E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > help diagnosing (brake?) noise

07-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
jadeddjay
Major

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
help diagnosing (brake?) noise

background: i have jic/cross coilovers and sway barbarian sways, morr alloy vs7 with ps2's

first there was a noise coming from the front passenger brake area. theres a loud metalic CLUNK every time i brake for the first time going in one direction. so i roll forward, brake *clunk* roll backwards, brake, *clunk*. i thought it was the suspension but i had all the bolts checked twice.

the second time, we took apart the brakes and found that the brake pad was very loose. when you wiggle it, it replicates the noise. the mechanic said that sometimes the pads can warp and clunk like that in cars with floating calipers. he says it does that with race cars and when the car is rolling, the pads will catch and fall, catch and fall, catch and fall and make a constant noise.

i took the car to the local dealer. they said my brakes were fine, and that it could be my after market suspension and that it would cost me money to check it out. i told them to take a hike, politely

so fastforward to last night. i havent driven my car in a bout 1.5 weeks. i am driving, it is getting dark, and i am making a U turn on this median turn lane thing. in the last second, theres this huge chunk of concrete in the lane and it was too late for me to do anything about it. i roll over it with the middle of the car, made a terrible noise, lifted my car a bit and then i guess my car crushed it.

so as i am driving, now, theres this *ClockClockClockClock* sound coming from the passenger brake area. not the same metallic clunk but more of a dullish thud. its frequency gets faster as i drive faster. it is independent of my clutch or anything else. but when i am hard on the brakes, it seems to go away. when i turn really hard it gets louder. when i am decelerating under engine load, it gets louder.

after a few miles it goes away completely, but after my car has been parked for a while (presumably when it has cooled down) it comes back when i start it and start moving again, but then goes away after a short while. after it had gone away, i back into my very elevated driveway and it came back as i was backing in (presumably caused by the change in angle)

so... do you think this is all related to the brakes? could it be strange coincidence that it started because of the big chunk of concrete? could that jarring situation have been the last straw for the pad and its doing that catch-fall thing described by the mechanic?

has this ever happened to anyone??

any help would be appreciated. i really hope this is a simple fix
jadeddjay is offline   United_States
      07-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator

Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about your problem. I haven't heard about it before. Hopefully, someone can chime in and help you out.

GL!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Bimmer335i07 is offline   United_States
      07-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
sambonator
Samtaro!

Drives: a car

It sounds like two unrelated issues... but I don't think anyone can say without taking a look.
      07-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
marcvtec
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

tierod/axleboot ?
warped rotor ?
pads sticking to rotor ?
caliper out of wack ?
rim/tire touching something ?

just a few I could think of
      07-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
jadeddjay
Major

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
so i went to gateway today (and they rock btw)
they put my car up on the lift free of charge and spent some time diagnosing

in the moment last night, it was already too late to dodge so i tried to go rigth over it in the middle. it first hit the jack point looking thing right in the middle of the front of the car, just behind the oil drain door. then went back, dented the exhaust (thank god i didnt have my rennart installed yet) dented the secondary cat, and majorly bent the support bracket between the secondary cats and the xpipe. in doing so, it pushed up the exhaust above it, which then pushed up the heathshield above that. so the sound that im hearing is the drive shaft rubbing against the heat shield

the problem now is that it is in intermittent sound. either there is a knuckle there, or the drive shaft is bent. besides the noise, my car feels and sounds normal. how much driveshaft damage would it take until i can actually feel it?

i really hope its just the heat shield rubbing against a knuckle or something
i have attached pictures for reference. not of my car... i suppose i should have brought a camera, sorry

Attached Images

jadeddjay is offline   United_States
      07-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
nicknaz
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012 Z4 35i

check the tightness of the axle nut. If the torque is not to spec, replace with a new axle nut.

I had a similar sound in my WRX after a brake replacement and the axle nut had somehow backed out
nicknaz is offline   United_States
      07-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
hov333
Captain

Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Send a message via AIM to hov333
hey bro, i have a very similar squeeking sound that comes on certain bumps (also independent of clutch or brake), along with that on the same side of the car, i hear a quieter squeeking that happens only when i press the gas pedal at low speeds, and varies with wheel speed.

Do you know what the torque speq is suppossed to be for the axle nut? I'm hoping this is what is causing the problem. My shop did have to loosen this bolt in order to install my coilovers. I'm hoping the sound is either from the nut not being tight enough, or something to do with the brakes (eventhough no one has touched those)

please let me know if anything developes, and i will likewise do the same.

2008 AW/CR 335xi 6MT premium sport comfort
Procede V3|UR catless DP|Eisenhaus 2ndary cat-delete|Defi Racer Gauges|Bastuck Quad Exhaust|cone filters|KW V3| Aero lip|Vorsteiner V-35 CF Hood|Vorsteiner CF CSL bootlid|Hamann roofwing|DukeDynamics sideskirts|GP Thunders|DDM 5,000k D1S+fogs|Hardwired v1|Lumar tints
hov333 is offline   Armenia
      07-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
hov333
Captain

Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Send a message via AIM to hov333
bump...what's the axle nut supposed to be torqued to?
hov333 is offline   Armenia