E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

07-24-2008, 08:34 AM   #375
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Wow, that just baffles me. I mean, your symptoms sounded exactly like ours (caused by 29.2) but yours must have been a really different issue. Crazy.

I suppose one little thing that could help tie any of this together is when we hear back from Tyler. His dealer wants to clear his learning and see what happens. We're speculating that it will do jack sheet, but, we shall see.
This is what was done on 6/19/08 when I picked up the car. I think it confirms that I have or had 29.2 or 30. I don't know what I have now but she ain't gots no turbo lag.

2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #376
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
This is what was done on 6/19/08 when I picked up the car. I think it confirms that I have or had 29.2 or 30. I don't know what I have now but she ain't gots no turbo lag.
Wow, that's all a foreign language to me. Out of curiousity, how do you think it confirms you have or had 29.2+ (sorry if I'm missing something blatant on those scans). You know would would be comical is if they actually flashed you back to 27.4. I HIGHLY doubt that though...they probably don't even have the old Progman's anymore, much less the risk of BMWAG finding out they're pulling stunts like that.

Well, Tyler, maybe there's hope for you tomorrow. Fingers crossed, although I really have my doubts it's the cure-all.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #377
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Well I picked up my car last night. I definitely have turbo lag, that is no question. No tire chirping either. But I do love the exhaust note. Not sure what to do now.
      07-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #378
kptaylor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

In that scan, what does the message concerning coding the "AL" mean? Says it can be done 13 more times. Is there some sort of flash counter type thing? No idea what AL is, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #379
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

A couple of points on the recent posts...

In the scan, I recognize that number in the Target Data Status field. My tech told me I had 29.2, and I am pretty sure I saw that same number on the screen when they showed me my vehicle data a few weeks ago. I am totally shooting in the dark here, but it would make sense, no? i.e. you went from a version (510) released in December '06 (06-12) to a new version (530) released in March '08 (08-03). Maybe now you still have the 29.2 lag but don't notice it because you had worse lag before, due to a different issue.

Regarding Tyler's reset of adaptation settings, I thought I had mentioned it before, but I had that done about 3 weeks ago. Initially there seemed to be more pep at the very low end, but it is still lagging below 2700-3000 RPM and MPG is still bad.

Regarding tailpipe soot, I cannot say for sure, because I did not keep track of it before 29.2. After I took it back for the lag issue the first time (about 6-8 weeks ago) I cleaned it with chrome cleaner and it is now caked with black stuff, but I don't think that really proves anything.

And sorry AJerman, I have to disagree with you on the general claim of false advertising. I had read there would be slight turbo lag before buying my car, but the important part was that I test drove it. I distinctly remember being particularly impressed with the fact that I had tons of torque even when I was two gears too high for the speed. To me, the lag associated with that was acceptable, so I bought it. If you're looking for no lag at all, then this car was never for you. But I do take serious issue with BMW making my <0.5s lag into ~1s lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #380
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
Well I picked up my car last night. I definitely have turbo lag, that is no question. No tire chirping either. But I do love the exhaust note. Not sure what to do now.
Sorry that the inevitable happened. But, you DO know what to do. You've stuck around here long enough to know you've gotta write the BMW HQ's email, call BMW, and yell to your dealer. That's all we can do for now!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #381
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

I just realized the printout above is from when he got updated to 29.2 or whatever, not the printout for the fix.
      07-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #382
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
A couple of points on the recent posts...

In the scan, I recognize that number in the Target Data Status field. My tech told me I had 29.2, and I am pretty sure I saw that same number on the screen when they showed me my vehicle data a few weeks ago. I am totally shooting in the dark here, but it would make sense, no? i.e. you went from a version (510) released in December '06 (06-12) to a new version (530) released in March '08 (08-03). Maybe now you still have the 29.2 lag but don't notice it because you had worse lag before, due to a different issue.
VERY interesting point. That could very well be the case. Maybe he had UBER-lag, and now it's just at lag, so it seems ok.

Quote:
Regarding Tyler's reset of adaptation settings, I thought I had mentioned it before, but I had that done about 3 weeks ago. Initially there seemed to be more pep at the very low end, but it is still lagging below 2700-3000 RPM and MPG is still bad.
I missed or forgot that. That's no shocker though. That's exactly what anyone with a reasonable amount of knowledge about these cars should expect. Frankly, as Tyler mentioned, it's a waste of everyone's friggin time to expect clearing adaptation to fix jack. Oh well...baby steps.

Quote:
And sorry AJerman, I have to disagree with you on the general claim of false advertising. I had read there would be slight turbo lag before buying my car, but the important part was that I test drove it. I distinctly remember being particularly impressed with the fact that I had tons of torque even when I was two gears too high for the speed. To me, the lag associated with that was acceptable, so I bought it. If you're looking for no lag at all, then this car was never for you. But I do take serious issue with BMW making my <0.5s lag into ~1s lag.
Well, to be fair, you can clearly see, QUOTED from BMW's own site, the phrase "in fact, we've eliminated it [lag] all together." That's a pretty point blank statement. And to your last sentance, it'd be more accurate to say <0.5 s lag into ~2s lag!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #383
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just realized the printout above is from when he got updated to 29.2 or whatever, not the printout for the fix.
Oh. Could have fooled me too. That's not the way I interpreted it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #384
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
"...accurate to say <0.5 s lag into ~2s lag!
I'm not sure about how much lag there is in terms of tenths of seconds. But, my sense is that it has increased by about 1sec, give or take.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #385
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
I'm not sure about how much lag there is in terms of tenths of seconds. But, my sense is that it has increased by about 1sec, give or take.
You still on for tomorrow morning? Lay the smackdown!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #386
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
VERY interesting point. That could very well be the case. Maybe he had UBER-lag, and now it's just at lag, so it seems ok.

I missed or forgot that. That's no shocker though. That's exactly what anyone with a reasonable amount of knowledge about these cars should expect. Frankly, as Tyler mentioned, it's a waste of everyone's friggin time to expect clearing adaptation to fix jack. Oh well...baby steps.

Well, to be fair, you can clearly see, QUOTED from BMW's own site, the phrase "in fact, we've eliminated it [lag] all together." That's a pretty point blank statement. And to your last sentance, it'd be more accurate to say <0.5 s lag into ~2s lag!
That's exactly right, I am now back down to .5 seconds. I was a 2 seconds.
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #387
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"...Also, print out the list of the 21 of us on the Signup thread and show them there's already a growing group of people plagued by this, and it's NOT ADAPTATION. Use your face time with them to your (our) advantage!
On Tues, I told my SA that there were "a lot" of people on this forum complaining about the lag with the new progman version(s).

Yes, the list is printed and in my briefcase. I'll show it to them tomorrow morning. I dont realistically expect much of a reaction to a list of "made-up" forum names...but, I'll give it a shot.

BTW - it seems like maybe there should be more than 21 names on the list by now (?)...I guess most everyone on this forum has a tune so they aren't affected by this b/s...

fwiw, after talking to my SA, I think the FSE and service manager now believe me that there's a problem with lag on my car. I think the snafu is that BMWNA just "cant" (read "wont") do what it takes to fix it. We shall see...

My lease is up in a couple of months. So, I also told the SA about 10 times that I would order an '09 335 if they could show me that they can get this issue resolved on my '07. I dont want another 24 months of this laggy b/s.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #388
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

I showed my SA the "29.2 check-in list" this morning...

He said something like "...uh, ok..."

They said they would have my car back to me shortly. I'll take a test-drive asap and report back. I really doubt that clearing the adaptations is going to do anything to help the lag.

I'm also going to ask to speak with the service manager.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #389
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9595 View Post
I showed my SA the "29.2 check-in list" this morning...

He said something like "...uh, ok..."

They said they would have my car back to me shortly. I'll take a test-drive asap and report back. I really doubt that clearing the adaptations is going to do anything to help the lag.

I'm also going to ask to speak with the service manager.
Well, print out another copy and shove it up his.... well, anyway, it was a valliant attempt.

We SHOULD have more than 21 names on the "check-in" list, but many people don't catch that thread, unfortunately, and the mods won't sticky it.

If they absolutely don't agree that there's a problem when you go back in, have them ride with you in a 27.4 car if they have one (probably getting tough to find them on lots now) and then in your car. I mean, we all know it's night and day. In MY case, my dealer admits it's a problem, but they jsut say there's nothing they can do until BMW fixes it.

Keep us posted and good luck, FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #390
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Keep us posted and good luck, FWIW.
Thanks. I dropped the car off at 7:45a and he said it would only take a few minutes to clear the adaptations and he would bring my car back to me (my office is only about 200 yards from the dealership).

I told him that I would like them to update me to 30.22 if possible...its now 10:20a, so maybe its taking longer because they are updating the progman?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #391
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly right, I am now back down to .5 seconds. I was a 2 seconds.
What color is your I-Drive background screen and what was it before?
      07-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #392
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Can someone explain to me how pronounced the lag is now versus before? I just got my car (MSD81) and I can't tell really if I have the extra lag or the pre 29.2 lag. I push it down, there is an instantaneous but somewhat weak response, but about 0.5-0.7 seconds later there is a gush of power.

Is this lag that you guys have, or is it like you push the pedal down, and you go 1, 2, boom there is power?
      07-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #393
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can someone explain to me how pronounced the lag is now versus before? I just got my car (MSD81) and I can't tell really if I have the extra lag or the pre 29.2 lag. I push it down, there is an instantaneous but somewhat weak response, but about 0.5-0.7 seconds later there is a gush of power.

Is this lag that you guys have, or is it like you push the pedal down, and you go 1, 2, boom there is power?
0.5 seconds is normal, you're fine
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #394
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
0.5 seconds is normal, you're fine
So people really mash the pedal and have a 1 or more second delay before response? I thought it was the 0.5-1sec delay...maybe it's just because I came from my 330i that is the NA variant.
      07-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #395
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
my MSD81 135i, has lag.
      07-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #396
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So people really mash the pedal and have a 1 or more second delay before response? I thought it was the 0.5-1sec delay...maybe it's just because I came from my 330i that is the NA variant.
Yes, > 1sec in the low rpm range (i.e. 1.5k-3.5k). Above 4k rpm, the lag is quite a bit less noticeable. But, the driving experience is not nearly as good when you drive the car over 4k all the time. Plus, the gas mileage sucks and temps run quite a bit warmer, in my opinion
Appreciate 0