E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Will sports seat from an E92 fit into an E91/E90

09-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
suki
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive M Sport

Will sports seat from an E92 fit into an E91/E90

Does any know if the sports seats (electric & heated) from an E92 (coupe) can be fitted into an E91 (touring/Wagon) SE i.e. non sport model that already has the standard seats but heated and part-eletric ?
Any advise would be most welcome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
no, the e92 have longer rails. plus the e92 seats fold forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
suki
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. I thought that would probably be the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
suki
United Kingdom
Rep

I tried the install of the sports seats into the touring yesterday. Partially successful but hit a snag ! They fit fine, i.e. rails and bolt location all match up. Also the electric connector plugged in identically to the one I already had for my standard seats (which were part-electric & heated). With the rail only loosely bolted at the front, initially the electric adjustment worked fine when I switched on the ignition. However after that I turned off the ignition and then tried looking at putting in the rear bolts. At this point I wanted to move the seat forward a bit and so switched the ignition on again. However the electrics on the seat would no longer work. Checked on the seating fuses in the car and everything was fine. Does anybody know if the seat electrics require an earthing thru the frame bolt connected into the body itself ?
When I put back my old seats and bolted them down there electrics worked fine.
Anybody have any ideas on what the problem might be ? Do I need to have something coded on the car before ? but the seats did work initially !
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
DAISH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On Sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran View Post
no, the e92 have longer rails. plus the e92 seats fold forward.
what will be the possible issue?

Maybe folding will be another nice feature
how about longer rail?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
suki
United Kingdom
Rep

As I said the seats actually do fit in hence no issues with rails. Yes you still have ability to fold backrest forward but that's not an issue. My only problem is that it worked electrically initially but then stopped. However I had not bolted the frame down when I did then test. Hence I'm asking whether that maybe a potential reason why the electrics did work or stopped working. Either that or is it some other controller on the car that is stopping them. If that is the case then why did they work initially (bearing in mind I had them bolted down very loosly at the time and only at the front).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

YES they are swappable, they are essentially the same car. If your seats worked the first time then something got disconnected and you should double check everything. It is doable and you should be able to make them work. Try it again and make sure you bolt them down correctly, I heard the bolts act as a ground also.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
suki
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys. I will try again with the seller of the sports seats. I was just a little worried that as my car only had partial electric seats and the new seats were fully electric with memory also that I may need to get some extra module or coding done at the main dealer to make them work. My gut feeling is as you indicate that the seat frame is being used for grounding and hence I didn't get a good enough connection that got lost after the initial time it worked. By the way both seats heated so I assume that aspect will also continue to work when I fit in the new sports seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

how did you get on fitting the seats? ive just bought some heated sports seats i want to fit to my car but the original seats are not heated and wonder if they will work and what parts i will need
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Hmm.. this is an interesting idea that I have never thought of. So if you're going from a standard E90 -> E90, you should be able to install the sports seat w/o a problem?
      03-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
hdrewh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90

Ok, this topic is near and dear to me, having tried to fit E92 M3 seats in my E90 sedan.

1. Really trying to get these M3 seats in my 328i

2. Check out my last comments in post #6 HERE

3. Bottom line for the OP is before going any further check that metal plate in the coupe sport seats because the coupe seat belts to NOT mount to the seats themselves as in the sedan,

How are you guys finding sport seats so easily? I'm dying for some.

Any other questions on what I've been through or suggestions, PM. I'm not giving up :-)

Howard

2009 E90 328i Montego Blue, Black Leather, 6MT, ZPP, Logic 7, HD radio, CA, fold-down seats, PDC. ED pickup 6/12/2009
mods: Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro's, Sport/Heated Seats, BMW Perf. short shifter, M-tech shift knob/e-brake handle/steering wheel, split armrest, black grilles, 50% tint, 3M clear bra.

Last edited by hdrewh; 03-10-2010 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 06:16 PM   #12
zygass
zygass
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: E90

Front seats fits perfectly, you just need to make sure that if you had not powered ones, you'll need to wire +, -, and K-CAN to your seats, that's only needed when you're retrofitting the powered ones ofc.
There is one catch with the front seats tho, there is no place where you can bolt your seatbelt, that's for you to figure out, i made holes in the same place where they used to be on my E90 ones.
However the back seats fits partially. You can see the image below which parts don't fit. (Door panels won't fit for sure).

https://ibb.co/zHY88SQ
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 04:00 PM   #13
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Why are you bumping 14 year old threads? JFC.
      05-10-2023, 04:28 AM   #14
Kotsy23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

E92 LCI seats to E90 LCI car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW MotorSport View Post
YES they are swappable, they are essentially the same car. If your seats worked the first time then something got disconnected and you should double check everything. It is doable and you should be able to make them work. Try it again and make sure you bolt them down correctly, I heard the bolts act as a ground also.
Would the E92 seats fit a standard E90 318D? I recently bought and installed a pre lci interior and have the airbag and seatbelt issue now. I want to install suitable seats and not have to tough the code. I'm pretty sure my heated seating wire and BUS port will fit fine but what about mounting the seat belt and rails?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 10:33 AM   #15
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotsy23 View Post
Would the E92 seats fit a standard E90 318D? I recently bought and installed a pre lci interior and have the airbag and seatbelt issue now. I want to install suitable seats and not have to tough the code. I'm pretty sure my heated seating wire and BUS port will fit fine but what about mounting the seat belt and rails?
e92 seats will work in an e90 but if you put pre-LCI seats in an LCI car you'll need to code out the active headrests as the car will be looking for it. LCI seats in a pre LCI car are plug and play (assuming all the options are the same).
Appreciate 0