E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > DBA 5000/Hawk Race

07-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #23
longodj
Major

Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to longodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
i didn't mean my last post as a value judgement

just found it interesting you are already budgeting for a rotor/caliper part swap before verifying whether stock calipers and rotors will be sufficient along with different pad material and brake fluid

also IMHO roll isn't something that necessarily needs to be fixed, and understeer could be caused by a user's inputs

i'm fairly cautious about spending money on my vehicle so i'm probably doing a fair bit of projecting here
Like I said before my desire for the biggest and best brakes is mostly one of safety. I am sure that the stock pads/rotors will work fine I just want them to work perfectly. Also, I guess roll doesn't need to be fixed and understeer can be caused by user's inputs. But, I fixed the understeer myself before fixing it physically and I can say that now I am moving at a higher performance level. I can take turns at what feels like a greater g-force.

I'm not cautious about spending money on my car, I just try to spend wisely. At this point in my life I only have to pay for rent, food, school, music, and my car. I have a job that helps me pay for it and I have a very strong interest in auto sports, so I see no downside. An example of my attempt at spending wisely is the idea that spending $2000 on a suspension will give me a more educational increase in overall performance than spending $2000 in engine mods.

At any rate, the brakes are already in the mail return to sender and I've already planned for the next HPDE using the money from them. So, I'm good for now
longodj is offline   United_States
      07-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #24
longodj
Major

Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to longodj
So...I'm in the middle of my HPDE weekend with RBF600 fluid and stock pads/rotors. The RBF600 DEFINITELY helped. Like....I can't express enough how much this fluid mod helped as there is NO brake fade whatsoever. However, yes, I am budgeting for a BBK next year (somehow someway) because I can definitely benefit from more stopping power. My tires are not giving way under straight line braking so I know I am not hitting the limit of my street tires so I can definitely use an upgrade. My rear warning came on today (day 2) and they are certainly looking low, so I'm just going to finish the weekend on them tomorrow (hoping that the fronts will go with them) and then bring them in for free replacement this week and finish the year on stock brakes.

It's quite scary to get a brake notice on track btw. I love how I looked down at my iDrive, saw a GIANT RED WARNING TRIANGLE, checked my mirrors to see if anyone was behind me and then rolled into almost full braking. Then I slowly proceeded to pit out a defeated and broken man back to my space where I realized that it wasn't even a sensor, it was just a friggin mile marker so I went right back on track and proceeded to thrash it. Then after the session was over I jacked the rear up and removed a rear wheel only to see that the rear pads were in fact getting low. Damn...BMW....rabble....
longodj is offline   United_States