E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Impact of Automatic Car Washes on Klasse

05-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: E90 335i

Question Impact of Automatic Car Washes on Klasse

Hello people. I've only been poking around here for a while (been on Bimmerfest for a few months). Thought it was high time I joined officially, and I have a couple of questions:

I'm about to embark on a 20-plus hour detailing extravaganza on my business partner's 330i. We ED'd the cars in late March and his was just redelivered a few days ago. Like I did with mine last week, I'm going to wash, clay, Klasse AIO and Klasse SG (3 coats) his car over a three or four day span.

Whereas I would never think of sending any car I own through an automatic car wash, in about two weeks he will be down at the local swirl-o-matic (actually I believe this is one of the places that do a decent job).

Here (finally) are my questions: I will tell him not to add the "wax" option, but will the soap/water/etc. they use remove all of my hard work? Outside of telling him to stay way from the place, is there anything else he can do to preserve the sealant on the car?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks--Brian
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States

Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Wow, you are a much better person than I am. I don't think I will spend 20 hrs waxing my own car over the next few years of ownership and you will do this in one weekend on someone elses car! I probably spend 1 1/2 hrs waxing my car no more than twice per year.

But to answer your question, I use Klasse (AIO and SG, one coat each) and haven't had any problems with the car wash removing the protection. I go to a place that uses an automatic system to put the soap on my car, then they use wash mitts to manually wash the car. Then there you drive through an automatic "sprayer". I typically have my car washed 1-2 times per month and my Klasse still lasts about 7-9 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
E90Brian
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: E90 335i

CnoteMD--thanks for the info. That's good news indeed. Regarding going OCD on someone else's car, here's my defense: 1. The car is new and it's a BMW (I didn't do this when we were driving VW Passats), 2. Technically, the car is half mine (as it's a "company" car), 3. It's in for a tough life, so I want to start it out right. Weird, I know...
Appreciate 0