E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SpyPix--BMW 335d in Final U.S. Tests (282 hp / 428 lb-ft)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #45
hotrod2448
grand poobah
hotrod2448's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
f*** the advertised mpg, i only get <18 mpg driving 15 miles hwy and 5 miles local, what's up with that? what's the advertised mpg for 335i? 20 local and 30 hwy
Think it might have something to do with the way you drive?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #46
mapezzul
Special Agent
mapezzul's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,737
Posts

 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
It doesn"t really offer a substantial MPG advantage over normal petrol so whats the point?
That is yet to be seen. The preliminary estimates are very low for a reason.... BMW did not want to go through the whole debacle VW just did, VW overestimated and when the official EPA numbers came out they did not jive so VW paid and independent to reevaluate the numbers (Jetta TDI) and test in the real world.... VW got the number they wanted but had to pay a lot for it.

If you take the real world data from the web, UK/EU numbers (not estimated EPA style) and calculate it for the US mile per US gallon, you will be surprised at how good the REAL numbers are (33+) and compare them the real world 335i numbers (~20). To me that is a difference....

Last edited by mapezzul; 07-08-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #47
cooldude
Lieutenant
cooldude's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
519
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

that torque is totally useless on our roads if driven legally.
that torque can take you from 60 to 80 in 1 second and sadly the speed limits are going down to 55
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #48
mapezzul
Special Agent
mapezzul's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,737
Posts

 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
that torque is totally useless on our roads if driven legally.
that torque can take you from 60 to 80 in 1 second and sadly the speed limits are going down to 55
or the torque can be used to provide more efficient gearing rather than just for speed!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #49
simnew
Private First Class
1
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E91 LCI 330d SE Auto
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Don't know where someone got those fuel consumption figures from - I get a minimum of 34 mpg based on a very short journey whilst the engine is warming up to mid 40's on a longer run. And that is with an auto (which is pretty efficient these days). 23 is way too low for town.... and 33 is nothing like represenative of highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #50
535desire
Private First Class
2
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: MB & VW diesels
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Another thing to note when comparing fuel economy of newer cars to old- the EPA has changed their technique for calculating estimated FE. This will impact all vehicles. The good news is that if you try, you can easily beat their estimates.

I'd wager you could get close to 40 mpg on the highway with the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #51
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,548
Posts

 
Drives: stock
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Think it might have something to do with the way you drive?
i barely rev pass 4000 rpm
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #52
EuroTrip
BMW FAN
EuroTrip's Avatar
10
Rep
693
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT ZCP Mineral Wt
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Personal Experience 335d

I have driven this car on the track at BMW driving experience. I noticed it right away because it had euro front headlights, I almost ripped them off!!! J/K!
It was a bit louder than I thought, but it was definately fast.
I would say its 90% of the 335i in acceleration.
It makes the typical diesel acceleration noise and has the same minimal lag as the 335i.
I personally would rather have the diesel, because of the added fuel economy. The class directly after the driving experience told us it would get 30% better gas mileage and 26% less emissions.

I also had the opportunity to drive the X5 3.0d. That was pretty awesome as well. It was as fast as the 4.8is for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #53
535desire
Private First Class
2
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: MB & VW diesels
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
BTW, what's BMW's stance on bio-diesel?
taking a guess here, but the way the other German automakers have been toward ASTM biodiesel, it would be surprising if BMW allowed more than 5%.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #54
535desire
Private First Class
2
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: MB & VW diesels
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
...If you take the real world data from the web, UK/EU numbers (not estimated EPA style) and calculate it for the US mile per US gallon, you will be surprised at how good the REAL numbers are (33+) and compare them the real world 335i numbers (~20).....
bingo
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #55
calleballe
ExPAt
calleballe's Avatar
6
Rep
491
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Planet Earth - U.S.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
I'd like to see us get the new 3.0 liter diesel debuting in the new F01 7 series here. I believe it is the more fuel efficient, single turbo version but is now making 245hp instead of 225hp. I think this would be more ideal for the 3-series, would be cheaper to buy up front, and would show better fuel economy than the 335d. i'd imagine this 245hp version of the engine will be in the new 330d following the face lift.

ideally however, I wish that the 323d would make it here to North America. 2.0 liter, 4-cylinder, twin-turbo diesel with 204hp and 300 ft-lbs of torque. And very frugal. This would be the engine for me!
The 320d and 325d (as it is called in europe, same as the above) would make a lot of sense to most. When gas hits $6-7/gallon, people will rush for cars like that.
__________________
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"

Current cars
BMW 328i (to become sth else)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #56
calleballe
ExPAt
calleballe's Avatar
6
Rep
491
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Planet Earth - U.S.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
I drove it at training and also drive the X5 with the diesel. It was nice but not worth the approx 2500-3000 cost over the TT 6 cylinder. In the X5 on the other hand it makes sense. The X5 is actually quicker with this motor than the gas engine and gets better mileage. The X5 with that motor was amazing to drive I was extremly impressed with it. How can you beat it, more HP that the 3.0si gas engine and more torque than the V8 with the mileage os a 4 cyl SUV. It makes a lot more sense in the X5 that the 3 series to me and after driving both extensively on the track and on the road that point was more obvious to me.

Agree, get us the X6 35d and the 3 series with the 320d.
__________________
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"

Current cars
BMW 328i (to become sth else)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #57
Lassaxi
Major
Lassaxi's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbec View Post
Lassaxi---why would you not notice the extra torque in the 335d? My 335i has 300LB-FT. How could you not notice another 125 LB-FT in a car that weighs about the same---especially when already cruising on the open road.
I 'm thinkin this car will crack your head back from 50-80mph especially with the 7 speed DCT. More torque than a 550i, more than an M3! Yikes! More torque, gotta like that-and throw in better mileage. Sounds great!
YMMV

Malbec
I didn't say you wouldn't notice the extra torque in the 335, but it's a bigger deal in the heavier X5. The 335d is going to pull damn hard down low, but the 335i doesn't really have a problem with feeling sluggish off the line. The higher HP in the 335i is beneficial because that car is relatively light, and is better poised to take advantage of gearing.

The X5 is a much heavier vehicle, and needs more oomph to get moving off the line. An X5 3.0 feels somewhat sluggish, and needs a heavy foot to feel responsive. It's much more lively with the V8 engine (which has great HP and torque), but you pay a significant fuel economy penalty for the V8. The torquey diesel engine is going to make a heavy car like the X5 feel much more lively in everyday driving without incurring the same mileage penalty as the V8 gas engine.

The 335d will gain a similar benefit, but it's comparator, the 335i, is already fast, powerful, and reasonably efficient. The X5's comparators are either sluggish (in 6-cyl form) or inefficient (in V8 form), which means that the diesel engine will be a more compelling option in the X5 than in the 3er. I think Alpine6speed's exactly right- if you drove all four cars back to back (335i, 335d, X5 3.0si and X5 35d), you'd probably find the diesel to be a more compelling option in the X5 than the 3er.
__________________
May 3, '07European Delivery, Redelivered on 6/11/07 - Monaco Blue/Beige, Steptronic, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, iDrive/Navi with RTTI, Logic 7, Xenons, HD Radio
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #58
malbec
roving hedonist
United_States
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e90 Silver/blk
Join Date: May 2007
Location: S.F. Peninsula

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassaxi View Post
I didn't say you wouldn't notice the extra torque in the 335, but it's a bigger deal in the heavier X5. The 335d is going to pull damn hard down low, but the 335i doesn't really have a problem with feeling sluggish off the line. The higher HP in the 335i is beneficial because that car is relatively light, and is better poised to take advantage of gearing.

The X5 is a much heavier vehicle, and needs more oomph to get moving off the line. An X5 3.0 feels somewhat sluggish, and needs a heavy foot to feel responsive. It's much more lively with the V8 engine (which has great HP and torque), but you pay a significant fuel economy penalty for the V8. The torquey diesel engine is going to make a heavy car like the X5 feel much more lively in everyday driving without incurring the same mileage penalty as the V8 gas engine.

The 335d will gain a similar benefit, but it's comparator, the 335i, is already fast, powerful, and reasonably efficient. The X5's comparators are either sluggish (in 6-cyl form) or inefficient (in V8 form), which means that the diesel engine will be a more compelling option in the X5 than in the 3er. I think Alpine6speed's exactly right- if you drove all four cars back to back (335i, 335d, X5 3.0si and X5 35d), you'd probably find the diesel to be a more compelling option in the X5 than the 3er.
Lassaxi--I have driven the 3.0 X5--and it is indeed not very exciting--I cannot imagine it loaded with passengers and cargo--so I agree with you that the diesel will really enliven that truck. And as far as mileage compared to the V8-the diesel will surely come out on top.

I am already in love with my 335i's low down pull and what I feel is a very creamy mid-range. I really do not miss the V-8's I came out of. What I am most enticed by is the idea of all that torque and the 7 speed DCT---I really wonder if the diesel will be that much heavier--does anyone know the weight?-since i do a lot of highway cruising the combo of strong-mid-range torque and the fuel savings are appealing to me. I am very interested in driving these cars back to back. (Of course I would love either powerplant in the E91 in a perfect world-but that;s just me.)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #59
darkcloud
Colonel
darkcloud's Avatar
United_States
73
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
that torque is totally useless on our roads if driven legally.
that torque can take you from 60 to 80 in 1 second and sadly the speed limits are going down to 55
Like either of those factors have ever stopped anyone

I don't see all speed limits dropping to 55. It just won't fly. It will only happen if they pull one of those buried votes. Kinda like how they passed all the non-smoking bans. You really want part of the vote to pass but are impartial about the other (non-smoking or 55mph limit), at least that's how Ohio likes to pass their laws.
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #60
BlackJetE90
Colonel
35
Rep
2,497
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
I drove it at training and also drive the X5 with the diesel. It was nice but not worth the approx 2500-3000 cost over the TT 6 cylinder.
Didn't know pricing was released.

What is the msrp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
I love the idea but with diesel costing more than regular gas and the fact that the diesel version doesn't get that much better mileage might hurt sales for his model.
335d 23-city 33-highway

335i 17-city 26-highway

Uk site

335d 31-kph combined

335i 42.2-kph combined


335d is about ~27% more efficient.

Also Co2 emissions it way lower.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #61
Lassaxi
Major
Lassaxi's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbec View Post
What I am most enticed by is the idea of all that torque and the 7 speed DCT---I really wonder if the diesel will be that much heavier--does anyone know the weight?-since i do a lot of highway cruising the combo of strong-mid-range torque and the fuel savings are appealing to me. I am very interested in driving these cars back to back. (Of course I would love either powerplant in the E91 in a perfect world-but that;s just me.)
Good questions. I'm not sure what the weight will be, but I too look forward to driving them both. Frankly, I'm excited about anything that improves efficiency without compromising power, and am very happy to see BMW bring a petrol alternative to the US. I too would love to see a diesel in the E91 (and the E61 for that matter).
__________________
May 3, '07European Delivery, Redelivered on 6/11/07 - Monaco Blue/Beige, Steptronic, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, iDrive/Navi with RTTI, Logic 7, Xenons, HD Radio
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #62
voltron1011
Colonel
voltron1011's Avatar
44
Rep
2,912
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (2)

BlackJetE90, thanks for breaking down the economy info... I was going to do it, however I was a bit too lazy to look it up
__________________
'06 E90 325i (Delivered May '05) 6-spd manual, Nav, Xenons, 18' 162's, sport-suspension, 15mm RE spacers,
NURBURGRING:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3270
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #63
200Duece
Colonel
200Duece's Avatar
26
Rep
2,552
Posts

 
Drives: '73 2002,'12 X5 35d,'12 335 SL
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A Whale's Vagina, Ca

iTrader: (5)

[quote=

As with the 335i gasoline engine, BMW will use two turbochargers--a small, low-pressure turbo to aid low-end acceleration and a more potent turbo to help at higher engine speeds. Acceleration for the 335d is expected be around 6.2-seconds to sixty, while fuel consumption will likely yield 23 mpg city and 33 mpg highway.

.[/QUOTE]

So they are not running the same twin turbo setup. they are going to run a sequential, small feeding big or the small one disengages when the larger one spools up?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #64
idyll
Private First Class
1
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Acceleration for the 335d is expected be around 6.2-seconds to sixty, while fuel consumption will likely yield 23 mpg city and 33 mpg highway.
My 328i gets similar acceleration and mpg figures. Probably cheaper to fill up and purchase, too.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #65
BlackJetE90
Colonel
35
Rep
2,497
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: e90

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idyll View Post
My 328i gets similar acceleration and mpg figures. Probably cheaper to fill up and purchase, too.
Not really.

328i - 18/28 mpg

Not mention the 335d Co2 emission is way less.

The 6.2 seconds is 0-62 not 0-60.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #66
voltron1011
Colonel
voltron1011's Avatar
44
Rep
2,912
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Not really.

328i - 18/28 mpg

Not mention the 335d Co2 emission is way less.

The 6.2 seconds is 0-62 not 0-60.
Not to mention the MOUNTAIN of torque that's on tap from the 335d...
__________________
'06 E90 325i (Delivered May '05) 6-spd manual, Nav, Xenons, 18' 162's, sport-suspension, 15mm RE spacers,
NURBURGRING:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3270
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST