E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Chrome Tailpipe Installation

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY: Chrome Tailpipe Installation
nexus66
07-10-2005
These instructions are for a 6 cylinder exhaust, but the other exhaust types probably fit in exactly the same way!

This is a really easy DIY, the only tool you need is a flat head screwdriver, a clean cloth and about 5 minutes!! ...
By shragon on 01-15-2006, 10:30 PM
installed the 330i tips this past weekend. used two left sides (18-30-7-549-558). very easy, and looks very factory.
By FlyingFinn on 01-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMD1709
Yes, the part number is 18-30-7-549-558. They also list a "559" which is cut out for the exhaust flapper on the 330 (right side), not found on the 325. I just used 2 of the above part numbers. They worked fine, no screws needed as they fit on there pretty darn tight. They also run all the way to the muffler, so they look more "factory", since they are.

I have to say I like the ones with screws better. They are easy to take off for cleaning.
By yu on 02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I have a question: I installed my tips a while ago, but never really screwed the screws on tight. One day someone noticed that my tips were sticking out. I found out that the screws fell out. When I put the tips on, they come off really easily. What kind of screws exactly should I get for them?
By Chuck_IV on 04-05-2006, 08:13 PM
FYI, the ones I got didn't have flathead screws, they had #25 Torx screwheads on them. This is good cause it adds a tick of security since not everyone carries a torx head with them

I bought these from someone off E-Bay but they were authentic. Wondering if they were ones sold in Europe and not the US, since they had the torx screw and not the flathead screw.
By Barrie on 04-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Does anyone know if you can get a chrome tip for the 318d oval downturned exhaust?
By z3davis on 04-19-2006, 08:52 AM
I just got mine yesterday and they also were torx heads. Make friends with an employee at the dealership--they only cost me 44 total. There must be a heck of a markup on accessories.
By sajewiczmd on 04-19-2006, 04:11 PM
pacific bmw has great prices as you guys already know. i just ordered mine today, along with a few other things i don't need. if you order a few items, the high shipping costs are spread out enough to make the savings worthwhile....
By ajji on 05-02-2006, 02:29 AM
Hello all!

I am planning to order a 320d really soon. By default it comes with the downturned exhaust.
I would like to know if it's possible to add any chrome tips on this kind of exhaust?

Barrie did ask for that few post above but no one did reply yet.

As there is only on pipe (downturned) on the 320d I believe it might be quite complicated to have the same result as on the 330 did anyone knows if it would be possible and how much this would cost?

Here is a link I found for the 320d :
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...01&hg=18&fg=95

but apparently there are no options to have the same twin pipes as on 330 and as the pipe is downturned (no particule filter) it might not even be possible to add a exhaust tip...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by ajji; 05-03-2006 at 03:02 AM.
By wuufer001 on 05-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus66
These instructions are for a 6 cylinder exhaust, but the other exhaust types probably fit in exactly the same way!

This is a really easy DIY, the only tool you need is a flat head screwdriver, a clean cloth and about 5 minutes!!

The important thing to notice here is that the tailpipes have a slash cut to match the slash cut on the tailpipes of the exhaust. This can be seen on one of the photos below.

Push the first tailpipe onto one of the exhaust tailpipes until it won't go any further. Then rotate the tailpipe until the inside lip matches all the way round. On mine, this resulted in the small grub screw sitting at about the 5 o'clock position. You'll know it's in the correct position if you look inside the inner lip - your actual exhaust tailpipe will sit tightly against the lip.

Repeat for the other tailpipe.

Now tighten both grub screws all the way in.

Give the tailpipes a rub with the cloth to remove all your grubby fingerprints and stand back and admire the view!!
Hey nice instructions anyways, i tried fitting them on today and there was a small gap between the exhaust and the chrome pipes. I tried pushing them in more but it just stayed there and wouldn't move. i was able to see the gap when i was looking down on the inside of the tip. Is it mormal or what's wrong with it?
Thanks.
By nexus66 on 05-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001
Hey nice instructions anyways, i tried fitting them on today and there was a small gap between the exhaust and the chrome pipes. I tried pushing them in more but it just stayed there and wouldn't move. i was able to see the gap when i was looking down on the inside of the tip. Is it mormal or what's wrong with it?
Thanks.
Hi wuufer,
try twisting the tailpipe before tightening the screw. You should be able to get a nice fit. The problem is that the ends of the tailpipes is not cut at 90 degrees, it is a slash cut, but the oem chrome pipes should match the slash!
By Jibber on 05-26-2006, 08:07 PM
I just got mine and they are indeed torx. And Torx #25 (or whatever size) is pretty rare. Usually Torx is much smaller, for electronics. I'm going to try to find some small rubber washers before I install.
By dcm on 06-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Any idea were to get one in the UK?
By Hunter399 on 06-21-2006, 10:43 AM
This was my first mod....
By a_moux on 06-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuBimmer
I have a question: I installed my tips a while ago, but never really screwed the screws on tight. One day someone noticed that my tips were sticking out. I found out that the screws fell out. When I put the tips on, they come off really easily. What kind of screws exactly should I get for them?
If you lose one of the screws, all you have to do is compress the chrome tip a little bit and it will be held by friction. Too easy.
By cal99_99 on 09-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiloE90
I installed mine yesterday and they look great!...But I had a concern about the thieves in this world. They are easy to steal. All they have to do is unscrew the screw and pull off. So I went to Home Depot and bought the same screws but with hex heads so at least a regular screw driver cant take them off. Just an idea for security
when you install the tips, did u make the screw holes thru the original pipe?
By bmw4jh on 10-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Here we go:

I am a new poster but, I have been reading this forum for a while. I just installed the 330 tips in my 325. Attached are the pictures. Tomorrow, power outlet for the rear console...

J.H.
Attached Images

By Phila on 10-27-2006, 02:37 AM
I just put the 330 tips (18-30-7-549-558) on my 325 and I think they look great. Heres a few views that I don't think anybody's posted before. (click the pics for bigger images. I was trying to be nice to te 56kers.) As everyone says, you just slide them right on. No tools necessary!

Heres the tips before installation:

Heres a view of the inside, see the metal things? That's how the tips clamp on tight to your exhaust w/o the need for screws:

One on and one tip off to demonstrate the differences in size and luster :
By dongbimmer on 11-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Just got mine from Crown. Planning loctite 242 with hex set screw.
By Not Ur Avg 3 on 11-18-2006, 01:42 AM
wat is the size for the stock 325i tips
is it like
2x70mm?
are they 70mm in diameter?
cuz i just ordered eisenamnn race quads and they dont come chrom tipped, plus wit the chrome tips it looks bigger
just wanted to know if the 330i chrome tips will fit the quads
if the bmw stock tips are 2x70mm, than im good, cuz the quads are 4x70mm...
lemme know
By wuufer001 on 11-19-2006, 04:51 AM
not chrome tipped? don't really know about that cause i've always thought it was chromed like the pics you see on websites and also has the name engraved on. All the ones i seen doesn't seem if they have been covered by extra tips. Might wanna make sure. i'm not really sure though.
By Neon21db on 11-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Anyone know what chrome tips will fit an E92 328xi?
By JIMD1709 on 11-21-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm still trying to find an exact answer to this.
Comment