E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R Sway Bars

07-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
335ievo
Your'e gonna learrrrrrnn tooooday

Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M Sport EB

H&R Sway Bars

Hey guys,

My previous car was an evo9 and I had a rear swaybar on it and it the handling was amazing. I would like to get a sway bar too on my e90 335i but don't know if i should get front, rear, both since this is a RWD car. I know for evos, the front sway bar wasn't really necessary.

Anybody want to chime in?
335ievo is offline   United_States
      07-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW Duh

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
If you are going to do just one sway bar, I would do the rear so you can dial out the understeer that is characteristic of the car from the factory. This way you will get a more neutral and even slightly over steer prone vehicle.

With that said, if you have the budget, I recommend getting the front and rear sways for a more balanced setup. You will notice a much crisper turn in and the vehicle will stay planted throughout the corner.

H&R is a great choice, it's what I recommend to everyone for a sway bar upgrade. We carry both the front and rears for your car so let me know if you need any help.
      07-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Ron@Modbargains

Drives: 996TT/ae86

Send a message via AIM to Ron@Modbargains
Well when you had your EVO you wanted to create oversteer - cause the car has a lot of understeer - so You did rear sways.

Let me make it simple -

put just the rears - you'll create more oversteer
put just the fronts - you'll create more understeer

So now you have a BMW - a 50/50 weight distribution car with RWD (It wants to oversteer - but has inherently some understeer). Why is understeer important to - it lets us know the to slow down are the car won't turn the car as well(Manufacturers build this into the car). Is it bad? Not really it lets you know where to get the perfect grip and get around the turn as qickly. With oversteering you can easily correct (if you are an experienced driver, most people are not) but its not the fastest way around a corner.

So what would be considered perfect - a car that lets all four corners simultaneously a be neutral setting.

So how do you go about doing that? you'll most likely want a front and rear sway thats also adjustable (sways make up for the amount of lean and roll, creating a flatter cornering attitude). Adjust ability will allow you to dial in the handling attitude of the car - the UUC sways are adjustable, which is nice.

The H&R Sways also have a good thickness's over the factory ones but aren't adjustable.

I hope that helped answer your question, and welcome to E90post world, I am sure some other members will come in and help. Suspension settings are a bit different goal wise from the EVO's all wheel drive, besides part of the fun of a BMW is doing a power slide
Ron@Modbargains is offline   United_States
      07-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

335ievo, I would advise against adding a thicker rear swaybar (even if you do put a thicker one up front).

A thicker rear sway will "join" the axles more and with an open diff 335i, it will mean wheelspin city.

I paid $150 for the rear bar. $500 to install it since you have to drop the subframe.

I disliked it so much, I paid $500 to remove it.
      07-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
ra2fanatic
Lieutenant General

Drives: '08 AW E92 335i

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ra2fanatic
the best is to get both sways....kno someone that has both and loves them. u cant go wrong w/ more control and tighter turn-in.

Camden S...Stg4
ra2fanatic is offline   United_States
      07-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
335ievo, I would advise against adding a thicker rear swaybar (even if you do put a thicker one up front).

A thicker rear sway will "join" the axles more and with an open diff 335i, it will mean wheelspin city.

I paid $150 for the rear bar. $500 to install it since you have to drop the subframe.

I disliked it so much, I paid $500 to remove it.
Interesting information.
cbad335 is offline   United_States
      07-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
uberschnell
Brigadier General

Drives: // 135i //, X5

Rear alone has some less then favorable characteristics. It's been discussed plenty before, the front HR is only slightly larger then stock in diameter but substantially more rigid.

Do both, it results in a much more balanced ride.
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
uberschnell is offline   No_Country
      07-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
Craig@SupremePower
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: '12 Dodge Durango R/T

We have them IN STOCK and ready to roll!!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149891