E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > NEED HELP: aux faint audio/passenger speaker only

11-09-2022, 01:44 AM   #1
reggiefu
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328xi

NEED HELP: aux faint audio/passenger speaker only

Tonight i took on a new project installing a toggle/kill switch for my screen/radio. The reason for this is because i have a retrofit screen with carplay/android auto. and when my phone misses the connection, it freezes on the "connecting" screen and i have to turn the car off to reset everything. and if i miss the connection again. i have to turn the car off again to reset etc. Needless to say, its gotten pretty annoying so radio kill switch it is! this way i can flip the switch off/ on again to reset the connection to the bluetooth without pulling over and pissing off anyone in the car with me.

Although great in theory, ive run into my current problem. ive read a TON on the forums. but cant seem to find the right fix.
As the title says. My aux audio sounds like its in a hallway with a lot of reverb. you could say there is no bass or mid's or missing the beat/vocals. depending on what im listening to. But its only the aux. FM/AM is fine, CD sounds fine, Just AUX comes out of passenger side speaker only and sounds like your listening to it down a hall or under water.

1. I checked all connections from the back of the radio harness.(everything seemed ok)
2. Checked aftermarket harness (everything seemed ok but this is where i spliced into the yellow power wire (pin out 15) same as stock harness for the toggle switch((splitting the yellow wire in the middle of the aftermarket harness and running one end from the radio side to the toggle power1, then running the other side of the same wire to toggle power2 and grounding it out to the chassis for copper prong3
3. Checked the aux connection with 3 different cables (made no difference)
4. tried stock harness. everything was fine but obviously no screen and no bluetooth to try out sound quality.
5. i am running an aftermarket amp for my sub (they have been on the car for 3 years with no problems) and my carplay screen has been on the car for over a year without incident. in fact, i havent had any problems with sound quality until tonight after i hooked everything back up. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

also a side thought, could the yellow wire be causing the problem? should i be using a fuse wire somewhere between connections? or a different 12+?

The whole idea was to be able to cut the power to the screen while driving and turn it back on (reset) but instead i settled for the power to the headunit (which is powering the screen via piggyback harness) so it cuts off both.Name:  nov e90 radio install.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  795.3 KB

Name:  nov e90 radio 1.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  278.0 KB

Name:  nov interior e90.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  728.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 12:46 PM   #2
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Quote:
when my phone misses the connection, it freezes on the "connecting" screen
Look for android SW update. For example here
Fix the root problem.

When i had freeze issue with carplay an update fixed freezing issue.
Basically reloading newer ROM on the android that has newer/more phones support.

Aux is bad, it will never sound decent. Especially from the outdated dsp chips on android screens.
But in your case it seems like connection issue somewhere. It should produce some bass, some mids and barely any highs + the soundstage is somewhere in the "basement" = or just muddy. I gave up on AUX and am using Optical (digital) for HU input now.

When doing the install i had too much tension on the Android screen cable. Over time vibration broke one pin and degraded audio out (aux in this context) signal significantly.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 11-17-2022 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Aux input is crap on all BMW system's .
If you start with the amp less tweeter less base system which is crap
go through the aux then you have crap raised to the infinite power .

The comment from Captain Bummer can be expanded in that the base system and Hi Fi
System can't produce any bass on there own and distort badly when turned up do to the
low power outputs of the Head unit or Hi Fi amp.

The following link talks about the lengths people have gone to to
fix it. (With little success)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984

Lots of people come on hear complaining about the sound quality from these things.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-17-2022 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 05:57 PM   #4
reggiefu
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328xi

So the yellow wire I cut in the harness was the problem. I'm not sure exactly why. But it twas what it twas. Ended up buying a new head unit. And of course why not upgrade right? I'll post some pics for kicks soon.
Appreciate 0