Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > hyper inflating tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

05-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #23
McLuVan
Lieutenant General

Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I think that image has the contact patches backwards. I think the ends should be swapped. The over-inflated tire will have the center portion of the tread in contact with the road, while the underinflated tire will have the edges of the tread in contact.

And the maximum tire pressure on the sidewall is for maximum weight capacity. If you are not putting the maximum rated weight on the tires, you don't need the maximum air pressure.....
i think the black part is wear
not contact
white=wear
      05-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #24
TRICKE90
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335i coupe, montego blue,

Garage List
2008 e92 335i coupe  [0.00]
2008 335i coupe  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
A CHP told me one time that when driving in the rain it's a good idea to inflate your tires to 40-45 psi, (they do it). On my last set of runflats I ran 33front, 35 rear, and my tires lasted me 23,000 miles with even wear. I much prefer those pressures you still get good handling and a good ride.
TRICKE90 is offline   United_States
      05-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #25
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
i think the black part is wear
not contact
white=wear
That could be, but it doesn't seem to match up with the center image too well though. Either way, over-inflated and under-inflated tires have issues. Properly inflated is the way to go!
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
scollins is offline   No_Country
      05-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #26
MrSteak
Lieutenant

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
First you say you run your tires 5-10 over the MAX PSI on the sidewall and then you say...

So.... which one is it? You've got me throughly confused.

It's more than just ride comfort that goes into factoring. Tire size (sidewall height), type of suspension (sport/non-sport), handling you desire, your driving speed and the weights/loads (i.e. passengers and luggage) you put into your car are all factors in proper tire inflation.

All I'm saying is that people think over inflating is inflating the tires past the manufacturer's recommended psi, which is is not. (That number is just way too conservative.) I run my tires about 5psi over the maximum recommended psi as described on the sidewall of the tire... thats "over inflating".

Tires don't balloon up like everyone thinks (and these stupid exaggerated illustrations show). This one car our stunt driving teacher had, was a ford pick up, and the recommended psi was in the 30's, and the max psi was in the 40's, and he had the tires inflated to 100psi. They didn't BALLOON up, or bulge or anything really visibly noticeable.

All in all tires are among the most important parts of a car, and need to be properly inflated consistently. IMO and the opinion of others, proper inflating is a matter of opinion, although inflating them to max psi is the bare minimum needed in order to achieve the tire's full potential.
      05-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #27
dugedug
Private

Drives: '06 330i Arktic Metallic

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
All I'm saying is that people think over inflating is inflating the tires past the manufacturer's recommended psi, which is is not. (That number is just way too conservative.) I run my tires about 5psi over the maximum recommended psi as described on the sidewall of the tire... thats "over inflating".

Tires don't balloon up like everyone thinks (and these stupid exaggerated illustrations show). This one car our stunt driving teacher had, was a ford pick up, and the recommended psi was in the 30's, and the max psi was in the 40's, and he had the tires inflated to 100psi. They didn't BALLOON up, or bulge or anything really visibly noticeable.

All in all tires are among the most important parts of a car, and need to be properly inflated consistently. IMO and the opinion of others, proper inflating is a matter of opinion, although inflating them to max psi is the bare minimum needed in order to achieve the tire's full potential.
That is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read your comments. What you have posted isn't an opinion, it's absurd; it fails on all levels of logic and reasoning. You, sir, FAIL. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
      05-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #28
AJerman
Major

Drives: '08 335i

Send a message via AIM to AJerman Send a message via MSN to AJerman Send a message via Yahoo to AJerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugedug View Post
That is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read your comments. What you have posted isn't an opinion, it's absurd; it fails on all levels of logic and reasoning. You, sir, FAIL. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.
+1

100psi, lmao. My roommate works at a tire shop, he'll get a kick out of this one.
      05-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #29
Tag
Colonel

Drives: 335is

100 PSI? OMG, please just stop right there. It's one thing to over inflate for "stunt driving" to achieve the handling you desire for stunts, etc. and a whole other thing in real world driving on the road with others. If you think a tire at any amount over the max pressure listed on the tire itself is OK please get off the road immediately. It's a matter of time before you hurt or kill someone.

Anything over the max pressure causes the shoulder of the tire to cup away from the road. This gives the tire a smaller contact area which results in reduced grip on the road, reduced handling and a reduced ability to bring the car to a stop quickly.

Just becuase you can't see it with your eyes doesn't mean it's not cupping. You can't tell with your eyes that a tire is inflated to the right pressure just by looking at it either .

Modding ain't easy
Tag is offline   United_States
      05-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #30
MrSteak
Lieutenant

Quote:
Ahh I see... so you have all this real world experience and knowledge on tires, as well as over inflating tires. That must be what you're basing all you're "opinions" on. Apparently YOU are the all knowing authority on tires, so you must obviously have you're own test track, and school where you teach people about these things?

Give me a fucken break. I basically said that everyone has their own opinions on tire pressure, and I'm sticking with the ones I've learned from professionals, in both racing and stunt driving. Also, that I've seen and drove in a vehicle with wheels inflated to 100psi, and it wasn't nearly as visually warped as you'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
+1
100psi, lmao. My roommate works at a tire shop, he'll get a kick out of this one.
Ha, good... I'm sure you're roommate must know more about tires than professional stunt drivers, and vehicle testers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
100 PSI? OMG, please just stop right there. It's one thing to over inflate for "stunt driving" to achieve the handling you desire for stunts, etc. and a whole other thing in real world driving on the road with others. If you think a tire at any amount over the max pressure listed on the tire itself is OK please get off the road immediately. It's a matter of time before you hurt or kill someone.

Anything over the max pressure causes the shoulder of the tire to cup away from the road. This gives the tire a smaller contact area which results in reduced grip on the road, reduced handling and a reduced ability to bring the car to a stop quickly.

Just becuase you can't see it with your eyes doesn't mean it's not cupping. You can't tell with your eyes that a tire is inflated to the right pressure just by looking at it either .

Ok, I'm off the road... since obviously you know best.

I love how some of you people think you know it all, and feel the need to impose your opinions on others. I just chimed in on a thread since I have first hand knowledge and experience with this thing. I'm not preaching, or telling EVERYONE to inflate their tires all the way to 100psi or anything like that.

I've learned from pro's that teach a variety of driving courses, teach the military/law enforcement, as well as test vehicles and tires. I learned about tires, and have been able to test out these pressures first hand on a track and in the real world, so at least I'm bringing some experience to the table. I've tried it all, and this is what works best. Unlike some of you, this isn't some shit I read in a magazine, or some jerk off at the local tire shop told me, or what my car's instruction manual suggests.
      05-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #31
Park2670
General

Drives: 2014 CX-5

Inflating your tires above the manufactures recommendations WILL make the tire wear beyond what they are intended for. There is no need to argue about this.
      05-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #32
dugedug
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Ahh I see... so you have all this real world experience and knowledge on tires, as well as over inflating tires. That must be what you're basing all you're "opinions" on. Apparently YOU are the all knowing authority on tires, so you must obviously have you're own test track, and school where you teach people about these things?

Give me a fucken break. I basically said that everyone has their own opinions on tire pressure, and I'm sticking with the ones I've learned from professionals, in both racing and stunt driving. Also, that I've seen and drove in a vehicle with wheels inflated to 100psi, and it wasn't nearly as visually warped as you'd think.

Ha, good... I'm sure you're roommate must know more about tires than professional stunt drivers, and vehicle testers.

Ok, I'm off the road... since obviously you know best.

I love how some of you people think you know it all, and feel the need to impose your opinions on others. I just chimed in on a thread since I have first hand knowledge and experience with this thing. I'm not preaching, or telling EVERYONE to inflate their tires all the way to 100psi or anything like that.

I've learned from pro's that teach a variety of driving courses, teach the military/law enforcement, as well as test vehicles and tires. I learned about tires, and have been able to test out these pressures first hand on a track and in the real world, so at least I'm bringing some experience to the table. I've tried it all, and this is what works best. Unlike some of you, this isn't some shit I read in a magazine, or some jerk off at the local tire shop told me, or what my car's instruction manual suggests.

Listen kid, I'm not imposing my opinion, I'm telling you that you are full of crap. There are no "opinions" on physics. Get your sources to come out and publicly state what you have or go away before your asinine comments kill someone....

btw, working more than a few years in an acft wheel & tire shop for the USAF has taught me a few things. I've built hundreds of wheel and tire assemblies all over 300psi (on split rims designed for it)... But one thing I learned long before that was common sense, you should check into learning about that.
      05-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #33
mfstout
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 328i Coupe

I'll answer your question with a question: Do you really feel comfortable riding on tires that are inflated well beyond the manufacturer's psi recos? And, legally speaking, if one of your tires blows out and you're hurt (hopefully not) and the insurance company sees that you over-inflated your tires, you might lose some or all of your coverage. I would be safe and stay within the suggested psi. Those numbers are there for a reason. I'm no expert, but to me it's all about safety. Good luck.
mfstout is offline   United_States
      05-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #34
MrSteak
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout View Post
I'll answer your question with a question: Do you really feel comfortable riding on tires that are inflated well beyond the manufacturer's psi recos? And, legally speaking, if one of your tires blows out and you're hurt (hopefully not) and the insurance company sees that you over-inflated your tires, you might lose some or all of your coverage. I would be safe and stay within the suggested psi. Those numbers are there for a reason. I'm no expert, but to me it's all about safety. Good luck.
No, you're not an expert.

*Neither am I, but I learned from one, and have been able to experience the differences first hand. (On a track, and in the street.)

Last edited by MrSteak; 05-13-2008 at 04:46 AM.
MrSteak is offline   United_States
      05-13-2008, 04:46 AM   #35
MrSteak
Lieutenant

Quote:
Listen kid, I'm not imposing my opinion, I'm telling you that you are full of crap. There are no "opinions" on physics. Get your sources to come out and publicly state what you have or go away before your asinine comments kill someone....

btw, working more than a few years in an acft wheel & tire shop for the USAF has taught me a few things. I've built hundreds of wheel and tire assemblies all over 300psi (on split rims designed for it)... But one thing I learned long before that was common sense, you should check into learning about that.

I'm not a kid (27), I've been driving for a little over 10 years, averaging about 20-25,000 miles a year. (Plus whatever experience from driving schools, and clinics I've taken.) And again... I'm not blindly suggesting anything here, I've actually tried and tested these things out. (Unlike you who "just knows" it won't work.)

So you have ZERO real world experience or have never tested a vehicle's performance with tires filled up to their max psi? Yet you still think you somehow know better? Thats amazing.

*BTW, my "sources" are probably a little busy with teaching classes, and training police & military personnel, to be arguing on a forum. But here's a link to an article about the school and tire pressure.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Ed...ssure/19$27281

Oh, and here's a link to to the instructor's credentials. http://bobbyoresports.com/The%20Instructor.htm
I think I'd trust his opinion, over yours.
      05-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #36
dugedug
Private

Deleted.

Last edited by dugedug; 05-13-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Not worth wasting BW on cause he has no reading comprehension skills
      05-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #37
MrSteak
Lieutenant

haha
      05-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #38
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!

Drives: 335is

Hate to break it to you but Law Enforcement is hardly the place to go for actual engineering solutions or advice. They are LEOs for a reason and it IS NOT BECAUSE OF THEIR SUPERIOR INTELLECT, OR INTELLIGENCE.

You espousing the virtues of hyper inflation based on a couple of idiots and their limited experience with a Crown Vic and 70 series profile tires used in TRAINING is irresponsible, short sighted and dangerous.

Sure go ahead and run the max PSI on the tire, enjoy your shitty ride and reduced handling/ride performance. But do not claim that running 50PSI is a good idea, hell even the toolbox's webpage says nobody does it on the streets but yeah in training it makes their tires last longer... Yippa!

You ever watch cops training in their cars? You ever see the incompetence and the bare minimum ability behind the wheel? These "training centers" are not some pinnacle of driving skill, they are the minimum to produce safe cops. Again Bare minimum, NOT some elite. Just as qualifying with their sidearms does not make them world class marksmen, budget center training and "hopefully" annual refreshers do little more than maintain the bare minimum of competence, which I am certain you are in possession of. But to claim any sort of expertise is misguided and inappropriate.

Too still be there pecking away at your computer using your limited little bit of claimed training as a basis for telling folks to run pressures that exceed ANY and ALL common sense as well as OEM and Manufacturers recommendations is foolhardy and will result in little more than a shitty ride, increased tire wear, and someone likely getting hurt.

Don't ever assume that other folks out there are not in possession of far more education, training, experience, and ability than yourself unless you are world class and at the leading edge of your specialty/career. Which you are not, folks at the top of their games, with real expertise, do not show up on web forums making claims and arguing with folks.

'13 TiAg over Coral, 335is | DCT | Prem | L7 | Nav/Idrive | CA | 19" "-------"

A BMW is Just a Car, it doesn't make you smart, handsome, cool, or wealthy. Get over it.
Revlis is offline   United_States
      05-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #39
MrSteak
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Hate to break it to you but Law Enforcement is hardly the place to go for actual engineering solutions or advice. They are LEOs for a reason and it IS NOT BECAUSE OF THEIR SUPERIOR INTELLECT, OR INTELLIGENCE.

You espousing the virtues of hyper inflation based on a couple of idiots and their limited experience with a Crown Vic and 70 series profile tires used in TRAINING is irresponsible, short sighted and dangerous.

Sure go ahead and run the max PSI on the tire, enjoy your shitty ride and reduced handling/ride performance. But do not claim that running 50PSI is a good idea, hell even the toolbox's webpage says nobody does it on the streets but yeah in training it makes their tires last longer... Yippa!

You ever watch cops training in their cars? You ever see the incompetence and the bare minimum ability behind the wheel? These "training centers" are not some pinnacle of driving skill, they are the minimum to produce safe cops. Again Bare minimum, NOT some elite. Just as qualifying with their sidearms does not make them world class marksmen, budget center training and "hopefully" annual refreshers do little more than maintain the bare minimum of competence, which I am certain you are in possession of. But to claim any sort of expertise is misguided and inappropriate.

Too still be there pecking away at your computer using your limited little bit of claimed training as a basis for telling folks to run pressures that exceed ANY and ALL common sense as well as OEM and Manufacturers recommendations is foolhardy and will result in little more than a shitty ride, increased tire wear, and someone likely getting hurt.

Don't ever assume that other folks out there are not in possession of far more education, training, experience, and ability than yourself unless you are world class and at the leading edge of your specialty/career. Which you are not, folks at the top of their games, with real expertise, do not show up on web forums making claims and arguing with folks.
I never told people to do anything, I just posted my opinion and experience on the subject thread. I've even stated numerous times that I'm by no means "world class" or an all knowing expert, I've just learned from people who are. (Hence the link to one of the instructor's credentials.) I'm not making "claims" like you say... I'm just sharing what I've been taught and have experience with.

As far as the first link goes, it's just an article that a law enforcement trainer wrote ABOUT his experience working with MY stunt driving instructor. It was about the benefits of tire pressure, not the inability and minimum standards of law enforcement driving.

I just love how you're all here "pecking away" also, while you all have no experience with driving with your tires inflated to max psi. All I hear is a bunch of people claiming it to be dangerous, and how they all know better somehow. Although nobody has been able to provide any examples of HOW exactly they know better than a driving instructor who has over 30 years experience in racing, vehicle & tire testing, stunt driving, and countless other driver experience. But ok, some guy on a forum says it's dangerous, and my tires will balloon up, and wear faster... Hahahah yeah, I'll believe you over a professional, along with first hand comparisons and experience on a track. Right.
      05-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #40
galahad05
Colonel

Drives: 335i Sedan

I'm totally feelin' the love in this thread.
      05-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #41
Park2670
General

Drives: 2014 CX-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
I'm totally feelin' the love in this thread.
Lets all hold hands...
Park2670 is offline   United_States