Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What's the Downside to Replicas???

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

05-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #23
l4wr3nc3
The Law.

Drives: BMW

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jho86 View Post
I noticed the same. I just sold my RSX-S, left the honda forums and now here.

Back over there, ROTAS are HATED simply because they make a replica of too many to list companies. What I dont get is, the authentics dont cost much more, e.g. replica = 850 and authentics say = 2000. IMO they only have 1 good rim (slipstreams - lightweight good for track)...

The thing is with these BMW "replicas", its more like, many want the look of the m6 wheels / m3 wheels / CSL wheels
but unfortunately, they DONT come in the offset for our vehicle. I bet if those wheel styles from OEM came in other
offsets, people WOULD pay $$ to get them but unfortunately that they dont.

On the otherhand, majority of the companies that "replicate" ONLY these bmw styles (the ones our Vendors carry) in the offsets we BMW owners want (such as CSL reps for e36 / e46 / e92) so we can get the look we want in the right offset/size..

Lets compare something here... Rotas crack/bend on lightweight japanese cars..I think that shows the lack of quality there. The BMW replicas people use on the forum here are much better IMO because its less common that they crack/bend carrying us heavyweight bimmers. I would wondering how if we had 10 guys running Rotas on these heavy bimmers, how many would crack.

Dont doubt the replicas these vendors sell on the forums or any vendor sells on BIMMER forums.
Do you have any actual accounts of Rotas bending or cracking on people? There is always this negative stima with Rotas yet people have no proof to back it up. I've known PLENTY of people that run Rotas on track or street or even both and have had no problems. Lets face it, if you hit a pothole hard enough, even forged wheels will crack.

Theres always the few that talk smack about wheels they dont even know. How about you go on Miata, subaru, evo forums and see what wheels are popular with them. I've known more people that have cracked M6 reps or even Neez then Rotas. And yes i know them personally so its not like its some story someone posted on a forum.

At the end of the day, its all about how you drive. If you are not careful, any type of rim will crack. But yes i will agree that replicas are more prone to bending/cracking. But its not like if you get on the road they will automatically fail on you.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan