E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Removing a fine scratch

06-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
mgarvey
Lieutenant

Drives: F30 318d Sport

Removing a fine scratch

My car seems to have picked up a very fine but very long scratch (it goes from the front of the car to the back). If I was to guess I'd say it is likely to have been caused by a thorn on the spiky bush at the entrance to my drive.

What is the best way to remove this?

The scratch is very thin - I cannot get my fingernail in it. I'll try washing and polishing it tomorrow, but if that is ineffective what next?

The car is Monaco Blue so scratches show up rather badly unfortunately.
mgarvey is offline   United Kingdom
      06-15-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
Hoops
Brigadier General

Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)

Garage List
Ive used Scratch X before and that was pretty good.
Hoops is offline   United Kingdom
      06-15-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
neilmc
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

Scratch as above or if it is very fine autoglym super resin polish although this contains fillers so will partially mask it.If not it will easily go with some menzerna machine polishing compound on a hand applicator work in for about 4-5 minutes.Just rewax it afterwards as it will look slightly different to the rest of the panel without protection on it.If you cannot feel it with your nail it will come out.
neilmc is offline   United Kingdom
      06-15-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
m33porsche
Private First Class

Drives: Porsche 997 C2S

If inflicted by a thorn bush it's only going to be the clearcoat layer that's scratched rather than the paint. A quick machine polish will get this back to mint. If you haven't got a polisher it's really worth investing in one to spritz up the paint once in a while and also for remedial work like this. I'd recommend getting a UDM or meguiars G220, you can do it yourself and they are designed for novices so little/no danger of damaging the paint.
      06-15-2008, 04:27 AM   #5
roofer
Lieutenant

Drives: 335D M Saloon

Might help?

http://forum.bmwcarmagazine.com/view...hlight=claybar
roofer is offline   United Kingdom
      06-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
quattrogmbh
Captain

Drives: BMW

Depends how deep the scratch is. If your fingernail can get caught in it then it will be impossible to remove completely (would mean machining the clearcoat to a dangerously low level) If your fingernail doesnt get caught in it then it can easily be machine polished, ideally with a rotary as opposed to a Random Orbit, simply because the polish is broken down better. A rotary polisher isnt for a novice though. Per earlier posts, I wouldnt recommend purchasing any machine unless you are likely to use it more regularly. Take it to a recognised machine polishing expert. You'll find one local to you via http://www.detailingworld.com

all the best.
      06-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
mgarvey
Lieutenant

Drives: F30 318d Sport

Did a wash and polish today with bog standard Turtle Wax and elbow grease. Whilst the scratch has not totally gone it is a lot less noticeable - you have to get fairly close and be looking for it.

Unfortunately the act of polishing the car (which I don't do nearly enough due to total lack of time) has revealed all manner of other dinks, scratches and stone chips All normal wear and tear in these days of motorway commuting and ever-bigger cars in ever-smaller parking spaces, but annoying nonetheless.

Next stop Auto Glym I think, as covering them is fine given that I'm selling the car in October-ish, then maybe a professional valet/detail just before I sell it.

BTW, are the likes of ChipsAway any good for stone chips and miniscule dents?
mgarvey is offline   United Kingdom
      06-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #8
xenon
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
BTW, are the likes of ChipsAway any good for stone chips and miniscule dents?
Depends on the skill of the operator. I've used them before with very good results.
xenon is offline   England