parts department at Circle BMW has super friendly people working there and their pricing is better! Arghhh.. hindsight!
__________________

2006 325xi - Heated Seats.... *sigh*
Mods: Homelink/Auto-Dim/Compass Mirror DIY, Sirius DIY, Harman/Kardon Drive+Play, Escort Passport 8500 X50 Hardwire with Integrated Smartcord DIY
Coming Soon: Bluetooth/BMW Assist DIY
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
itsbrokeagain
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
United_States
173
Rep
15,737
Posts

 
Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Valley Stream, NY

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
Sirius sucks anyway. My year contract was up, didnt listen to them that much anyway.

Now they call my ass at 9AM on Saturday, 10AM on sunday, and call me twice a day during the week to try to get me to resubscribe.

I already had a few choice words with one of their sales people, and told them to stop fucking calling me and to take my number off the list.

They have refused to comply....is there anyway I can take it up with my cell provider to block the number or osmething?

And the 2 hour gimmick is bullshit. Usually its supposed to be 1 hour for programming, depending on the module. If the SSS happens to freeze up while programming, you have to start alll over again, but we still never got paid another hour to fix it. If it broke in the first hour, then thats it, you had to fix it and you could never make any time.


This is why techs hate doing programming so much...cuse is almost always a lose-lose situation....and half the time something goes wrong, leading to another issue of having to replace whatever locked up in programming (i.e, if thye were programming the car and it locked up while programming your climate control, that module usually has to be replaced cuse half programming obviously corrupts the electronics, and renders it useless....what fun right?)
__________________
AUTOCouture Motoring: Handling reflector installs to turbo upgrades and superchargers, and everything in between
15-01 Pollitt Drive, Fairlawn NJ 201-666-3500

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Bamafn1
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
142
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328xi M Sport Black/Black
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Any BMW accessory that is installed at the dealer, will carry the warranty of the car. While I'm sure you know what you are doing, there is always the possibility of some wiring damage occuring, and aftermarket electronics that tap into the car's electronics at all, could cause costly problems. The install time really isn't that bad, the first hour is for full install, and the 2nd hour is for vehicle retrofitting. I'm pretty sure that dealers have been marking those labor times up forever, since the labor time that they are given is the warranty time, not the CP time.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience at your local dealer.
__________________
11 328xiS Black Sapphire Met, ZMP, ZPP, ZVP, Xenon, SAT, NAV

Go Bama, Roll Tide!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
e90fanatic
Absolute0
e90fanatic's Avatar
No_Country
71
Rep
5,018
Posts

 
Drives: Has a Roundel
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TO/HK/NJ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
Sirius sucks anyway. My year contract was up, didnt listen to them that much anyway.

Now they call my ass at 9AM on Saturday, 10AM on sunday, and call me twice a day during the week to try to get me to resubscribe.

I already had a few choice words with one of their sales people, and told them to stop fucking calling me and to take my number off the list.

They have refused to comply....is there anyway I can take it up with my cell provider to block the number or osmething?

And the 2 hour gimmick is bullshit. Usually its supposed to be 1 hour for programming, depending on the module. If the SSS happens to freeze up while programming, you have to start alll over again, but we still never got paid another hour to fix it. If it broke in the first hour, then thats it, you had to fix it and you could never make any time.


This is why techs hate doing programming so much...cuse is almost always a lose-lose situation....and half the time something goes wrong, leading to another issue of having to replace whatever locked up in programming (i.e, if thye were programming the car and it locked up while programming your climate control, that module usually has to be replaced cuse half programming obviously corrupts the electronics, and renders it useless....what fun right?)
you should have gave them a fake number. go online, log in, change personal information. lets see them contact you afterwards
__________________
To procede or not to procede......
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
jrebeiro
Private First Class
2
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafn1 View Post
Any BMW accessory that is installed at the dealer, will carry the warranty of the car. While I'm sure you know what you are doing, there is always the possibility of some wiring damage occuring, and aftermarket electronics that tap into the car's electronics at all, could cause costly problems. The install time really isn't that bad, the first hour is for full install, and the 2nd hour is for vehicle retrofitting. I'm pretty sure that dealers have been marking those labor times up forever, since the labor time that they are given is the warranty time, not the CP time.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience at your local dealer.
This was a BMW accessory and no aftermarket parts were used.

There is no way the install alone would take an hour as I could have done it in under 30 minutes if the MOST bus in my car was wired like the instructions said it was.

Circle BMW was fine with me doing the install and would only charge me an hour for the coding... but the car also needs software updates which could take a few hours and they won't give me a loaner because I didn't buy the car from them

I had no idea when I bought the car that the loaners were only given to you from your home dealership I thought it was for any BMW owner. Oh well, lesson learned... next car gets purchased from Circle BMW.
__________________

2006 325xi - Heated Seats.... *sigh*
Mods: Homelink/Auto-Dim/Compass Mirror DIY, Sirius DIY, Harman/Kardon Drive+Play, Escort Passport 8500 X50 Hardwire with Integrated Smartcord DIY
Coming Soon: Bluetooth/BMW Assist DIY
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
fizzle's Avatar
United_States
186
Rep
17,440
Posts

 
Drives: a car
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to fizzle
btw warranty does not cover installing OEM parts, or software updates unless its for a recall or a SIB. i tried with my dealer. they charge you the service time. if that was the case, you could get all the aero parts installed for free since they are OEM, but you cant. you still get charged. just sucks ur dealer charges more. try to find another dealer
__________________
Rest In Peace, Dad 7/2/09 Miss you...

contact me for photoshoots/detailing
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #11
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
fizzle's Avatar
United_States
186
Rep
17,440
Posts

 
Drives: a car
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to fizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrebeiro View Post
I had no idea when I bought the car that the loaners were only given to you from your home dealership I thought it was for any BMW owner. Oh well, lesson learned... next car gets purchased from Circle BMW.
also thats not true. i got my car at morristown, i bring it to paul miller and get a loaner everytime.
__________________
Rest In Peace, Dad 7/2/09 Miss you...

contact me for photoshoots/detailing
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
jrebeiro
Private First Class
2
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
warranty does cover software updates! It does not cover retrofit coding which I was fine with paying. Just not 2 hours of labor for coding.
__________________

2006 325xi - Heated Seats.... *sigh*
Mods: Homelink/Auto-Dim/Compass Mirror DIY, Sirius DIY, Harman/Kardon Drive+Play, Escort Passport 8500 X50 Hardwire with Integrated Smartcord DIY
Coming Soon: Bluetooth/BMW Assist DIY
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
fizzle's Avatar
United_States
186
Rep
17,440
Posts

 
Drives: a car
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to fizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrebeiro View Post
warranty does cover software updates! It does not cover retrofit coding which I was fine with paying. Just not 2 hours of labor for coding.
yea software updates that are needed but not coding which is what you are going for. sorry i didnt type it correctly...but yea it needs to be coded then updated again via Progman.
__________________
Rest In Peace, Dad 7/2/09 Miss you...

contact me for photoshoots/detailing
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
Dragonman4's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,712
Posts

 
Drives: 996tt
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tri-state

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
If it makes you feel any better they gave me a quote for 3 hours of labor to install the front aero lip on my 335. That literally takes like 10 minutes max.
__________________
OG E90 Pwhore
2003 Porsche 911 Turbo Cobalt Blue (BLU 996) - 500+hp of mods.
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Batmobile) -TRD stuff
2009 Merc C-350: AMG package, loaded
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST