E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My new car (to be bought in august): 330d or 320d?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2006, 08:19 AM   #23
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
1
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E91 320d
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Well, the 330d has alot more power and more torque. If you do alot of driving in open roads, where you can use the power then I think it's worth it. Cars however, are an expense. If you are happy with a 320d, and you think it has enough power - there isn't much more enjoyment in a 330d. Rather take the spare money, invest it and in 4 years time you could be buying something alot nicer.

Alternatively, take the extra money - take yourself overseas, or buy a camera or use it to buy some goodies for the car.

Clearly it seems it's not down to money - in my case it was, as a 330d was 1/3 more expensive than a 320d making it way out of budget (R100 000more). I'm very happy with my 320d, it's such a fun car.

I leave it planted in 4th, and just cruise. When I see a nice sweeping bend, tap the accelerator and let the torque pull me through the corner. There isn't a better feeling. (Ok ok maybe revving that straight six to 7000rpm, but we are talking tractors here)

Do you actually feel a push in the back if you accelerate in 4th gear? What speeds are you talking about then? I have the impression mine is just slow in 4th and 5th (even in 3rd under 2500-3000 rpm).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #24
dtelle
Private First Class
1
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 320d Touring still in making..
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: HH, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant
If you can afford the extra € on the purchase and the taxes, I would go with the 330d. I drive a 320d Touring and am not that impressed at all with the performance... Especially in 3th and 4th it is a bit of a lame car... You need to shift down and rev it up to the redline in order to keep up with others. I still think there is something wrong with my car (failing turbo pressure???) but my father in law (who has been a car mechanic all his life) drove it and said it is fine and that it only needs to loosen up a bit more (even after 18.000km...).
are you sure thqt you have the 163ps variant of the 320d in BElgium??
DOn't forgot that there are a lot of 320d 150ps (E90-E91); like the 330d with 211PS (in order to keep lower taxes). I don't think that a car running from 0 to 100 km\h in 8,3s and with a top speed of 225 km/h is a lame car even if a 330d will impress a 320d driver....
__________________
320d Touring, Jet Black Uni II, Lemon Leather....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
European320d
New Member
Belgium
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320d Tasman (2008)
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brussels

iTrader: (0)

Hi guys,

thanks for all these answers: great advise!

But... the biggest thank you goes to 'Senninho': I went to Jean-Michel Martin this afternoon in Brussels, and WAAAAAAOOOOOOW.... what a car that Alpina D3 !!!!!!!

The friendly sales person showed me the car in the basement, it was absolutely fabulous. This will most likely be the car I'll buy in August. I will testdrive it in the next few days, but I really like the look of this car.

I would either buy it in the SG color or in the Alpina blue. The interior is amazing with special wood trim and Alpina logo's etc. The 18" Alpina wheels look superb. The full price would be just above 40.000 euro's which is within my budget.

Again many thanks for your answers... this D3 seems the perfect car for me.

Werner
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #26
thebigman
Private First Class
thebigman's Avatar
Scotland
1
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: E90 320d SE
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

D3...simply excellent choice.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 04:46 PM   #27
Paul330d
Torque junky
Paul330d's Avatar
France
34
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: Remapped e90 330d
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: France (UK expat)

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330d  [0.00]
2005 Fiat Panda 4x4  [0.00]
That's great if you have found what you are looking for. Glad this forum was of help However, I just looked at the Belgian BMW site & saw you can get a 330d with 18" wheels for just over €40K, too... and that's before any discount the dealer might be willing to offer you (I negotiated 17% off mine).

Just when you thought you had made your mind up ...
Attached Images
 
__________________
www.greenkeepers.fr - spécialiste des tondeuses à gazon hélicoïdales atco qualcast ransomes lawnflite
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #28
James Bond
Sheer Driving & Biking Pleasure
James Bond's Avatar
Germany
4
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 318ti compact E36
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: southern Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtelle
DOn't forgot that there are a lot of 320d 150ps (E90-E91); like the 330d with 211PS (in order to keep lower taxes).
You certainly mean the Fleet-Edition, don´t you!? That can be good
possible, so the owner hasn´t got the same power and feeling with his lower
320d.
__________________
"...we´re from Bavaria, it´s near Germany..."
Greets, Flo Mountainbike: CUBE Stereo
EX-CAR´S: Ford Fiesta 1.1 | Nissan Primera 1.6 SLX | 318ti-E46 | 320dT-E46-FL | 120d E87-Pre-FL | Skoda O² Combi 2.0TDI Elegance | 325CiA E46-Pre-FL | Ford Focus I Turnier Sport TDCi
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 03:28 AM   #29
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
1
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E91 320d
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtelle
are you sure thqt you have the 163ps variant of the 320d in BElgium??
DOn't forgot that there are a lot of 320d 150ps (E90-E91); like the 330d with 211PS (in order to keep lower taxes). I don't think that a car running from 0 to 100 km\h in 8,3s and with a top speed of 225 km/h is a lame car even if a 330d will impress a 320d driver....

I am absolutely certain it is the 163ps version I have (at least, that it what I explicitly ordered and what my grey card says...). It is not the acceleration from 0 to 100 or the top speed that is bothering me, but the acceleration in 3rd, 4th and 5th at, say, 2.000 or 2.500 rpm (i.e. the accelerations you often use in every day traffic). I have to wait until 3.000 rpm before I can really feel it "going".

I guess I will take it to my dealer and drive with another 320d there in order to see if there is any difference or to have the real output tested...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 03:59 AM   #30
James Bond
Sheer Driving & Biking Pleasure
James Bond's Avatar
Germany
4
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 318ti compact E36
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: southern Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
@vant: Perhaps you´ve got problems with the air-flow sensor,
if it doesn´t work correct, the engine often runs better only in a higher rotation of it.
Also the turbo-charger could it be.
You weren´t at your dealer, do you?
__________________
"...we´re from Bavaria, it´s near Germany..."
Greets, Flo Mountainbike: CUBE Stereo
EX-CAR´S: Ford Fiesta 1.1 | Nissan Primera 1.6 SLX | 318ti-E46 | 320dT-E46-FL | 120d E87-Pre-FL | Skoda O² Combi 2.0TDI Elegance | 325CiA E46-Pre-FL | Ford Focus I Turnier Sport TDCi
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 04:24 AM   #31
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
1
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E91 320d
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond
@vant: Perhaps you´ve got problems with the air-flow sensor,
if it doesn´t work correct, the engine often runs better only in a higher rotation of it.
Also the turbo-charger could it be.
You weren´t at your dealer, do you?
No, I wasn't, but the more I think about it (and read about it here), the more I am convinced that I should go quickly... Thanks for the info James Bond, I will keep it in mind if I talk to my dealer!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 05:01 AM   #32
Thomas
Second Lieutenant
Thomas's Avatar
Netherlands
6
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: May 2005
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Alpina D3 great choice!! If you can read german, check www.automotorundsport.de there's a single-test of a Alpina D3..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 05:56 AM   #33
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,832
Posts

 
Drives: bmw e90 320d
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: gibraltar(europe)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
im very happy with my 320d as its fast fun and very economical
__________________
e90 320d,arktis,lumber support, hifi speaker, alarm, dakota beige, 162 18", xenon with washer spray,window chrome trimmings, professional radio, 6 cd changer wood trimmings
6 speed manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 06:01 AM   #34
James Bond
Sheer Driving & Biking Pleasure
James Bond's Avatar
Germany
4
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 318ti compact E36
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: southern Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
@vant: No problem, if I can give tips, I´ll do it. The best thing, you´ll
drive together with an mechanic from your dealer, because you write, it´s
always happening while driving. So he can see better and give his opinion, what´s wrong with your 320d.
How did you post it all, it´s definitive not normal, perhaps it´s a quite other
thing, which isn´t okay.
__________________
"...we´re from Bavaria, it´s near Germany..."
Greets, Flo Mountainbike: CUBE Stereo
EX-CAR´S: Ford Fiesta 1.1 | Nissan Primera 1.6 SLX | 318ti-E46 | 320dT-E46-FL | 120d E87-Pre-FL | Skoda O² Combi 2.0TDI Elegance | 325CiA E46-Pre-FL | Ford Focus I Turnier Sport TDCi
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 07:53 AM   #35
dtelle
Private First Class
1
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 320d Touring still in making..
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: HH, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond
You certainly mean the Fleet-Edition, don´t you!? That can be good
possible, so the owner hasn´t got the same power and feeling with his lower
320d.

I don't know if it is called the fleet-edition. But for example in Belgium with a 2.0L over 110kw, you will pay more taxes (not so much, but nevertheless). So BMW offers a e90-91 320d with 150ps instead of 163ps (it is the new engine anyway not the old 2.0d from the E46).

For sure all rent car or fleet-car have this engine variant in Belgium

But if the registration paper said 120kw.....
I think something is wrong with his car. because the 110kw have anyway the same torque, they just have remap the engine in the high rpm range in order to lower the power. And from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm, you have the max torque, so it is not normal if he need to go over 3000rpm to have the max acceleration.

Otherwise i was also thinking about the D3 (touring) but they didn't offer diplomatic price...
__________________
320d Touring, Jet Black Uni II, Lemon Leather....
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #36
graeme320d
Ecosse!
graeme320d's Avatar
France
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: E91 320d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Marseille

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1991 E30 M3  [0.00]
2006 E91 320d  [0.00]
I bought a 320d 6 weeks ago and have just completed an enjoyable 1200km round trip to Italy from France taking in all sorts of roads - mountains / autoroutes etc. The 320d was impressive in many ways often accelerating in 4th with excellent torque. Sure the 330d would be faster but with the price of diesel here in Europe increasing and the frequency of speed cameras also increasing my money is to stick with the 320d.
__________________
'06 E91: Sapphire Black / Pack Luxe / Dakota Beige / Burr Walnut / iDrive Navigation Professional / Twin Tracker / PDC
'06 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 / ABS / Aero Screen / Colour Matched Mirrors / Heated Grips
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #37
dtelle
Private First Class
1
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 320d Touring still in making..
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: HH, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme320d
I bought a 320d 6 weeks ago and have just completed an enjoyable 1200km round trip to Italy from France taking in all sorts of roads - mountains / autoroutes etc. The 320d was impressive in many ways often accelerating in 4th with excellent torque. Sure the 330d would be faster but with the price of diesel here in Europe increasing and the frequency of speed cameras also increasing my money is to stick with the 320d.

Hehe for sure our "Sarko" did a "great" job with speed cameras....
During last WE, i was back in North France and driving along the university where i was Student somes years ago (Junction A1-A2-A25 near Lille) i had just a few second to understand why i was alone on the left line, driving 140 km/h...
It was a beautifull curve....but now no way to drive over 90 km/h..
10 kms later, once more a new camera....:mad:
Do like me: Move to Germany
__________________
320d Touring, Jet Black Uni II, Lemon Leather....
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #38
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
1
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E91 320d
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtelle
I don't know if it is called the fleet-edition. But for example in Belgium with a 2.0L over 110kw, you will pay more taxes (not so much, but nevertheless). So BMW offers a e90-91 320d with 150ps instead of 163ps (it is the new engine anyway not the old 2.0d from the E46).

For sure all rent car or fleet-car have this engine variant in Belgium

But if the registration paper said 120kw.....
I think something is wrong with his car. because the 110kw have anyway the same torque, they just have remap the engine in the high rpm range in order to lower the power. And from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm, you have the max torque, so it is not normal if he need to go over 3000rpm to have the max acceleration.

Otherwise i was also thinking about the D3 (touring) but they didn't offer diplomatic price...

It is not explicitly called "fleet edition" but as you said, most (if not all) fleet cars will only have 150ps (but the same torque of 340Nm). The difference tax-wise is the one time tax you need to pay to put the car into circulation (BIV). For a car up to 110kw the BIV is EUR 867, for a car up to 120kw it is EUR 1,239.

The same "trick" is applied to the 330d. You have a "Belgian" version of 211ps/155kw. The 211 version will cost EUR 2,478 on BIV (the same will be true for an Alpina D3 with 200ps), the 231 version EUR 4,957.

Just to illustrate why there are indeed a lot of "downsized" cars in Belgium. For the BIV you can save you can buy some nice options. Still... I chose the 163ps...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #39
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
1
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E91 320d
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme320d
I bought a 320d 6 weeks ago and have just completed an enjoyable 1200km round trip to Italy from France taking in all sorts of roads - mountains / autoroutes etc. The 320d was impressive in many ways often accelerating in 4th with excellent torque. Sure the 330d would be faster but with the price of diesel here in Europe increasing and the frequency of speed cameras also increasing my money is to stick with the 320d.
Graeme, what rpm/speed were you accelerating at in 4th? Did you feel the push in the back? Before my E91, I drove an Alfa 147 1.9JTD with 115ps and 285Nm of torque and it felt a lot faster at low to intermediate revs in 3rd and 4th.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #40
vant
Enlisted Member
Belgium
1
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E91 320d
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme320d
I bought a 320d 6 weeks ago and have just completed an enjoyable 1200km round trip to Italy from France taking in all sorts of roads - mountains / autoroutes etc. The 320d was impressive in many ways often accelerating in 4th with excellent torque. Sure the 330d would be faster but with the price of diesel here in Europe increasing and the frequency of speed cameras also increasing my money is to stick with the 320d.
Graeme, what rpm/speed were you accelerating at in 4th? Did you feel the push in the back? Before my E91, I drove an Alfa 147 1.9JTD with 115ps and 285Nm of torque and it felt a lot faster at low to intermediate revs in 3rd and 4th.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #41
dtelle
Private First Class
1
Rep
130
Posts

 
Drives: 320d Touring still in making..
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: HH, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vant
It is not explicitly called "fleet edition" but as you said, most (if not all) fleet cars will only have 150ps (but the same torque of 340Nm). The difference tax-wise is the one time tax you need to pay to put the car into circulation (BIV). For a car up to 110kw the BIV is EUR 867, for a car up to 120kw it is EUR 1,239.

The same "trick" is applied to the 330d. You have a "Belgian" version of 211ps/155kw. The 211 version will cost EUR 2,478 on BIV (the same will be true for an Alpina D3 with 200ps), the 231 version EUR 4,957.

Just to illustrate why there are indeed a lot of "downsized" cars in Belgium. For the BIV you can save you can buy some nice options. Still... I chose the 163ps...
I know My car is registred in Belgium...originally i wanted a 330d (but without leather and extra because of the budget...). It is my first car bought and registred in Belgium, so when the dealer started to speak about the TMC...i "downsized" to a 320d. ...I have no regret at all, because i put my money on somes extra and in my lemon interior and since i am driving a lot (wife in Belgium, my job in Germany...), i really appreciate the 320d and his consumption


I drived also a 147 JTD 115PS in the past, it is truth that the torque at lower rpm was quite impressive (compare to the 140ps version) but after 3000 rpm, it was the end
__________________
320d Touring, Jet Black Uni II, Lemon Leather....
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST