E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Paint Protection Film???

05-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Paint Protection Film???

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to canvas your valuable opinions regarding the 3M stone guard paint protection film - you know, the ones that are CAD cut to shape and professionally installed.

Been considering this for the new car, as the front end may be more susceptible to the dreaded road rash - I like the idea of the extra protection but am just a little concerned - I know the film will still get damaged by stones and may end up looking unsightly and I don't want the car to look like it's been wrapped in cling film.

Never had a car done before - just drove a mile behind traffic and touched up chips as necessary but these modern water based paints seem harder to care for and a front respray seems a costly thing to have to do every few years.

I've been quoted 1,100 for full coverage of the front bumper, bonnet and wings.

Anyone tried them and/or got any comments/pics??

Mark

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep

Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
I've not had PPF fitted to this car, but I did have it fitted to my Nissan 350Z.

Here's an earlier thread where I posted some more details
      05-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est

Hi Mark!

That sounds expensive tbh....

I was quoted 550 to do the front of the Lotus......before negotiation...

Drop tomw@paintshield.co.uk an email....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 320d MSport

Does seem very expensive - i would not have it done at that price and have chips away or equivilent sort out as and when required
      05-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Turbo Power
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW 1M

The price you have been quoted is about right i'm afraid.
I've been getting quotes to have the front of my CSL protected and they are all coming out at just over a grand.
I got three quotes from the following:
Paintshield
Ventureshield
Armourfend

My friend picks up his new lotus exige s this week and he got the front of the car with paint protection film done for 400.
He asked the sales rep about getting a CSL done and how much it would cost. They came back with the same reply 1K, the reason being the lotus is a lot smaller car that's why it's a lot cheaper than most other cars.
      05-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Drives: E61 M Sport + 924 Turbo

Garage List
You could get the front of the car repainted for a grand!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Thanks for the feedback guys:

Chrisbin/Bob/Amar/Dervfan: Actually that price is from Paintshield (Grantham) for the FULL coverage of the bumper, bonnet and wings (not just partial panels). TBH I had expected about 500 - 700, so 1,100 was somewhat more than I had anticipated.... want to pay a 'fair' price but at the same time want a really good job (only people who use pre-cut panels - absolutely NO cutting on the car!!!).

carrerarsr: I have a friend who has the front bumper, bonnet and wings of his Aston re-sprayed every 2 years - looks immaculate but it costs him almost 3k a time!!

I guess if you want to keep a car A1 it's gonna cost either way....so probably best that I don't add up what I've spent on cars over the last 25 years!! They always leave me in better nick than when they arrive and I don't expect the latest one will be any different

PS: Chrisbin - any news on the dual fuel idea??

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Golf Ed35

Mark,

A few chips are inevatable and I don't think I would pay 1K for film to protect the car. If you get a stone hit the film I assume it would tear or go throught it and this would look equally horrible and lead to more tears damage when washing?
      05-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

I'm not really a fan of these protection films. I had it on my 911 because it was already done but at 3 years old it was starting to lose its finish and looked a bit shabby in places. And although the stones had not penetrated the paint surface there were noticeable white marks on the film from the impacts (it was a black car). If you add the cost of removal and redoing it every few years, I'd rather just get the car painted to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #10
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep

Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II View Post

PS: Chrisbin - any news on the dual fuel idea??
...no mate....

Most likely route forward at the moment seems to be replacing the Treg with a 5 Tourer (which I will run) and then get another E92 for swmbo....325d could well be the answer then!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
en1gma
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10 520d M-Sport

using such film also makes any orange peel paint even more obvious... and painful to look at
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Z4M

I bought a DIY kit on ebay for $50 incl delivery (half bonnet/corner of wings and bumper) I fitted the bonnet today in just over an hour and it looks perfect. Quite fiddly but not impossible with a heat gun and a little patience.

At the price I`m not sure what the durability will be like but I`m off to the Ring next weekend and if it survives just that trip, I`ll be more than happy
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #13
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: Porsche 997 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
I'm not really a fan of these protection films. I had it on my 911 because it was already done but at 3 years old it was starting to lose its finish and looked a bit shabby in places. And although the stones had not penetrated the paint surface there were noticeable white marks on the film from the impacts (it was a black car). If you add the cost of removal and redoing it every few years, I'd rather just get the car painted to be honest.
I experienced the same on a 997, the OEM film got pitted and yellowed, BUT I can recommend Paintshield. They use a better quality film and I did not have any of the chipping/pitting/yellowing issues I experienced with the Porsche.

yes it was expensive, I just had the front bumper done, but it was a quality job and was barely noticeable. Once on it did an excellent job of protecting the paint, no chips managed to penetrate and I even managed to buff out a minor graze.

Only issue I had was the accumulation of wax/polish along the edges of the film. You just need to be careful when polishing and/or occassionally run a fingernail along the edge to remove the accumulated polish.
Appreciate 0