E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Non-msport spring m3 sway bar droplinks

09-10-2022, 08:12 AM   #1
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Non-msport spring m3 sway bar droplinks

Hello all,

I have fitted the e92 M3 front sway bar. I'm at standard height SE suspension. I'm in the uk so I don't think it has the msport springs and it doesn't feel like it either.

The sway feels loose on the standard droplinks which are brand new. This only happens on broken surface asphalt or on ridges in the road. Only at low speed. At high speed it's fine. I have also replaced the sway bar bushes. When I remove the droplinks with the car on its wheels they come out easily like they has no preload.

I have new m3 arms already fitted. Koni special actives going on soon with new top mounts. I want to keep standards spring for comfort and ride height. The roads are awful where I live.

Is the e92 sway not going to play nice with the standard suspension or do I need different droplinks. Surely I need a different length droplink?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
As far as I know, the end links are the same across all non-M models:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0728

Did you use the M3 specific bushings and brackets? They clamp down on the bar very tightly compared to the standard set up, although I'm not sure if that would cause the issue as both M and non-M bars should be 26.5mm diameter. Also, if both front wheels are loaded equally then there should be no preload on the sway bar.

Perhaps installation issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fieri View Post
As far as I know, the end links are the same across all non-M models:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0728

Did you use the M3 specific bushings and brackets? They clamp down on the bar very tightly compared to the standard set up, although I'm not sure if that would cause the issue as both M and non-M bars should be 26.5mm diameter. Also, if both front wheels are loaded equally then there should be no preload on the sway bar.

Perhaps installation issue?
Yes I used the m3 clamps and bushes. Took it off and reinstalled twice. When I put new bushes in it helped. I also put the front m3 arms on at the same time. However it feels like the arb not loose but vibrating like it's taking initial load before the spring.

I just wondered if anyone else had the same issue.

I have new shocks and top mounts to go on. That should rule that out.

There's every chance it is something else. But it an unusual type of sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 07:04 PM   #4
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
For what it's worth, I'm also running an E92 M3 front sway bar on Sport suspension (not sure what the UK equivalent is, but they're D coded springs), standard end links and M3 control arms without issue. Hopefully you sort it out
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #5
Maxmax73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I've got a 28 mm bar with oe size Meily end links, they survived a few autocross events. So nothing should be / feel loose with M3 bar.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So I have installed koni special active shocks new top mounts, spring perch top and bottom. Still got the noise. But rides great.

I'm lost, I need to disconnect the roll bar and drive around.

It could be some other things. I have after market strut brace the could be vibrating at certain frequencies.

It sounds like something under tension that vibrates at certain frequencies of small bumps.

Any ideas on what else to check.
Appreciate 0